Honda Inverter generator - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 03-23-2019

Re: Honda Inverter generator

Iím considering a propane converted Honda both for convenience and to avoid the fuel fouling issues. The 1000i would fit more easily into my aft locker when not in use. The 2000 (or 2200) would only fit in the larger port locker where I store fenders. So, the 1000 would be much more convenient for my purposes if the output were adequate.

I am what I am and thatís all what I am - Popeye the Sailor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 03-24-2019

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Re: I went with a Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2000 View Post
Yamaha has a fuel shut off valve, which is great for shutting off and running the carburetor dry to prevent fuel going bad and clogging the carburetor next time you need it.
My Honda 2200i Companion has a fuel shut off valve. It is part of the On/Off switch. See page 28 of the manual http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...X31Z446010.pdf . Of course for long term storage you will also want to drain the fuel tank and fuel pump. Longer term storage instructions start on page 59.

Bill
post #23 of 31 Old 03-24-2019
Marine World Classifieds

I've been wondering how people with solar panels use generators in their daily cruising life. What is it's main use? Thanks

post #24 of 31 Old 03-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'K View Post
I've been wondering how people with solar panels use generators in their daily cruising life. What is it's main use? Thanks
I converted to Electric Propulsion ten years ago and bought the Honda to use in case the winds totally failed and had to electro-sail. I also use it to charge the battery bank at anchor. In ten years I've only used it once for a long electro-sailing, That was a 40 mile motor from Nyack New York to Port Washington Long Island. Mostly it's used to top off the battery banks once I reach a destination after a day of cruising. Solar panels and a wind turbine keep things topped up after that while at anchor until I head off again.

I also fire it up when weighing anchor so the windlass load does not entirely come off the batteries. But, that's only for a few minutes.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 31 Old 03-24-2019
Marine World Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Quote:
I converted to Electric Propulsion ten years ago and bought the Honda to use in case the winds totally failed and had to electro-sail. I also use it to charge the battery bank at anchor. In ten years I've only used it once for a long electro-sailing, That was a 40 mile motor from Nyack New York to Port Washington Long Island. Mostly it's used to top off the battery banks once I reach a destination after a day of cruising. Solar panels and a wind turbine keep things topped up after that while at anchor until I head off again.

I also fire it up when weighing anchor so the windlass load does not entirely come off the batteries. But, that's only for a few minutes.
Thanks for that info. Helps me picture how the generator fits into the scheme of things.
mbianka likes this.
post #26 of 31 Old 03-24-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Hot waiter, air conditioning and battery charging. If battery charging:

If you have solar:
In morning to do bulk charging

If not you run it when you feel like it

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #27 of 31 Old 03-25-2019
Marine World Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Quote:
Hot waiter, air conditioning and battery charging. If battery charging:

If you have solar:
In morning to do bulk charging

If not you run it when you feel like it
What appliances do you power and what kind of power plant setup do you have?

Thanks for the reply.

Regards
post #28 of 31 Old 03-25-2019
bell ringer

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Regards
I have "standard" boat appliances so don't really understand what you are looking for

I have a small installed diesel generator and 640W of solar.

I run the generator if there hasn't been enough sun to charge the batteries, if I want to run the air conditioning, or if I want to make hot water. If I just want to run the microwave, toaster, or vacuum I just turn on the inverter.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #29 of 31 Old 03-25-2019
Marine World Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Regards
I have "standard" boat appliances so don't really understand what you are looking for

I have a small installed diesel generator and 640W of solar.

I run the generator if there hasn't been enough sun to charge the batteries, if I want to run the air conditioning, or if I want to make hot water. If I just want to run the microwave, toaster, or vacuum I just turn on the inverter.
I only have 2 deep cycle batteries on the dory and don't have any appliance to run except lights, bilge pump, vhf, and start the engine. I was looking to roll with a honda gen as a power source until I figure out what route I'll take.
post #30 of 31 Old 03-25-2019

Wife believes a daily hot shower mandatory, 6 gallon water heater x 3 days at anchor= generator.

"Just call me TB"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in