SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   If you had a rich friend offer to buy your AC? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/326970-if-you-had-rich-friend-offer-buy-your-ac.html)

Bleemus 11-20-2018 06:48 PM

If you had a rich friend offer to buy your AC?

I just bought a 38 foot boat. It came with everything except AC/heat. I have a wealthy friend who offered me $2.5k to have a built in reverse cycle marine AC/heat unit installed.

He wants to visit us but is a bit overweight and can't handle heat. He also wants us to bring the boat north to RI and wants us to have heat in the shoulder seasons.

What would you do? Which unit? Best value to Ferrari considerations? I can install the unit, run the duct work but will hire a pro to do the AC power hookup. I am comfortable with DC but like to leave the wires that can kill me to the pros.

Thoughts? Budget? I can throw money at this too if it means a significantly better system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

RegisteredUser 11-20-2018 06:52 PM

Re: If you had a rich friend offer to buy your AC?

This sounds like a personal...thing.

Minnewaska 11-20-2018 06:53 PM

Someone is going to pay you to install AC for a single visit or will you owe this person something more? Seems pretty odd.

A self contained unit, installed under a salon seat is probably the easiest thing to do. I think this is going to start at $5k.

john61ct 11-20-2018 08:08 PM

If (and only if) you want aircon fitted in your boat, and if (and only if) the below suits you,

get the same system you would install if you were the wealthy one.

In your mind (only) figure you owe them crewed charter(s) for X number of days (aircon price divided by a fair per-day cost).

Serve lovely meals, let them lead the way (within reason) with their preferences, whatever you can do to ensure they have a lovely time.

After the X days are over, so is your secret debt, and you can go back to a more equitable and normal? mode of friendship.

If they offer to keep upfitting your boat, and you were happy with the above arrangement, keep going.

If such arrangements no longer suit you, make sure you honestly feel you've delivered good value before turning them down, as diplomatically as possible.

Do not (ever) allow yourself to be put in the position of feeling **forced** to do things you're not comfortable with.

Of course, a gracious and deserving sponsor would never put you in such an awkward position.

SanderO 11-21-2018 01:13 AM

I think this is a stupid idea. Tell your friend to charter a boat to his liking.

Installing an Espar system will cost a couple of thousand if you do it yourself.. and that's not hard to do. If you own a boat and are incapable of installing an Espar you probably shouldn't own a boat.

Espar works great.

I have no recommendation about AC, but it consumes a lot of amps and this means a gen set and or beefing up your batteries and alternator.

AC only makes sense when it's extremely hot and humid and there is no wind.

A more sensible solution is a lot of 12v cabin fans to move air through the boat. We have one where we sleep and that works fine. Is it's super hot and not wind why bother being on the boat?

Minnewaska 11-21-2018 05:18 AM

If this offer is essentially a clandestine charter deal, I would not do it. For starters, it's illegal, unless you're licensed and the boat is properly equipped for commercial use. Even if this is a friend, if anything went wrong, they were soured somehow or anyone was tweaked just enough to drop a dime to the USCG, you'd wish you had never considered it. Perhaps my bigger concern would be the potential for an insurance claim being denied, if they understood you were technically chartering under a recreational policy.

Friends can bring gifts, but be careful.

Bleemus 11-21-2018 08:14 AM

You guys missed the point. This is my best friend for almost 40 years. We have sailed 10s of thousands of miles together. Nothing to do with charter. He is wealthy and knows I was thinking of installing AC. He is just a generous person. I was there for him many times during his life. Once his wife was close to dying and I flew to his home and took care of his children for three weeks so he could be by her bedside at the hospital. Luckily they were able to get ahead of the sepsis and she lived. I never even considered asking for payment.

So please stop speculating about intent and tell me what is a good AC unit for a 38 foot boat. Reliable, easy to service. Never had to research this before and wanted to get some direction. Right now I have a temporary "redneck AC" since we bought the boat a few days ago and I have lots of projects to do. This is a short term solution.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...86fffdb656.jpg

Bleemus 11-21-2018 08:21 AM

Also, this is only for when plugged to shore power. We won't be using in the Bahamas on the hook.

AC for dockside in Florida and heat for dockside in RI.

SanderO 11-21-2018 08:33 AM

You need to give the background on this situation. This AC is for use in a slip only?

Is AC something which you want? Or is there something better use for the funds to purchase an AC?

I certainly can attest the the wisdom of installing diesel heat... it really makes being on board in any weather workable... so you can extend the sailing season... and the shoulder seasons are very appealing to be on the water sailing.

When is super hot and there is no wind.... that's the time to go to someplace w/ AC... museums. shopping... movies... Fans help but HHH is hell.

MarkofSeaLife 11-21-2018 08:37 AM

Friends are difficult to come by... And if this one is so big he needs AC then he won't be around for long. So relish the friendship now.

There must be good small air conditing units available now. And a generator to run it?