SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   Alternator for Volvo MD2030 (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/329342-alternator-volvo-md2030.html)

jarcher 04-23-2019 04:35 AM

Alternator for Volvo MD2030
 
I'm trying to figure out if I can use a Delco 28SI alternator on a Volvo MD2030. It seems the original alternator and this one use a J180 mount. Is this all that's required or are there other considerations?

New OEM 8600312 Delco 28SI 12v 160amp alternator is a J180 short Hinge Version,

Maine Sail 04-23-2019 06:42 AM

Re: Alternator for Volvo MD2030
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarcher (Post 2051597680)
I'm trying to figure out if I can use a Delco 28SI alternator on a Volvo MD2030. It seems the original alternator and this one use a J180 mount. Is this all that's required or are there other considerations?

New OEM 8600312 Delco 28SI 12v 160amp alternator is a J180 short Hinge Version,

1- Most every MD2030 I have worked on used a 2" single foot "spool mount" small frame alternator. A Balmar 6 series drops in nicely.. This does not mean Volvo did not change spec mid stride, they often do, but to my knowledge they never used a 4" J180 mount on an MD2030. Some Volvo's used a Hitachi or Lucas Marine style mount, that is about 3.25" between feet, and a small frame alternator but not a 4" J180 large frame alternator.

2- Please confirm the linked alt is in fact a Delco 28SI and not a cheap Chinese knock off. A lot of on-line retailers are selling Chinese knock offs instead of the genuine Delco-Remy.

3- Any fitment of a 28SI frame to your engine will be 100% custom and will really need to be quite robust. It can be done but will require work on your end. The 28SI frame uses a much larger bolt to pivot on, and is a large frame alternator. There are also a couple of versions eg: long hinge, short hinge etc.. We offer a 4" machined weldable foot mount for custom adaptation of a J180 frame alternator. We sell one of these with almost every CMI-ED200-ER we ship.

4- Fitting a 28SI to an MD2030 will require a multi-rib belt system (serpentine). Even a double v will not work all that well with a 160A 28SI. Once you have a serpentine kit, you will be extremely hard pressed to find the correct J10 alternator pulley without having it machined.

5- After all that expense of pulleys, custom mount, alignment etc. you're still stuck with an internally regulated alternator.



https://isteam.wsimg.com/neb/obj/NTk...rs=w:600,h:600

jarcher 04-23-2019 02:47 PM

Re: Alternator for Volvo MD2030
 
Wow, thanks MaineSail for your incredible detailed reply. I guess I'll look at other options. I'm basically looking for an alternator that can source about 100A, is internally regulated and has external voltage sense capability. I'll look at Balmar, but do you know of one like that which would drop in?

Maine Sail 04-23-2019 03:14 PM

Re: Alternator for Volvo MD2030
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarcher (Post 2051597762)
Wow, thanks MaineSail for your incredible detailed reply. I guess I'll look at other options. I'm basically looking for an alternator that can source about 100A, is internally regulated and has external voltage sense capability. I'll look at Balmar, but do you know of one like that which would drop in?

Your alt sounds non-standard so a photo would be best. We manufacture an entire line of alternators but they are all externally regulated. A 100A alternator on that stock belt is going to need some current reduction via an external regulator such as a Balmar ARS-5 or MC-614H. To get 100A from a small frame alt you're looking at a 120A or larger unit. When cold it will really make a mess of that belt unless you have a way to current limit it....

These articles may help:

Marine How To - Alternator Articles

jarcher 04-23-2019 04:04 PM

Re: Alternator for Volvo MD2030
 
Oh yes it would have to be current limited. This is why I have the external voltage sense requirement. I am planning to use it in conjunction with a charge reference controller:

Nordkyn Electronics VRC-200 Charge Reference Controller | Nordkyn Design

I could use the existing stock 60A alternator but I would have to disassemble it to get access to the voltage sense wire which is internal. I was thinking that if I need to remove the alternator I mite as well replace it with something with more capacity.

I'll read your links thank you!

colemj 04-23-2019 05:12 PM

Re: Alternator for Volvo MD2030
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarcher (Post 2051597782)
Oh yes it would have to be current limited. This is why I have the external voltage sense requirement. I am planning to use it in conjunction with a charge reference controller:

Nordkyn Electronics VRC-200 Charge Reference Controller | Nordkyn Design

I could use the existing stock 60A alternator but I would have to disassemble it to get access to the voltage sense wire which is internal. I was thinking that if I need to remove the alternator I mite as well replace it with something with more capacity.

I'll read your links thank you!

The voltage sense wire is external on the MD2030 stock Valeo alternator. It is a short yellow wire that comes out of the alternator back and connects to a tab on the positive terminal. It senses the positive terminal, but can be removed from that tab and extended.

Mark

jarcher 04-23-2019 07:02 PM

Re: Alternator for Volvo MD2030
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by colemj (Post 2051597798)
The voltage sense wire is external on the MD2030 stock Valeo alternator. It is a short yellow wire that comes out of the alternator back and connects to a tab on the positive terminal. It senses the positive terminal, but can be removed from that tab and extended.

Mark

Oh well then I should be all set. Is this true for all the alternators used with engins A to D? I was told my engine was older and therefore used an older alternator. I'll make a trip to the boat and check it thank you.

colemj 04-23-2019 07:15 PM

Re: Alternator for Volvo MD2030
 
I don't know. Ours are B, but all of the MD2030's I've seen use the same alternator. This isn't true for some things like exhaust elbow, mounts, etc, but it seems true for the alternator.

Now that I think about it more, that sense wire might be just underneath the plastic cover on the back, and not pulled out externally. Either way, it is readily accessible, even if you do have to remove the plastic cover to get to it (easy).

Mark

colemj 04-23-2019 07:23 PM

Re: Alternator for Volvo MD2030
 
Yes, it is external. See the yellow wire in the pic.

Mark

http://www.mareng.co.uk/images/4501.gif

colemj 04-23-2019 07:26 PM

Re: Alternator for Volvo MD2030
 
I just checked part numbers, and the alternators are the same for series A-D.

Mark


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome