Cheap Wind Turbine - SailNet Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 12-05-2018 Thread Starter

Cheap Wind Turbine

Just to be clear, I have a 22' boat that is more than adequately served by a 50 watt solar panel, I have no need for more electricity.

Nonetheless, I found myself idly browsing wind turbines. I came upon this one on Amazon:
Happybuy Wind Turbine Generator 500W DC 24V Wind Turbine 5 Blade

Yes, "Happybuy" brand so you know it must be good!

But seriously, how crappy is this thing likely to be? What's the difference between marine turbines and backyard ones like this?

You know, just in case I want to put an icemaker on my boat.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-05-2018

Dock
Re: Cheap Wind Turbine

"HappyBuy" sounds a lot like what my 'Thai' massager says....

It looks very similar to my "SunForce" wind generator.are the idiots so stupid to know they should call it WindForce?

Anyway, it's been fine for 4 years or so.

At the price you will have a happy ending.

��

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 27 Old 12-05-2018
Master Mariner

At that price, I'd wager you'd be the most hated person in any anchorage or marina within a year. We had a cheapie anchored near us (not quite next to us) a few days back and we could hardly converse without shouting in our own cockpit because that boat's windgen made such a racket. I don't know if it was the blades or bearings, but it was awful.
Occasionally, we get invited aboard a boat, and they must shut off the windgen so we can converse in the cockpit. I've met a few folks who have noisy windgens who joke that they can tell the wind speed from the noise their windgen makes and one woman who thought the racket her windgen made was really 'neat' because when it was making all that noise, it was producing green power. I gently reminded her that now, instead of emissions pollution, she was making noise pollution. She did not think that at all funny.
I spent the better part of 2 years checking out windgens before I dropped my dime. No way I wanted to be a noise polluter!
But do consider that a windgen will probably average something in the range of a quarter to a third of an amp per hour, overall. Not worth the investment or noise unless you really need a few extra amps of charging at night.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 27 Old 12-05-2018

Dock

I've had a few gf's where a very loud wind generator has been a benifit.
chef2sail likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 27 Old 12-06-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I've had a few gf's where a very loud wind generator has been a benifit.
Mark, you've got to stop bragging. lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

post #6 of 27 Old 12-06-2018

Iirc, there are 3 or so really good ones now...d400, superwind and another...duh, forgot it.

But youre looking at a several $k
And it is another system to manage..in addition to your solar

Northern lats with big wind and little sun, sure, thats your trick
post #7 of 27 Old 12-07-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Iirc, there are 3 or so really good ones now...d400, superwind and another...duh, forgot it.

But youre looking at a several $k
And it is another system to manage..in addition to your solar

Northern lats with big wind and little sun, sure, thats your trick
The third quiet one is Rutland. Actually, I have no knowledge of the superwind and how quiet or long lasting it is. The three I chose between was D-400, Rutland & Aerogen, after a lot of personal experience and research.
However, just out of curiosity, exactly how must one have to "manage" either of these systems? Both my windgen and solar systems have been in place and operating for YEARS and I have done absolutely no "management" of either. They have also been maintenance free, which is very nice.

post #8 of 27 Old 12-07-2018
Barquito

If wind generators are loud because of the bearings, I can see how expensive ones could be better. However, if it is just the blades, why couldn't a cheapo just copy the blade profile of a quiet windgen?

Valiant 32
post #9 of 27 Old 12-07-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
If wind generators are loud because of the bearings, I can see how expensive ones could be better. However, if it is just the blades, why couldn't a cheapo just copy the blade profile of a quiet windgen?
Cheap equals cheap and you generally get what you pay for but if you add the saltwater environment to the equation, you end up paying a lot more for the cheap stuff.
I could have bought 4 AirX windgens for about what I paid for my Rutland, expecting to get perhaps a year of reliable service from the AirX. So that means every year someone has to go aloft to change it out, never mind storing one aboard in case it fails prematurely. It also means at least twice the shipping if you order two at a time. I certainly am not going to try to save some money up front, only have it cost me much more time, work and money, in the end.
Cheap units have inferior wiring, inferior parts and inferior coatings, not just poorly designed blades. A few get lucky, but most who go for the cheap windgens are not especially popular in the anchorages. So, I guess it is a case, once again, of 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya,....?'

post #10 of 27 Old 12-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Copy the su33 and they have the j15
Lets try this again with the su35 engines...and expect something different...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in