25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 138 Old 04-16-2019
bell ringer

Re: Realistic expectations for my house batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
AGM take charge more quickly than wet.

Never require constant filling with DISTILLED water ( hidden expense and again time and effort) AGM you don't sorry about battery acid leaking.
Let first say that I don't care what type of battery people what to use on THEIR boat and don't understand why so many seem to. So many batteries choice threads are people looking to prove their decision was correct to justify whatever it was. Get the batteries you like and move along.

But far as charge acceptance
- except a fairly highly discharged battery the acceptance of AGM is not much a plus. I wonder just how often AGM owners ever put in more than 25% as current/20 hr capacity into their batteries??? I bet most don't even have a charge source that could.

water/acid
- I water my FLA batteries 1/month and it takes about 10 minutes. The 4 of them normally take about 2 cups of water. That probably works out to about $0.50/mo. I wouldn't call that "constant filling" or much of a hidden expense
- I never have ever worried about my batteries acid "leaking"

If you want to use agm, gels, lithium, or whatever batteries on YOUR boat go ahead. They are just batteries, they are met to be used, abused, and replaced when needed.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 138 Old 04-16-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

hpeer-
If you are US born, the helpful folks at Social Security say that since you've made it to age 65 you will very probably live to age 86. So...you know, getting 20 years on the next set might not be such a bad idea. One less heavy thing to move around when you're 86.(VBG)

chef-
I'm an AGM fan as well, mainly because I got tired of replacing acid-eaten cloths. Factor in the cloths and maybe some carpet or other fabric, and the AGMs become cheaper than wet lead.
But I think your case of AGM vs wet lead is a bit skewed. You've gotten excellent but exceptional life from your AGMs, indicating a good charging system. Some folks have also reported 8-10 years from Rolls, Surette, and other top quality wet lead batteries. Most folks report half of that, regardless of battery type, so how you are maintaining them is more likely the reason for the great longevity.
And of course being sealed and needing no water is great--except, that gives you no ability to add water if there's been overcharging for any reason. That's a double-edged sword. The distilled water itself is trivial. 94c per gallon at WalMart, $1.50 at any supermarket in the laundry aisle if it isn't with the water products. If you need to top up frequently, that's again just a charging problem, not the battery's fault. (And how many charging systems are temperature compensated, or designed for marine use instead of cars, at all?)
In exchange for that, wet lead will be about 1/3 cheaper than AGM. Ignoring the cost of the inevitable acid eaten clothing.(G) So, not so bad for everyone, just not the right solution for all of us.
MastUndSchotbruch and mbianka like this.
post #103 of 138 Old 04-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
So what would one recommend to replace 4-GC2 Lead Acid batteries. My batter box is built to EXACTLY fit the 4 GC2 batteries, so I’m stuck with that size format. .
If you’re happy with them, why not replace in-kind? Do you want something new?

They’re 6v, if I’m not mistaken. I suspect two 12v batts could fit where your four 6v live today. Usually that would lower your capacity, in similar footprint, but I haven’t checked dimensions. It doesn’t sound like you want to spend the money for the weight, capacity and charge advantages of lithium.

Keep in mind, if you change to anything other than flooded wet cell, you’ll need to modify all your charging systems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #104 of 138 Old 04-16-2019

When we bought the boat ONE of the minor things the surveyor missed was the batteries were stuck in the bilge, not in a box, not secured in any way, and not even flat.

The bilge wasn’t working so I made a box under the nav table seat. It takes the 4 GC2 batteries arranged with one long and one short dimension on a side. It is not “tight” and there is a bit of a hole in the middle but it is a very compact arrangement. It’s a bit hard to describe the arrangement, but they do not lay side by side, or end to end. It’s not ideal, but it’s what I have.

My “charging arrangement” is two solar panels each with an MPPT controller, both panels charge the bank, a wind generator through charges the bank and has a divert load, the engine which goes through a charge isolator so it charges both the house and start batteries, and a Honda generator with a very old school heavy 12VDC charger, it puts out 50 amps and will get the batteries to about 15.5 V. The charger is not hooked up. When I want to use it, very infrequently, I clamp it onto the batteries and plug it into the generator. If it dies I’m out $150 (it’s not “Marine”, it’s not “smart”).

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #105 of 138 Old 04-16-2019

Distilled water is not trivial outside the US. It is not only very difficult to find, it is also very expensive when you can find it. The most common form is sold in quarts at automotive and marine specialty stores as "battery water". This is yellow in color, and I can only guess it is distilled water, although it says it is "filtered for purity using state of the art equipment". Frankly, I think our watermaker probably makes this stuff in a non-yellow form.

https://www.islandwaterworld.com/bat...d-prix-mi80002

Note that that is a very good price for this. I've paid $5-6 per quart in Panama and Guatemala.

While I loved our FLA banks, and think they are the best bang for the money, and that maintaining them is over-emphasized, I did find them to be a pain outside the USA. I would stock 5 gallons of distilled water when I could find it. That was 50lbs and filled the same space as the batteries themselves.

If you have new FLA's, then you won't be needing much water. As they age, they become quite thirsty. Owning older FLA's in Panama becomes a challenge at time for the silly fact of water...

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #106 of 138 Old 04-16-2019

The fla 'auto waterung' systems seem to me as a problem...that will arise.
Plumbing
post #107 of 138 Old 04-16-2019

We just sold a nice FLA bank with an automatic watering system. For the 3 months I used it, that watering system was really nice. Definitely worth the cost if you have FLA. I balked at it in the past because it isn't too difficult to maintain FLA's, but I must admit it is ridiculously nice to just occasionally squeeze a bulb whenever you think about it and have all of the battery cells get exactly the right amount of water without ever removing the caps. Could probably even hook it up to a pump with an adjustable pressure switch to be truly automatic.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #108 of 138 Old 4 Weeks Ago
bell ringer

There ways to get pure water for a battery besides distilled. I was in water treatment and carried a bottle of ion exchange resin with me that made basically pure water from tap water

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #109 of 138 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
When we bought the boat ONE of the minor things the surveyor missed was the batteries were stuck in the bilge, not in a box, not secured in any way, and not even flat.
That is one seriously incompetent surveyor! How does a surveyor miss such a serious problem? That's the kind of thing that even the volunteer "Courtesey Safety Inspectors" look at when our club does annual safety inspections!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #110 of 138 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
That is one seriously incompetent surveyor! How does a surveyor miss such a serious problem? That's the kind of thing that even the volunteer "Courtesey Safety Inspectors" look at when our club does annual safety inspections!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Well, he also missed the fact that the bilge pump (not functional), was under the muffler, which was under the drive shaft. In order to change the bilge pump you had to haul, pull he shaft, remove the muffler; THEN you could change the bilge pump.

I could go on, Ive seen a couple like this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in