Realistic expectations for my house batteries - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 138 Old 04-10-2019

Re: Realistic expectations for my house batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
What comparative test is that? Have you got a link?
They never published results, perhaps not completed. Was before SG200 came out too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 138 Old 04-10-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

john-
#19: "or you switch from a desiel engine to electric."
post #43 of 138 Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
They never published results, perhaps not completed. Was before SG200 came out too.
You have so much intimate knowledge of so much unpublished stuff, John - like your own unpublished lithium battery installation (done to perfection, as you are always telling everyone).

Since you actually have the information on hand of your own lithium battery installation, why don't you describe it to us? A picture would be necessary. After all, you have been asked for even just the tiniest amount of proof you have any experience in this at all on so many forums - something you refuse to divulge, while digging into everyone else's actual experience.

Personally, I think this emperor has no clothes.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #44 of 138 Old 04-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Personally, I think this emperor has no clothes.

Mark
Okay, I'm breaking out the popcorn!
post #45 of 138 Old 04-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Aside from a few "showboats" so to speak, no one has built a real boat powered 100% by solar. Nowhere near it.
I would say you're correct. But I wasn't referring to electric propulsion. I meant the goal would be 100% solar for electric requirements so that a generator is not required at all. Main engine would be a backup, but we all know that running the main to recharge batteries is not a proper practice.

So my point was that based on above, that lithium sounds like it will capture every watt generated from solar panels, as opposed to FLA which only captures a small percentage for that last 20% (absorption/float) or so while it is topping up.
post #46 of 138 Old 04-11-2019

As soon as the LFP bank is Full, then the panel output is just as "wasted".

Don't worry about avoiding that "waste" for now, a minor issue, and inherent in proper sizing for variable weather conditions.

The key differences are the higher CAR and no need to get to Full.

So yes, you could in theory just expand the bank until every watt hour of solar output is captured.

But that would be silly if far larger than your usage requires.

Yes, how much solar you can fit and still have a beautiful well-sailing boat is usually your limiting factor.

Best to have a supplementary ICE source. LFP lets you "capture" all of **that** output to reduce run time drastically compared to lead.

Which means an owner that prefers fewer panels has greater flexibility.

So, size the bank for your usage requirements, use solar to reduce ICE runtime, yes LFP is a great improvement but not required, nor are its advantages directly tied to solar specifically

Last edited by john61ct; 04-11-2019 at 08:29 AM.
post #47 of 138 Old 04-11-2019

Thinking about replacing batteries myself. 4 - 12v GC batteries, 430AH capacity.

Low load boat, all LED, we keep the vHF on 24/7, reffer runs about 15-20 mins/ hour in the Carribean heat. We charge our iPhknes and laptops. That痴 about it.

Wind generator output is related to wind speed: very roughly 40A @ 45 knots, [email protected], 2.5 @ 15. So if you are exposed to the fill tradesmen D痴 you are getting good juice, elsewhere not so much.

My solar panels have a lot of shade. Something silly I had not considered is that in the trades you may E-W, so obstructiknsnin the S side of the panels really screws with them. I値l be relocating the panels and moving the radar to partially address this.

We are on the boat about 6 months/year, living on the hook. Honda generator. No opportunity to hit the FLA batteries with a equalization charge. I知 not feeling the love for spending big bucks on batteries. I知 kinda in the mood to get what I can from what I have and accept a shorter life span, just part of the boats consumables. Part of keeping it simple.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #48 of 138 Old 04-11-2019

Time flies, and our Smart gauge is still working fine. Or, at least it has bamboozled me into believing in it!
At the time of the install I was influenced by Maine Sail's endorsement, and am still glad I made this change.
2016: New Batteries, New Smartgauge - Blogs - EY.o Information Exchange

Like so many problems with our boats, this might just be one of several "correct" solutions!

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #49 of 138 Old 04-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Thinking about replacing batteries myself... I知 not feeling the love for spending big bucks on batteries. I知 kinda in the mood to get what I can from what I have and accept a shorter life span, just part of the boats consumables. Part of keeping it simple.
And that's probably the most realistic attitude!

There are some on these threads who have the budget and inclination to install the best of everything on their boats. Then there was one guy I remember who commented that he goes to Walmart and buys a big cheap starter battery (not deep discharge), uses it for a year or so until it is dead, then buys a new one.

Now that is being practical

I suppose the only thing more "simplistic" than that is buying oil lamps and being old school. However, oil lamps are much more harmful to the environment that a tiny solar panel, small motorcycle battery and a bunch of LEDs (IMO).
post #50 of 138 Old 04-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
.....I知 kinda in the mood to get what I can from what I have and accept a shorter life span, just part of the boats consumables. Part of keeping it simple.
If that math works, it's a totally legit choice. I suppose it depends on how often they really need to be replaced compared to getting the max out of a bank. I do wonder if an approach like that requires one to install more ahrs in the first place, to have room for the degradation over time. Of course, swapping out batteries can be a huge variable too. Much easier, in come cases, than others. Not to mention the time involved and need to dispose of more generations of dead batteries.

There is another factor than just appearing to have the budget to spend more on a higher end batteries and charging systems. In our case, for example, we're pretty space limited for the house bank. The only way to expand it, would be to commandeer a neighboring hold and run several feet of parallel cabling. Not ideal. Therefore, I look to ways to maximize the capacity and SOC in the small space I have. For a power hungry boat, it's silly that the OEM only put 440 ahrs of batts aboard. I can get that to near 1000 ahrs, in the same space, with less weight, when I upgrade to lithium, which is much more appropriate for all the juice burning stuff aboard.

At anchor, with just the two of us, we can get away with charging every other day. Underway, we must charge at least once per day. Guests aboard and underway, twice per day.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in