• 1 Post By bigdogandy
  • 1 Post By Bleemus
  • 1 Post By Rocky Mountain Breeze

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-19-2018 Thread Starter

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock
Elecromaax alternator and serpentine belt kit

I need to thank @Markwesti for his recent thread https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electr...ge-40-amp.html ...... it reminded me that I had been procrastinating installing some gear I had bought to upgrade my charging system a while back (Miami boat show 2014, I think....).

Today I finished installing an Electromaax 120 amp alternator and serpentine belt & pulley kit on my Yanmar 3GM30F, with a Mastervolt Alpha Pro external regulator. I also changed up the charging scheme so that the alternator and my shore power charger both are connected only to the house bank and added an Echo Charger to charge the start battery from the house bank. I kept the old 1-2-Both switch for now, anyway. May change that to three separate on-off switches later when I replace the old 12V house panel.

The installation of the Electromaax alt went very smoothly - I had a couple of questions along the way but got quick and helpful responses from the tech support folks there. The alternator and belt conversion kit seem to be really good quality - a huge upgrade over the old Yanmar Hitachi alternator. I'm not affiliated with Electromaax and don't want this to sound like a commercial for them, but I am a happy customer.

Got out for a test run today everything seems to be working as planned. My house bank is two Duracell 6V golf cart batteries, and I have an Interstate group 31 for a start battery. I noticed about a .5 knot reduction in boat speed at 2800 RPM with the new alternator.

Next steps are to get the software and some cables to be able to program the Mastervolt charge controller, install a Balmar Smart Gauge (another piece of kit from the 2014 Miami boat show, I think), and install 3-195W solar panels and an MPPT charge controller.

Rum, whiskey, and port wine don't need refrigeration, but dadgum it is nice to have cold beer and that just doesn't happen on the hook without well charged batteries!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3960.JPG   IMG_3961.JPG  
Markwesti likes this.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-20-2018

Re: Elecromaax alternator and serpentine belt kit

Looks good. Keep an eye on fluid levels in the batteries. With that upgrade you will see an increase in consumption.
Markwesti likes this.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #3 of 8 Old 05-20-2018

@bigdogandy , Andy I'm glad to hear you are up and running and that the amps are flowing . After I made my OP , I saw JiffyLube's post . That gave me some pause but then on the other hand all you have to do is reboot the thing .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

post #4 of 8 Old 05-20-2018

I am not sure the speed decrease can be tied to the new alternator. If your fuel consumption increased at 2800 rpm I could understand that but if the motor is turning 2800 rpm your propeller shaft should still be turning the same speed as before the upgrade. Perhaps a slip of the keyboard?
Towguy likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-20-2018

Jees Rocky, For once I have to agree.with you. I used notice how much SOG increased after I'd Cetoled my decks.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-21-2018 Thread Starter

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Breeze View Post
I am not sure the speed decrease can be tied to the new alternator. If your fuel consumption increased at 2800 rpm I could understand that but if the motor is turning 2800 rpm your propeller shaft should still be turning the same speed as before the upgrade. Perhaps a slip of the keyboard?
Hmmm.....I assumed the change in speed would be related to the added drag on the engine by the alternator.....120 A equates to about 2-3 HP in load, I believe? The boat used to make almost 6.5 knots at 2800 rpm, now its about 6.0, and this is with fresh bottom paint and new prop (same size and pitch as the old prop).

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #7 of 8 Old 05-21-2018

2800 rpm is 2800 rpm, if you are getting the same prop speed with the new prop as the old but not the same hull speed then the prop is not the same. alternators do not put out power if there is no load. with everything turned off and the batteries charged there should be no draw on the alternator so the same load on the engine as the smaller alternator.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #8 of 8 Old 05-22-2018

My only point is that RPM is RPM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in