Ground on a boat? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 03-01-2019
Dirt Free

Re: Ground on a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
Kriss - follow the big black cables from the battery to where they terminate. Should be on the engine block, or a large bus bar that connects to the engine block. Thatís your ground.

It is most likely a bad mistake to connect to the green wires. Those are usually either for AC grounding or for bonding metal through hulls together (unless a previous owner did something creative with green wire!) and in either case are dangerous to rely on as a ground for any DC system.

I learned the hard way on this kind of thing, and really wish I had gotten a qualified marine electrician to do the work and educate me along the way.

Be careful.
This is incorrect. The AC ground (green) must be bonded (joined) to the DC negative.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 03-01-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Yes, that 4AWG green wire connects to the black cable bus bar next to the engine block and connected to it.
I would connect the ground wires for the wind generator and itís mast to that ground bus bar, with a separate wire for each that is the same size as the positive feed from the wind generator. Use good quality marine crimp connectors with heat shrink on all connectors.
krisscross likes this.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #13 of 23 Old 03-01-2019
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
This is incorrect. The AC ground (green) must be bonded (joined) to the DC negative.
I suspect he meant that the green Earth ground / bonding conductors should never be used to carry DC equipment current. We see this mistake often...
mbianka likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #14 of 23 Old 03-01-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I suspect he meant that the green Earth ground / bonding conductors should never be used to carry DC equipment current. We see this mistake often...
Thanks Mainesail....that is what I meant.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #15 of 23 Old 03-01-2019

There's a bit of confusion here ...

The AC and DC grounds are separate.

They are also connected.

This is more than a little confusing, but it's also the same way house wiring is done. In a house, the white (neutral) wire is connected to the same place as the bare ground wire.

However, it's _where_ they are connected that is important. Electricity will always follow the path of least resistance. In a properly installed system, the ground is connected to the neutral, but it never carries any current unless something goes wrong.

The upshot being, it _does_ make a difference exactly how you connect grounding wires to the DC negative. You need to ensure you do it in a manner that will not cause current to flow along the ground wires under normal operating conditions. This may be very simple in your case, but if it seems confusing at all, I highly recommend that you pay a marine electrician for an hour of his time to explain the safest way to connect everything.
krisscross and mbianka like this.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-01-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
There's a bit of confusion here ...

The AC and DC grounds are separate.

They are also connected.

This is more than a little confusing, but it's also the same way house wiring is done. In a house, the white (neutral) wire is connected to the same place as the bare ground wire.

However, it's _where_ they are connected that is important. Electricity will always follow the path of least resistance. In a properly installed system, the ground is connected to the neutral, but it never carries any current unless something goes wrong.

The upshot being, it _does_ make a difference exactly how you connect grounding wires to the DC negative. You need to ensure you do it in a manner that will not cause current to flow along the ground wires under normal operating conditions. This may be very simple in your case, but if it seems confusing at all, I highly recommend that you pay a marine electrician for an hour of his time to explain the safest way to connect everything.
No, No, No ! .... The neutral is never connected to the ground on board other than automatic switching at a source. i.e. inverter or generator. Doing otherwise may kill someone.
krisscross likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No, No, No ! .... The neutral is never connected to the ground on board other than automatic switching at a source. i.e. inverter or generator. Doing otherwise may kill someone.
You're correct. I wasn't saying that it was ... but I can see how my comparison to house wiring could easily be confused in that way. Thanks for clarifying.
boatpoker likes this.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-01-2019

Pictures say a thousand words. Would somebody post a simple schematic to clear this up?
post #19 of 23 Old 03-02-2019

The bonding system, wires that connects all the below water through hulls together, is there so every fitting has the same electrical potential. The theory is that if everything is bonded together, they will all have the same electrical potential and a single piece won't act as a sacrificial anode. Otherwords, you won't be setting up a weak battery and having a through hull disappear. The bonding system is NOT AN ELECTRICAL GROUND. Have had boats that are bonded and ones that aren't. Haven't seen a problem with either set up.
krisscross likes this.
post #20 of 23 Old 03-02-2019

Soon as the AC side comes up, the answer is, get a pro.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in