Quick! New built in fridge advice, seeing the guy in 2.5 hours - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By colemj
  • 1 Post By chef2sail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Dock
Quick! New built in fridge advice, seeing the guy in 2.5 hours

Standard Beneteau production boat 393, 18 years old. I don't use the built in front opening fridge as I use a Dometic portable freezer. But I have some Flash Cash and want to get the big fridge back online.

Its leaking and it looks more convenient to replace the compressor, pipes and the plate.

Current position is extremely difficult (imposable) to access so we will put the compressor in a deck locker (lazarette) with an adjoining wall to the back of the fridge. we will run the pipes through that wall. The mechanic has done a similar installation on a Beneteau 411.

The current fridge is about 110 litres.

Its just a fridge, I will use the Dometic as the freezer.

As its a whole new setup and I can buy what I like (thats available in France)

Questions:

Having installed a whole system before is there advice, trick, ideas that you've learned?

Any pitfalls to beware?

The new location for the compressor will be a much larger area. Should I buy a bigger compressor? (I cant see what size the current compressor is)

Thanks

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Quick! New built in fridge advice, seeing the guy in 2.5 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Questions:

Having installed a whole system before is there advice, trick, ideas that you've learned?

You are doing the right thing by replacing it all at once, even though you may only need to replace a bit of it at lower cost.

Make sure the compressor has a good supply of cool air, and that it has someplace to exhaust warm air and not just recirculate it. If you can install it in a way that it ducts in air and exhausts it someplace else, that's perfect. Even if it means making a cheap plenum to separate or duct "cool" from "hot" sides of the same compartment.

Any pitfalls to beware?

Be careful with the evaporator plate tubing because it is thin aluminum and can kink quickly from an inadvertent movement or hit. To make matters worse, the manufacturer ships it all coiled up and it needs to be straightened out to install, then bended again around corners, etc.

Also be careful tightening the fittings between the evaporator and compressor. Use two properly sized wrenches and not spanners or closest metric/imperial. These are easy to spin off or twist their tubes if a wrench slips while tightening. Don't apply ape pressure - the instructions will tell you how many turns of flats are needed after snugging or puncturing the seal.

The new location for the compressor will be a much larger area. Should I buy a bigger compressor? (I cant see what size the current compressor is)

No, it doesn't work like that. Compressors are matched to the expected heat load at specific speeds. Bigger will be inefficient and use more power, as will smaller. The manufacturer will advise on compressor size given your box size, insulation, and expected environment.

Thanks

Mark
Mark
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Dock

Yes the compressor will now be out of the cupboard into the lazarette that's about 8 feet long, 5 feet high, 4 feet wide. It has a lot of junk in it but always has free space of the top 3 feet x 8 feet.
Current location is behind the gally cutlery draw!

I discovered a the compressors are basically the aame: Danfloss BD35F that does fridges 60 litres to 130 litres.
Mine is 110 litres.

Positioning look like it will have much, much better air circulation. And fridge noise will be outside

Ordered today, installed by pros next week.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Insulation is the key also. If you can with everything out insulate the box more. It will be more efficient and the compressor will run substantially less. Doing tha 10 years ago our diet of amps for refrigeration dropped from 44 ah per day to 20.

We also have a water cooled options for our alder barbar super cold machine and use it in the summer. Give the compressor plenty of room.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in