Mainesail DIY Crimper - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By PSea
  • 1 Post By hellosailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Mainesail DIY Crimper

I'm beginning my electrical system education and need a little input.

I just bought mainesail's diy crimper and all of the different atrachments. Here's a link for anyone interested: https://shop.marinehowto.com/product...lar-crimp-tool

My question is what brand/style lugs/connectors are recommended for each different application? I know he recommends ftz but is that just for use w an ftz crimper ( model 94284 recommended)?

What should I use for these connection types:

- MC4 connectors?
- Heat shrink connectors?
- regular connectors (ie, red, blue, yellow)?
- Anderson style connectors?

Plan to get the FTZ 94284 as well. Hoping for something used if possible.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 6 Days Ago
al brazzi

Re: Mainesail DIY Crimper

From his product description it depends on which crimp set you use, if you have them all you get to choose. Shrinks are pricey but still the most permanent. In my case I reworked a lot of original connections bu just shortening the existing wire as needed so I didn't go shrink, Again your call and I didn't have the tool and all the available heads. Good to buy the quality tool right away, good move there. As always MaineSail is the best source for a lot of things.
post #3 of 7 Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSea View Post
I'm beginning my electrical system education and need a little input.

I just bought mainesail's diy crimper and all of the different atrachments. Here's a link for anyone interested: https://shop.marinehowto.com/product...lar-crimp-tool

My question is what brand/style lugs/connectors are recommended for each different application? I know he recommends ftz but is that just for use w an ftz crimper ( model 94284 recommended)?

What should I use for these connection types:

- MC4 connectors?
- Heat shrink connectors?
- regular connectors (ie, red, blue, yellow)?
- Anderson style connectors?

Plan to get the FTZ 94284 as well. Hoping for something used if possible.

Thanks!
Most of those crimp dies are for very specific crimps. I did a mostly complete rewire of my old boat and used the "regular connector" for all my crimps. I used shrink fittings on all my terminations. The red, blue, yellow is for the different sized wires. Your terminals will be color coordinated to match the wire. Double check my memory but I think it is wire gauges 10-12=yellow 14-16 blue and red for smaller wires.

You can buy your wires and connectors in bulk from some places online.
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/mari...rical-supplies
Wire Connectors Marine Grade Wire Heat Shrink Terminals, Lugs, Battery Terminals Genuinedealz.com

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
From his product description it depends on which crimp set you use,

Thanks for the feedback. I cited the crimp I purchased from him specifically for that reason. Just trying to get a handle on which brand of crimps to use with each add'l option purchased.

Guess what I'm really asking is does crimp brand matter? If so, for each die mentioned above, which is recommended?

Last edited by PSea; 6 Days Ago at 04:31 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Found these quotes on MaineSail's site:

"marine grade crimp connectors with built in adhesive lined heat shrink are the best possible solution, for most applications, to use on a boat. As I mentioned there is no such a thing as marine grade terminals but that is what the better quality terminals have become known as. Heat shrink terminals, as seen in the top row, are expensive, but in my opinion are almost always well worth it. They are available from manufacturers such as Ancor, AMP, Molex, FTZ, 3M & others."

"If you buy from companies such as AMP/Tyco, Molex, FTZ, Burndy, Thomas & Betts (T&B), 3M, Ancor etc. and you will get better quality terminals than the cheap no-name junk that has infiltrated the country over the last 20 years or so."

"A good tip when buying connectors is this; if you canít see through the insulation, itís most likely vinyl, and should really be avoided. The vinyl insulation on this type of connector can and will crack and the raw metal thickness, where the wire meets the connector to be crimped, is very, very weak in comparison to top quality terminals from reputable manufacturers such as those listed above."

"TIP: I buy my FTZ heat shrink terminals from SailboatOwners.com"

Guess that answers my question. Hopefully it helps others!
SanderO likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 3 Days Ago
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Pretty much every tool maker and fitting maker says to buy the fittings from the toolmaker, because they have planned for a certain specific thickness of metal and the next brand might be planned differently. I think the reality of that, is that any top-name tool and fittings are going to work well together. The big problem comes when you mix in the no-name parts that could have been stamped out of scrap auto body panels.

With Anderson PowerPoles, a variety of crimpers (Molex, etc.) *can* be made to work, but because of the way the plastic housing fits around the entire crimped contact, it really pays to get a matching Anderson crimping tool. A number of suppliers sell them under their own branded names, but they are specifically for Anderson PowerPoles and pretty much not for anything else.
mbianka likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 20 Minutes Ago
Barquito

Does MaineSail still check in on Sailnet?

Valiant 32

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in