Realistic expectations for my house batteries - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 138 Old 04-12-2019

Re: Realistic expectations for my house batteries

I look at batts as consumables... The OEM batts were flooded acid type and there were two and not terribly large capacity. The alt was a dumb 55AH one. First upgrade was to do large gels... and when those died I removed / rebuilt the bat box and put in AGM 8Ds (now on 2nd set) and a separate start batt, a new monitor... Link 20 (somewhat useless), 120 am alt with a smart regulator. The box rebuild was not all that difficult. The bilge aft or the engine was where the box was between 2 fore-aft panels and a berth was over it. The start lives on the starboard side of the starboard panel. No need to have a pan to contain battery acid or add water. Maintenance free is definitely the way to go. Amp rating is almost 500. I could add a 3rd battery aft of the two, but the existing capacity is fine. All the cables, busses and so forth were new. Regulators and echo charge are mounted on the plywood hold downs. Shunt lives in this compartment along with numerous fuses.

So I have in 34 years upgraded 3 times... gel, AGMs and the present AGMs. Cost per season is not all that much. Upgrades - cables and so on should outlast me. ;-) Not having 12v refer was probably a good idea as far as batteries go.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 batts.jpg  

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 04-12-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 138 Old 04-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
he goes to Walmart and buys a big cheap starter battery (not deep discharge), uses it for a year or so until it is dead, then buys a new one.

Now that is being practical
As in not having to think, sure.

Certainly not lowest cost when thinking $ / Ah / year. The Deka's at Sam's are just as cheap even taking out the "per year" part.

And time and energy cost on the swapping out is not nothing is it, compared to doing it every 5-7 years.

Now, maybe he's scamming their warranty, that's a different story. . .
post #53 of 138 Old 04-12-2019

There are just soooo many variables to this there is no single correct way.

We have comparatively small power needs for our size boat. And we live on the hook for 6 months.

Now compare that to someone who sails weekends but is otherwise on the dock.

Two completely different animals.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

post #54 of 138 Old 04-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
... Honda generator. No opportunity to hit the FLA batteries with a equalization charge.
Why not? If you have a generator, what stops you from running the batteries at 15.8V (with some control over the amps) for a couple hours every few months?

(it could work even without a generator with a little bit of thinking/fiddling but if you have a genny I really don't see the problem)
hpeer likes this.
post #55 of 138 Old 04-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
I removed / rebuilt the bat box and put in AGM 8Ds (now on 2nd set)
You are a stronger man than me!

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #56 of 138 Old 04-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You are a stronger man than me!

Mark
Hell no! That was like 8 years ago and I paid the yard guy to move the batts. These days I can barely walk! But I can sail since I am not on my feet much.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #57 of 138 Old 04-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Why not? If you have a generator, what stops you from running the batteries at 15.8V (with some control over the amps) for a couple hours every few month
It can take a **lot** longer than that, following mfg protocol, especially once the bank gets worn.

Especially since each unit should be done separately, which may mean the bank's not functioning the whole time.

And of course depends on the charger amps C rate output, are the units actually at 100% Full before starting - that alone is rarely under 6 hours.

Yes systems **can** be designed so that this and other maintenance protocols can be performed off grid,

but really best done while on mains.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-201841.html
post #58 of 138 Old 04-12-2019

John,

Exactly what I was thinking of, thanks for answering.

Using the Honda to equalize/desulfate batteries was explicitly discussed and the consensus was ďainít gonna happen.Ē And they were saying 16.2VDC IIRC. So I have to buy a different charger, then put into a dock for a couple of days a month, and hope it has a 60hz/110VAC connection. Looking at it that way itís cheaper for me to replace my 4 GCs every 3-4 years. Instead of every 6-7 years. And not have all the anxiety in the meantime.

It strikes me that that one way to read the battery maintenance protocol, to never allow the batteries to fall below 50% SOC, is to prioritize life expectancy over use. Sure I may run the batteries down more, but isnít that what we have them for?

But once again, there are way to many variables, what works for one guy is dead wrong for another. Itís sailing not religion.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #59 of 138 Old 04-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
It can take a **lot** longer than that, following mfg protocol, especially once the bank gets worn.

Especially since each unit should be done separately, which may mean the bank's not functioning the whole time.

And of course depends on the charger amps C rate output, are the units actually at 100% Full before starting - that alone is rarely under 6 hours.

Yes systems **can** be designed so that this and other maintenance protocols can be performed off grid,

but really best done while on mains.

6vdc Trojan T105 (225ah) Equalization - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Thanks for the link. Wow, 16 pages!

Yes, I am sure that to do it perfectly, all this is needed, and an A/C supply would be mighty convenient. But if it is not available, maybe doing it not the perfect way (using a genny, not doing it quite the perfect duration etc) would still be better than just never doing it?
post #60 of 138 Old 04-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Looking at it that way itís cheaper for me to replace my 4 GCs every 3-4 years. Instead of every 6-7 years. And not have all the anxiety in the meantime.

But once again, there are way to many variables
Yes, entirely rational decision. Maybe not too many variables, just that none are hard black and white lines.

But IMO, with chronic PSOC abuse a given, discharging "too low too frequently" should not be added on top.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in