• 1 Post By Minnesail
  • 3 Post By colemj
  • 5 Post By Maine Sail
  • 2 Post By Maine Sail
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Color wire for series connection

So red is positive, and black or yellow is negative.

Is there a specific color wire to use when connecting the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of another when wiring in series?

I realize this isn't terribly important, but I'm curious. The examples I've seen use black.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Re: Color wire for series connection

Anytime I connect to a positive, I use red, no matter where it goes.
I've seen some battery installations w/the yellow and I just plain do not like it. Black won't discolor or fade. It's a good color for negative, just like green is a good color for ground. I've always dreamed of building a boat that has every single wire color coded and no two wires aboard are the same color. Imagine how easy it would be to identify a wire you find running behind the ceiling or the overhead.
If someone is so colorblind they can't tell red from black, then perhaps they have no business doing electrical work, just like those who can distinguish red or green can't get licensed as a captain. Sometimes one must play the cards they are dealt.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Is there a specific color wire to use when connecting the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of another when wiring in series?
It is very important that you determine the exact voltage midpoint on the connecting wire and tape black around the negative half, and red around the positive half.

The alternative is to use a dark maroon color, but it must be precisely the Pantone value halfway between red and black.

Anything else is dangerous, unseaman-like, and your insurance will drop you like a rock.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
It is very important that you determine the exact voltage midpoint on the connecting wire and tape black around the negative half, and red around the positive half.

The alternative is to use a dark maroon color, but it must be precisely the Pantone value halfway between red and black.

Anything else is dangerous, unseaman-like, and your insurance will drop you like a rock.

Bwaaaaa haaaaaaa!

I can imagine the order to a wiring supply: I need five inches of red and five inches of black spliced with a butt connector, with ring terminals on either end.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #5 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

The wire from the load to the battery positive terminal will be red. The wires between the batteries will be black. The wire between the battery negative terminal and the load will be black.

The red wire circuit cannot touch any black wire circuit or you will get a short circuit and let all the smoke out.
post #6 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

For series jumpers we use a red wire with a black and red shrink on the respective ends. Don't for get to label the wires too. If the jumpers are labeled, color coded and the right length it will be harder to mess it up..

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (4 Weeks Ago)
post #7 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks! I've seen mostly seen black, but I like the idea of color coding the terminals.

Are those four 6-volt batteries run series and parallel to make a 12-volt bank?

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #8 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Thanks! I've seen mostly seen black, but I like the idea of color coding the terminals.

Are those four 6-volt batteries run series and parallel to make a 12-volt bank?

That bank is four Lifeline 6V batteries, in series/parallel, for a 600Ah bank. Also note the fuse location which is within 7" wire inches from the main positive connection to the bank... The only thing not shown in that image are the terminal boots. They hide the wire labels so the image was shot before the terminal boots were installed.

We prefer to slit the cable end of the wire boots so the can be installed after the wiring is done as they just get in the way otherwise.

You can then cut slits for other wires entering the terminal, and wire tie the flap.
CVAT and Minnesail like this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (4 Weeks Ago)
post #9 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
For series jumpers we use a red wire with a black and red shrink on the respective ends.....
We have several series jumpers to create 24v banks for our thruster, windlass and winches (each are dedicated). All use red wire, as MS described, with alternate shrink wrap.

Clearly, some black electrical tape would do a sufficient job, as well. I've even seen the neg end of a red jumper that had black sharpie written on it. Not as tidy, but effective and perfectly useful.

OP's answer is red.
Minnesail likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in