If you had a rich friend offer to buy your AC? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 11-21-2018

Re: If you had a rich friend offer to buy your AC?

Dometic, MarineAir, etc. I think they’re all about the same, maybe even purchased each other. I can’t keep track. Do some research on sizing. If you want this, get a fully self contained unit and just bolt it under a settee. You’ll need to install an air intake vent, possibly run duct work for the blower, cooling water intake from a thruhull below the water line and a discharge above it. A proper breaker and 110v hookup and you’re good to go. If you don’t already have these thru hulls, you’ll need to haul out to do this.

There are times I really value having AC, but they are very infrequent away from the slip. When plugged in, the breeze is rarely coming down the bow, so we get poor circulation and the AC is nice.

I do not like running the AC in our cabin, while we’re sleeping. It’s not just too loud, it’s that it constantly cycles on and off and wakes me up. We leave the one on in the salon and keep our cabin door open. That’s usually fine. Just something to think about when choosing location.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 11-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
what is a good AC unit for a 38 foot boat. Reliable, easy to service.
Well if that is now the only question, and you just meant "as if money is no object", might be best off starting a new thread asking only that question.

If answers are slow coming to this one.

Meantime here are the past threads, just add other keywords like brands, similar boats etc to refine the search

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...r-conditioning
post #13 of 26 Old 11-21-2018
Learning the HARD way...

To put this in context, this is (presumably) for the boat that Keith recently announced that he "finally" bought; a Wauquiez 38 Hood MK II.

My answer to the question is; if you are going to buy AC/heat then buy whatever AC/heat it is that you want to buy regardless of where the money comes from.

Speaking personally; I would NOT buy A/C/heat for my 35-foot boat, as I believe that it would chew up too much valuable storage space for the unit and associated ducting. In your circumstance, I would either charter a boat with your friend ($2500 should pay half of a week's charter), or I would buy another (likely newer) boat that was designed with space for AC/heat and associated ductwork.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #14 of 26 Old 11-21-2018

Gosh, sometimes this board goes so crazy with advice not asked for that I need to take a break.

We've got a 38ft sailboat with an AC unit, this info is 10 years old so there maybe better units now. It's a Marine Air, 10,000 BTU unit. Works great. Pretty small too. It's shore power only in my neighborhood, no genset in such a small boat, but I'd do it again. Helps me sleep on a noisy, hot, summer dock. Will reverse cycle too for a cold lonely winter dock.

Good luck with this and best to you and your close friend.
jephotog, bigdogandy and boatpoker like this.
post #15 of 26 Old 11-21-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks Capecodda! That's what I was looking for. The interior volume of your Dickerson and my boat are about the same. So you find 10k btu suffcient?

My redneck rig is only 7.5k and it does a good job but am looking at a 10k Dometic right now. Good to know I dont have to step up to 16k.

As for all the other crazy answers I now regret even mentioning my friend. He only wants me to be comfortable. We help each other all the time. It's called friendship.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #16 of 26 Old 11-21-2018
Dirt Free

Crusair, Marine Air all the marine reverse cycle units are pretty much the same thin walled copper tubing, proprietary circuitry and corrosion prone materials except for Flagship Marine. Flagship Marine units use far superior materials, no proprietary parts and have one significant difference. .....The heat side of the unit is straight electric furnace. I have never seen corrosion on my units.

I've had these units in each of my three boats since 1981 and since 1994 as a full time liveaboard. In that time I have replaced two relays which were $20ea. I simply would not consider another brand.

PS I installed two of these units my self, very, very simple.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 11-21-2018 at 07:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
Bleemus (11-22-2018)
post #17 of 26 Old 11-21-2018

Don't make your boat too comfortable for guests. They will come to visit and stay too long.
post #18 of 26 Old 11-22-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks boat poker. I will look at Flagship!

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #19 of 26 Old 11-22-2018
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
As for all the other crazy answers I now regret even mentioning my friend. He only wants me to be comfortable. We help each other all the time. It's called friendship.

Bleemus….I know you got some input that you did not want. I think most of the replies, were actually well meaning and thoughtful given the partial description of nature of your deep friendship, even though they did not address your initial question. I just saw the posts as a bunch of members looking out for a fellow sailor.

While I cannot provide any input on you query, I wish you the best, and a Happy Thanksgiving.

S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #20 of 26 Old 11-22-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Keth-
In RI 10,000btu might be sufficient, but then again, so might a couple of those Italian stand-alone portable room AC units, which can be thrown off the boat the rest of the year.
Further south, you might find 15,000-16,000 but is considered barely adequate for a boat that size so 10,000btu would be arguable. Even NYC has heat waves over 100F with high humidity, and there's more to come.
I think you really need to look at WARRANTY as much as cost and collateral issues, like the locker or closet you're going to lose "forever" because there's machinery installed in it for this. And the collateral damage from running vents and ducts, and possibly beefing up the electrical system. And of course there's room for extra breakers on the panel...isn't there always.(G)
It is generous offer, I'm just saying that you know how boat projects grow. If you DIY on this one, it may consume a week of your time. If you job it out...remind me again, how easy if it to find a competent *anyone* doing marine contracting of any kind?
"Done right" this isn't rocket science but it will not be a trivial job.

And, at least down south, there are actually some marinas that will bring a large portable AC unit to your slip and drop large plastic AC ducts into your hatches, to provide AC while you're there. Dunno about RI...just saying it has been done before.
SanderO likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in