Shore power chargers don't make any sense to me ... - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 Old 05-26-2019

Re: Shore power chargers don't make any sense to me ...

Yes you need high C-rate charging

25A would be just OK, but that is **per 100Ah** unit

**if** you expect good longevity from your expensive AGM bank.

Really nothing confusing about it.

If you can't do the one, you don't get the other, simple.

None of this is new, if it surprises you you just haven't been paying attention, dozens of members stating the same, marinehowto.com articles linked to in hundreds of threads.

Now, what percent of optimum cycle lifetime do you lose by e.g. only using solar? Or only getting high amps a few times per month?

Well it's infinitely variable, DoD discharge, how often do you get to 100% Full, ambient temps, all these variable are intertwined, therefore cannot be quantified.

To repeat:
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
If you are simply unable to care for a lead bank well, then just get a cheap one - but still true deep cycling - so having to replace it more frequently is not wasting so much money.

Many (most) cruisers are in that position.

You spend what you have to, do the best you can, and otherwise what else can you do, just let it go?

Or, you change your plans and usage patterns, for the sake of bank longevity? probably not. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 Old 05-26-2019

Firefly Oasis batteries if been looking at buying those!!! what kind of deal did you get?
post #43 of 48 Old 05-26-2019

Not something to look for "deals" on.

Most important is the seller is working through NA master distribution Bruce at Ocean Planet, so you can trust warranty handling.

Next is ETA of stock, I've had to wait over 5 months, fastest has been two.

Worst choice IMO would be a seller with a direct conduit from the factory in India, bypassing Bruce.
sailforlife likes this.

post #44 of 48 Old 05-26-2019

You bought in.
And you dont see it..imo..john.
Now you wave the bruce flag.
sailforlife likes this.
post #45 of 48 Old 05-26-2019

Your own advice is the only advice you’re ready to accept. Just go with it and let us know how you make out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #46 of 48 Old 05-26-2019

So John, are you saying you now have Firefly batteries? Multiple ones, apparently, since you have waited for 2months for some, and 5months for others - and implied there were shipments between these.

Can you describe what you are using these for, as well as your experiences with them? Many people have been asking for direct experiences with Firefly.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #47 of 48 Old 05-27-2019

https://no.co/products/charging/onboard

They make 1 and 2 bank models, but on a 20' Flicka, most everything is a 'compromise', so to save space I've got the single bank 4A. We have 2 75AH batts and I've got plug in connectors for each and one of these little chargers mounted in wet locker. Typically I just top off the 'house batt' while at dock and assume the starter batt gets used little and is easily charged by motor, but if needed I can just reach in cockpit locker where batts are located, and swap connectors.

Having house bank on the charger when at dock, makes me feel better about running a bunch of lights etc overnight. We've got LED's most everywhere, but I still like knowing that when we go out in morning, the house batt is not depleted.

s/v Miracle
post #48 of 48 Old 05-27-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post
Firefly Oasis batteries if been looking at buying those!!! what kind of deal did you get?
There don't appear to be any deals available. As best I can tell, they're manufacturing these as fast as they can and still can't make them fast enough for the demand. There's a 2 week+ wait for them anywhere I've been able to find.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in