Cheap Wind Turbine - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 02-19-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Cheap Wind Turbine

I have not purchased it, but it's still nagging at my mind as a might-be-fun spring project.

I love this line in the description:
Quote:
The 500W Wind Turbine Generator features a special coating that protects the generator, making it suitable for locations.
Oh thank god, it's suitable for locations. I sure wouldn't want a turbine that isn't suitable for locations.

What I really wonder about is the controller. I have a pair of group 31 batteries and I'd hate to ruin them by overcharging from a cheap controller. My understanding is that wind turbines need to be under load, you can't just disconnect them when the batteries are charged like you can a solar panel. So most wind turbine controllers have some sort of dump output to redirect extra current so that the turbine is still under load but you don't overcharge the batteries. The picture only shows five wires on the controller, so I don't think it's that smart.

It says:
Quote:
CONTROLLER INTRODUCTION] ~ Model: FWS03/06-12 ; Battery Rated Voltage: DC 12V ; Rated Turbine Power: 400W ; Brake Voltage: 14.5V ; Turbine Recovery voltage: 13.2V ; Largest Discharging Current: 20A ; Battery Overcharging Protection: 16.5V (Turn off Load Output) ; Battery Discharging Protection: 10.7V (Turn off Load Output) ; Battery Discharge Recovery Protection: 12V (Recover Load Output)
So it says "overcharging protection" and in another part of the description is says "Integrated automatic braking system" so when the battery is charged does the braking system kick in?

I have a feeling that if I buy this I will ruin one set of batteries, then buy a controller that costs more than the turbine, and end up with a noisy crappy windgen setup that I don't need and spent $600 on.....

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 02-19-2019

Dock

I bought this one about 5 years ago.
It's fine.
Cheap.
Bearings on the way out now.
It will be OK for another tear or 2

https://sunforceproducts.com/product...ind-generator/
krisscross likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #23 of 27 Old 02-19-2019

That one may be suitable for locations but Mark's is good for tears.

post #24 of 27 Old 02-19-2019

Seems like those wind turbines in $400 to $600 range have better controllers, better overall build quality and last longer.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #25 of 27 Old 02-19-2019

Dock

Yeah. The controller on mine is great.

Only annayebxes is the 20amp cut off. So as soon as a gust hits 25knots and pumps ele trucity in, the damn thing shuts down for 2 minutes.

Other is that wind generates do not like variable wind speeds. They like a steady breeze... And a fair bit of it.

Solar is still better.
krisscross likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #26 of 27 Old 02-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I bought this one about 5 years ago.

It's fine.

Cheap.

Bearings on the way out now.

It will be OK for another tear or 2

https://sunforceproducts.com/product...ind-generator/
There is one near me and owner said it was Coleman/Sunforce. He's happy with it but it is a bit noisy compared to others. Quieter than an AirX though.

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #27 of 27 Old 05-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Just to be clear, I have a 22' boat that is more than adequately served by a 50 watt solar panel, I have no need for more electricity.

Nonetheless, I found myself idly browsing wind turbines. I came upon this one on Amazon:
Happybuy Wind Turbine Generator 500W DC 24V Wind Turbine 5 Blade

Yes, "Happybuy" brand so you know it must be good!

But seriously, how crappy is this thing likely to be? What's the difference between marine turbines and backyard ones like this?

You know, just in case I want to put an icemaker on my boat.
I was curious about the same thing. I ordered one and installed it. The mechanicals seem quite excellent. Cast aluminum, nice strong blades. The generator is a three phase permanent magnet unit. So regulator is easily remoted. Noise sounds to be as quiet as the best in the Boot Key anchorage.

The charge controller did not work well, so I made my own. I use a three phase full wave puck bridge rectifier, followed by a capacitor, brake switch and a Victron Blue tooth MPPT solar controller.

Average 10 mph wind produces 3-4 amps which keeps my fridge running at night. Maximum current seems to be about 15 amps at 14.4 volts or about 220 watts. I think the 500 watts is only achievable at 24 volts. But then again, I never saw the rated wind speed of 30 mph during my tests. My first circuit used the Victron 30 amp. But next ones will use the 15 amp because rated wind speed seems quite infrequent.

All in all, it worked so well I have ordered two more units which I will set up with similar chargers.

This works in conjunction with 400 watts of solar. We are extreme power users averaging probably 200-300 AH per day. With flooded cells and 14.4 and 24/7 on the hook, batteries never really get to 100%. So over charging is not an issue with us.

Brake switch is there to manual stop it. It only spins very slowly while braked.
Bryce
Attached Thumbnails
HappyBuy.JPG  

Last edited by BryceGTX; 05-06-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in