Alternator for Volvo MD2030 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Alternator for Volvo MD2030

I'm trying to figure out if I can use a Delco 28SI alternator on a Volvo MD2030. It seems the original alternator and this one use a J180 mount. Is this all that's required or are there other considerations?

New OEM 8600312 Delco 28SI 12v 160amp alternator is a J180 short Hinge Version,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Alternator for Volvo MD2030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
I'm trying to figure out if I can use a Delco 28SI alternator on a Volvo MD2030. It seems the original alternator and this one use a J180 mount. Is this all that's required or are there other considerations?

New OEM 8600312 Delco 28SI 12v 160amp alternator is a J180 short Hinge Version,
1- Most every MD2030 I have worked on used a 2" single foot "spool mount" small frame alternator. A Balmar 6 series drops in nicely.. This does not mean Volvo did not change spec mid stride, they often do, but to my knowledge they never used a 4" J180 mount on an MD2030. Some Volvo's used a Hitachi or Lucas Marine style mount, that is about 3.25" between feet, and a small frame alternator but not a 4" J180 large frame alternator.

2- Please confirm the linked alt is in fact a Delco 28SI and not a cheap Chinese knock off. A lot of on-line retailers are selling Chinese knock offs instead of the genuine Delco-Remy.

3- Any fitment of a 28SI frame to your engine will be 100% custom and will really need to be quite robust. It can be done but will require work on your end. The 28SI frame uses a much larger bolt to pivot on, and is a large frame alternator. There are also a couple of versions eg: long hinge, short hinge etc.. We offer a 4" machined weldable foot mount for custom adaptation of a J180 frame alternator. We sell one of these with almost every CMI-ED200-ER we ship.

4- Fitting a 28SI to an MD2030 will require a multi-rib belt system (serpentine). Even a double v will not work all that well with a 160A 28SI. Once you have a serpentine kit, you will be extremely hard pressed to find the correct J10 alternator pulley without having it machined.

5- After all that expense of pulleys, custom mount, alignment etc. you're still stuck with an internally regulated alternator.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:27 AM.
post #3 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Wow, thanks MaineSail for your incredible detailed reply. I guess I'll look at other options. I'm basically looking for an alternator that can source about 100A, is internally regulated and has external voltage sense capability. I'll look at Balmar, but do you know of one like that which would drop in?

post #4 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Wow, thanks MaineSail for your incredible detailed reply. I guess I'll look at other options. I'm basically looking for an alternator that can source about 100A, is internally regulated and has external voltage sense capability. I'll look at Balmar, but do you know of one like that which would drop in?
Your alt sounds non-standard so a photo would be best. We manufacture an entire line of alternators but they are all externally regulated. A 100A alternator on that stock belt is going to need some current reduction via an external regulator such as a Balmar ARS-5 or MC-614H. To get 100A from a small frame alt you're looking at a 120A or larger unit. When cold it will really make a mess of that belt unless you have a way to current limit it....

These articles may help:

Marine How To - Alternator Articles

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #5 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Oh yes it would have to be current limited. This is why I have the external voltage sense requirement. I am planning to use it in conjunction with a charge reference controller:

Nordkyn Electronics VRC-200 Charge Reference Controller | Nordkyn Design

I could use the existing stock 60A alternator but I would have to disassemble it to get access to the voltage sense wire which is internal. I was thinking that if I need to remove the alternator I mite as well replace it with something with more capacity.

I'll read your links thank you!
post #6 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Oh yes it would have to be current limited. This is why I have the external voltage sense requirement. I am planning to use it in conjunction with a charge reference controller:

Nordkyn Electronics VRC-200 Charge Reference Controller | Nordkyn Design

I could use the existing stock 60A alternator but I would have to disassemble it to get access to the voltage sense wire which is internal. I was thinking that if I need to remove the alternator I mite as well replace it with something with more capacity.

I'll read your links thank you!
The voltage sense wire is external on the MD2030 stock Valeo alternator. It is a short yellow wire that comes out of the alternator back and connects to a tab on the positive terminal. It senses the positive terminal, but can be removed from that tab and extended.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #7 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The voltage sense wire is external on the MD2030 stock Valeo alternator. It is a short yellow wire that comes out of the alternator back and connects to a tab on the positive terminal. It senses the positive terminal, but can be removed from that tab and extended.

Mark
Oh well then I should be all set. Is this true for all the alternators used with engins A to D? I was told my engine was older and therefore used an older alternator. I'll make a trip to the boat and check it thank you.
post #8 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I don't know. Ours are B, but all of the MD2030's I've seen use the same alternator. This isn't true for some things like exhaust elbow, mounts, etc, but it seems true for the alternator.

Now that I think about it more, that sense wire might be just underneath the plastic cover on the back, and not pulled out externally. Either way, it is readily accessible, even if you do have to remove the plastic cover to get to it (easy).

Mark

post #9 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Yes, it is external. See the yellow wire in the pic.

Mark

post #10 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I just checked part numbers, and the alternators are the same for series A-D.

Mark

Tags
alternator , md2030

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in