Looking for battery monitor recommendations - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 54 Old 07-08-2019

Re: Looking for battery monitor recommendations

Yes Bogart makes great stuff.

Two of their SC-2030 can be controlled from the Trimetric, yes PWM only but a super way to get 60A with precise stop-charge based off endAmps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

To wrap up this thread (in case someone finds it later and wants to know what I happened ...)

Actually doing something about this finally came to the top of my TODO list. As a first step, I wired up the voltage sense wires to the BlueSea M2 meter (that didn't appear to be working properly) and ...

That fixed everything.

After a few days of charge/discharge cycles, the monitor is reporting values for SoC that match calculated values of usage. I am now confident that I can stop obsessing over power usage and trust what the monitor is telling me.

The lesson, I guess, is to hook up all the wires, even if you don't think you need them.
post #33 of 54 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Other than different displayed numerical values, how is you soc different than battery voltage

post #34 of 54 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Other than different displayed numerical values, how is you soc different than battery voltage
Not sure I understand your question, so this might not be the right answer:

The SoC is displayed as a percentage of AH remaining. I originally thought this was calculated purely by monitoring the shunt for power in vs. power out. However, it appears that the unit also takes into account the current battery voltage. Thus, the SoC is calculated from various inputs to the monitor, whereas the voltage is just the voltage.
post #35 of 54 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I think you can manage this with an accurate reading of the voltage... a gauge which reads amps IN and amps out.... with properly regulated charging sources.

If you battery is "down" it will take more amps.... when the amps it takes drops down to "float" your batts are charged. I think this is all you need to know.

If you are not using a high output alternator... running it regularly you'll want alt sources and you have to depend on those to maintain full charge. I am off the boat 4-5 days a week and some solar panels keep the batts topped up. Our constant loads are fairly low as we don't use a 12v refer.

My link20 which is pout of production supposedly shows SOC... never bother with it. All I want to know is batt voltage and amps in or out.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #36 of 54 Old 4 Weeks Ago

You cannot expect a battery monitor to be 100% accurate because the charge and discharge losses are around 20% over the cycle, and I think it increases as the batteries get older. But I would expect it to be within a factor of 50% at worst. I have a 4 digit DVM to monitor my Single bank. When they drop to 12.20 Volt offload, then it is time to start the generator. They are high quality gel batteries bought from a scrap man in the early nineties and put into service in 2012. I have no fridge so no problems.
The battery voltage varies with the type (AGM,Flooded,Gel,and plate composition) as well as temperature and state of charge, so that is why I don't bother with a SoG meter. But I expect lots of people swear by them and not at them.
Good Luck...
post #37 of 54 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Here is my initial post in that thread;

So far, despite that it does not support other chemistries, I am happy with it.

No affiliation with the manufacturer, or seller of this product. I'm just a happy customer.
Hm, when I click on the link you list in your post it goes to an item on Amazon that looks completely different from what your posting is showing. Is that the same thing?
post #38 of 54 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Learning the HARD way...

I find it interesting that Amazon has changed the PRODUCT that is available at the URL I posted earlier.

Here is the battery monitor that I bought; https://www.amazon.com/BUNKER-INDUST...e%2C141&sr=1-4

This SAME unit is available from several sellers on Amazon. Prices range from $30 to $40.

I am still using the unit. And after one season with it I find that it was money well spent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:04 PM.
post #39 of 54 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Might be great for you, but not a battery monitor that calculates SoC, nor even just an Ah counter.

Just to avoid confusion.
post #40 of 54 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I find it interesting that Amazon has changed the PRODUCT that is available at the URL I posted earlier.

Here is the battery monitor that I bought; https://www.amazon.com/BUNKER-INDUST...e%2C141&sr=1-4

This SAME unit is available from several sellers on Amazon. Prices range from $30 to $40.

I am still using the unit. And after one season with it I find that it was money well spent.
Thanks for the new link. Yes, that is really strange that Amazon flipped the product.

And there is something else strange, in fact very strange.

The gizmo itself looks pretty cool, mainly for the access by BT app and for the storage function. Seeing a plot of the voltage for a whole month, while the boat is in use or not, being charged by solar and other sources seems like a useful thing, in particular given the price.

When looking at some of the other sellers on amazon (the product seems to be identical, prices vary a little, as you said), I noticed several reviewers however who feel that what you pay in dollars may not be all what you pay: they have serious privacy concerns. Apparently, for the thing to do anything you have to give it privilege to the location of the phone at all times (!), even when the voltage monitor is turned off (!!!), see e.g. the top review at this link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0714DT87F...ustomerReviews The software that you have to install on your phone is (I am quoting from the review) "written in China and you need to enable location tracking even when the software isn't running. There doesn't seem to be any technical reason why this should be necessary and it could allow a back channel to the developers to track all of your movements"

I am not particularly paranoid about the guvmint or someone spying on me but this seems really fishy: why in the world would an app reading the battery voltage need to know where I am at all times? What are they doing with this information? It goes to some server in China where they have total control about my whereabouts even if I use the app once and never again?

There is another (independent) review of the same thing who actually looked in detail at the permissions, top review here:
https://www.amazon.com/QUICKLYNKS-Ba...NsaWNrPXRydWU= and concluded

"since the app looked suspicious, I downloaded it on a spare, empty phone I have. It requires all kinds of permissions from the phone and downloads all kinds of Chinese tracking software just to run a bluetooth app. It was scary intrusive. I decided not to use it."

As attractive as the voltage monitoring function sounds, I am not too fond of having Chinese tracking software installed on my phone. I think I'll pass on this thing.
olson34, SanderO and Minnewaska like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in