• 1 Post By RegisteredUser
  • 1 Post By Capt Len
  • 1 Post By colemj
  • 2 Post By JimsCAL
  • 1 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-12-2019 Thread Starter

Dock
Can a 220 volt Water Heater work on 110 Volts???

A water heater is just a coil stuffed into a puddle of water a bit like when you shove a toaster in the bathtub.

Sooooooo will a 220 volt water heater work if you shove 110 volts through it? Maybe a bit slower to burn the water...

Thanks,

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-12-2019

Re: Can a 220 volt Water Heater work on 110 Volts???

Power is proportional to the square of voltage, so you would only get 1/4 of the element's power. A 1000W 220V element will only be 250W at 110V.

Whether this is sufficient for your use is something you would need to determine. A guess would be that 250W would take about 3hrs to heat 6gal 50F.

Mark
MarkofSeaLife and capta like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #3 of 10 Old 06-12-2019

My concern would be that a lot of electrical devices will consume a given power no matter what happens.

Motors do this a lot ... if you've got a 100 watt motor and you can get 20v to it, it will consume 5 amps. If the voltage drops to 10v, it will consume 10 amps.

If the coils in the water heater work the same way, you might be doubling the amp draw to the device by halving the voltage. That could be dangerous if you don't have beefy enough wire/etc. Or it might just not work if you've got a breaker that constantly trips.

Can you give it a try with an amp meter on it and see what happens?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-12-2019

Turn the latitude knob...lower
post #5 of 10 Old 06-12-2019

Probably not a huge job to replace the element with a 110v element at the usual 1500 w.The heat sensing breaker is important to avoid waking up to steam bath when something bursts. Anybody with a stove (wood or oil?) will know that the breaker will kick off so important button to be accessible (facing a bulkhead behind the fridge??) Ask me how I learned this. (No back EMF)

Last edited by Capt Len; 06-12-2019 at 01:56 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-12-2019

Motors are inductive loads and work differently than a resistive heater element. The current drawn on a heating element will be determined by the resistance at a given voltage. In this case, it will be less than when operating at 220V.

I suspect MarkJ is someplace where a 110V element is not available. Otherwise, it is cheap and simple to replace them.

Mark
capta likes this.

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #7 of 10 Old 06-12-2019

Colemj is correct. The heating element is pure resistance. Power will be 25% at 110V. Best is to just change the heating element.
MarkofSeaLife and capta like this.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-12-2019
Master Mariner

But, aren't you over there in 220 land?
If you are worried about it if you hit a 110 country, that is one of the cheapest and easiest change-outs in our business.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #9 of 10 Old 06-12-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

The background is I am in France doing a little work on the big ship... Including a new water heater and shore-power charger.

The new shore-power charger does 110v 60Hz OR 230 volts 50Hz. So Iam kinda thinking is this a cheap way of doing dual voltage. If I said that in the post you would all die a thousands deaths of the internet.

When I am in the USA I am only threre on shore power for a few weeks at a time.. maybe 3 week in every 2 years. I wouldn't buy a whole new element for 3 weeks. Capeesh?

For those few weeks my shorepower would work and the water would warm slowly.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #10 of 10 Old 06-12-2019

I'm assuming that the only two things on your AC electrical shore power circuit are the battery charger and water heater? And everything else AC runs off an inverter?

If not, you can't just plug into any old voltage unless you also have an isolation transformer.

What are you doing in terms of shore power receptacles and main breakers for this dual voltage?

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in