How to connect alternator, solar and shore power to batteries? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 08-08-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: How to connect alternator, solar and shore power to batteries?

We got a similar setup minus the solar. Same 6x6 volt Lifeline AGM. Odyssey Blue top AGM starting battery. 100 Electrolux Alternator.
We run it through the ACR ( blue sea ) Maine suggested. Along with the bus bar also. We have an echo charger from the main bank to the starting battery. Follow Maine’s advice....he’s the expert in this area😄😄😄🤘🤘🤘🌪🌪🌪
dbrimm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 08-09-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

db-
I'm sure any recent (last 10 years?) edition would cover LED lighting. The only real difference with LEDs from an installation point of view is that they are polarized, they are often voltage sensitive (depends on what you get) and they consume less power. But if you are doing a proper power consumption table, "less" doesn't matter since you'll still just be running the numbers.
Solar controllers are also a minor issue that can be dealt with on their own. Price, performance, etc. all well documented these days. Which leaves only "lithium" battery issues, and unless you're looking to spend a lot of money and replace pretty much all the charging sources (if they are not adjustable for lithium) that option is off the table for most folks.
But all of those three (LED, solar, lithium) can be explored as "minor" issues as opposed to the complexities of an entire electrical system. They're things you can decide "yes/no" on very easily, and then just chase down the details if you've said yes.
dbrimm likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-09-2018

Dock

On my boat I route DC to my panel from my solar charge controller load connections. All charge sources are tied to a +- buss then to the battery 40 amp breaker at battery bank and 40 amp breaker at panel.this way I have only two wires to Battery bank. I dont have a starter batt as i have a pull start out board. All charge sources need a Suitable sized diode to prevent back feeding power most do but check.
dbrimm likes this.

post #14 of 14 Old 08-09-2018 Thread Starter

@chef2sail - Thanks, yeah I definitely won't ignore Maine Sails advice.. he's the guru as far as I'm concerned. With your setup why do you have the ACR and the Echo Charger? Isn't that redundant or is that the point?

@hellosailor - Fair point(s) and I agree when you put it that way. I guess I was imagining that the books could stand to be more updated and that they could compare the pros-cons of some of the newer techs. My background is IT so I guess I'm used to manuals and texts being updated yearly in many cases.

At this point I'm thinking I'll just get the ACR from Blue Sea unless someone wants to point out a problem with that?

As it is my inherited system works but is dependent on 2 switches being in just the right position to charge both batteries. I hadn't given it any though since they're labeled and it's easy enough to remember but we just came off a 3 week trip with guests (we have guests regularly) and the guest messed with a switch and almost left us with a dead start battery during a middle of the night emergency. Fortunately I have a jump-pack that was able to get us going but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

At the end of the day all I'm trying to accomplish is having the house bank and the start battery always be charged from whatever source is doing the charging without worrying about switches. I think I'm on the right track now?

Last edited by dbrimm; 08-09-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in