Simple AC system - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 06-21-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Simple AC system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Yes GI's are in the standards as a suggestion that is optional. Do I believe any boat plugged into shore power should have one as a bare minimum? Absolutely, but it would not be because not having one does not meet the ABYC standards. I also believe any boat with a AC system should be wired to meet ABYC standards at a bare minimum, especially with the recent land based NFPA / NEC changes requiring ground fault protection for marinas.
Maine Sail,
Do you think a GI is also part of a bare minimum for a boat with an outboard? On your diagram it shows a ground that goes to the boat motor. Is that the reason why a GI is highly recommended? In the case of my proposed setup, the power will enter the boat and go through a circuit breaker then to a 15A GFCI. Would there be a need for a GI?

Boatpoker,

When you state AC ground needs to be bonded to DC. Does that mean to simply jump a wire between the AC ground and DC ground bus?

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 06-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
No you're fine. Brainless and expensive but, hey, that's the way most like it.

So..... Because I travel to different voltage areas I decided just to dump the whole AC side of the boat. I pulled an extension cord out of the lazarette, bought a few powerboards and cut the plugs myself in each new country.

I do have a battery charger... A $20 car trickle charger in case the sun doesn't shine in a marina. Never used it.

Heaters run much more efficient straight from the power supply.

I don't have water heating. But then I use the marinas showers.

I can change 240 volts to 110 in 10 minutes.

Total cost of everything is almost zip....

But it's not 'integrated'

Mark
1st time I saw this thread...or looked at it....

Yes for those purposes junk the boat's AC.
good lead cords and a gang box and you are even safer than before.
Charger gets juice direct...all other AC needs plug in.
kiss......
post #33 of 38 Old 06-21-2018

The only difference between 110 AC wiring and 12-volt wiring is the wire gauge and whether or not the wire is tinned. The reason non-tinned wire is used in wiring homes is the wire in homes is usually not exposed to salt-water moisture. I know folks that live in southern LA that have tinned wire in their homes because the humidity level is extremely high and normal, solid copper wire tends to corrode rapidly.

Good luck,

Gary

post #34 of 38 Old 06-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Mainesail, (with my apologies to Jephotog for the slight thread drift) can you give me some additional information (model, p/n) for a true isolation transformer? One of my boating friends had a Gori prop, shaft and some bronze thru hulls eaten up by galvanic corrosion in short order. He has a regular GI and the marina said they couldn't measure any stray current on his dock. (He has since gone "off the grid")
I too would be interested in Mainsail's thoughts on Isolation Transformers. I've looked at a couple but as I understand it, some brands are noisier than others (hum).

Rebuilding The S/V Kompira

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 38 Old 06-22-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
The only difference between 110 AC wiring and 12-volt wiring is the wire gauge and whether or not the wire is tinned. The reason non-tinned wire is used in wiring homes is the wire in homes is usually not exposed to salt-water moisture. I know folks that live in southern LA that have tinned wire in their homes because the humidity level is extremely high and normal, solid copper wire tends to corrode rapidly.

Good luck,

Gary
I have house wiring down, having wired my own home 20 years ago.

I think the reason stranded wire is used in boats is because the motion/rocking of a boat will cause solid wire to break internally over time.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #36 of 38 Old 07-15-2018 Thread Starter

Updating this project.

I ordered a plastic junction box with cover and a 15A circuit breaker switch from Amazon. The junction box ended up being less deep and or the CB switch was deeper than expected so instead of mounting both the switch and GFCI outlet on the face the CB switch had to be facing downward. I like it now I just have to recreate the platform for mounting the battery (last one was rotten and torn out) and buy a battery.
Attached Thumbnails
20180628_121036.jpg   20180628_202816 (1).jpg   20180628_203030.jpg  

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #37 of 38 Old 07-15-2018

Sometimes buying your electric wire, boxes and switches from an Air Conditioning Supplier can save you a bit of cash and still get you the same wet location components. Our boat mechanic is also a certified air conditioning tech and he saves us quite a bit on wire by doing this.

Do the Isolation Transformers also provide Brownout/Low Voltage Protection? I have found when plugging into outlets at RV Parks and other venues that low voltage (under 116 volts AC) is also quite a problem that causes all sorts of electrical system failures such as overheated contacts/breakers, blown starter capacitors, burned motor windings, hot receptacles/plugs, etc. Since I started using an AutoFormer to protect against this in my RV I have not had an electrical component fail in almost 10 years while before I was replacing start capacitors and such in less than a year.
post #38 of 38 Old 07-15-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
Sometimes buying your electric wire, boxes and switches from an Air Conditioning Supplier can save you a bit of cash and still get you the same wet location components.
Our climates might be a bit different, we don't have A.C. in Wyoming here we have windows. There are maybe 4 months a year it is not freezing at night and any day in the 80s is a heat spell, people spend their free time on the river when it gets that hot.

I am hoping this mod covers my needs. If this Potter 19 really fills the niche I imagine it will, I plan on upgrading to a newer one in a year or two. Last parts are on order and hopefully will be sailing this weekend. Sailing season ends in 2 months and the lakes will likely be frozen over in 5 months.

Jordan
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in