Alternator dummy help! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 01-01-2019

Dock
Re: Alternator dummy help!

Is changing the tach to one that needs DC a possible option? Seems like that could open up your alternator options now and in the future...

Andy
Cruising
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 01-01-2019

Call these guys they know alternators https://www.dbelectrical.com/alterna...iAAEgLyEfD_BwE

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #13 of 24 Old 01-01-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
Is changing the tach to one that needs DC a possible option? Seems like that could open up your alternator options now and in the future...
I don't think that is an option as I believe the pulse of the AC is what you use to calibrate the rpm.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics

post #14 of 24 Old 01-01-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Call these guys they know alternators https://www.dbelectrical.com/alterna...iAAEgLyEfD_BwE
Will do. Thanks.

Keth

post #15 of 24 Old 01-01-2019
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Was a mod by PO. Current mount won't allow belt to be tensioned enough. Amptech 150a with proprietary external regulator that maxes at 14.4 but my batteries want 14.8. Their regulator failed after 400 hours. No warranty replacement. Don't want Amptech on the boat. Instead of trying shorter belt I want to simply system for easier repairs in other countries. I have an external regulator that I like that can see a max of 120a. Also have Blue Sea ACR that maxes at 120a. Both spares from previous boat that I trust. Can't use either with current alternator. Want to simplify system.

Surely there is an affordable alternator that can supply the AC I need for tach under 120a no?

The Amptech Alternator’s are well built but you can’t run a 150A alt on a single v-belt. If you have a good quality external regulator, such as a Balmar, it should be able to easily drive the 150A alt. The problem is the lack of belt to drive it not the regulator.

You don’t say what engine but there are plenty of alternator options that can drive a diesel tachometer out there. Check out the alternator section at marinehowto.com Alternators & Regulators

You could also have your Amptech rebuilt using a smaller stator / rotor combo for $200.00 or less. You’re not going to find Amptech level quality with Chinese imports such as those on DB Electric etc.. I would not be so quick to dismiss your Amptech alternator based on a bad regulator but it is too big to be driven by a single belt.

Another option would be to use a Balmar regulator, ARS-5 or MC-614 and de-rate the alt using the belt load manager feature..

Also a properly installed ACR on a cruising boat should never see more than a few amps at best running through it in order to charge the start battery.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-01-2019 at 09:08 PM.
post #16 of 24 Old 01-01-2019 Thread Starter

Thank you MaineSail. I believe I ordered the ACR from you awhile back as well as other items. Love my Bed-It Butyl! So even if the alternator is pumping 150 amps, even for a few seconds, the ACR would be fine even though it is rated at 120 amps? That might get me to reconsider my layout.

Keth

Last edited by Bleemus; 01-01-2019 at 09:23 PM.
post #17 of 24 Old 01-01-2019 Thread Starter

Engine is a Westerbeke 55a. 495 hours.

Keth

post #18 of 24 Old 01-01-2019
Dirt Free

Am I not reading this correctly ? I'm not sure I am buying this. Convince me you have an AC alternator.
I've seen only one in 30 years of surveying.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #19 of 24 Old 01-01-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Am I not reading this correctly ? I'm not sure I am buying this. Convince me you have an AC alternator.
I've seen only one in 30 years of surveying.
Well I won't profess to being an expert but my wiring diagram and the Westerbeke Service Manual says I have an alternator that puts out DC to the batteries but there is a terminal that drives the tachometer via a 6-8 volt AC feed via a brown wire. Is that highly unusual?

Keth

post #20 of 24 Old 01-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Well I won't profess to being an expert but my wiring diagram and the Westerbeke Service Manual says I have an alternator that puts out DC to the batteries but there is a terminal that drives the tachometer via a 6-8 volt AC feed via a brown wire. Is that highly unusual?
Common on diesel engines. the tach is connected to one leg of the 3 phase AC winding in the alternator and reads the pulses to give a read out in RPM.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in