Charging 2 different battery types - SailNet Community
 2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Unread 07-14-2019 Thread Starter

Charging 2 different battery types

Iím fixing to purchase a new Sterling Pro charger, and expand my batter bank. Currently i have two flooded group 24ís. 1 house, and 1 starter.

Iím going to add a 3rd battery, a group 24 for a starter, and place both the exiting group 24ís in parallel for the house.

My question is this, would it be ok to buy a gel or AGM for the starter for now and charge off the Sterling, without the add on thing that does different charge profiles? Iíve read that you typically don't want to mix battery types on a charger, just didnít know if the flooded and gelís were close enough for the time being.

Just looking at options. Eventually I want to go all lithium, but Iím not ready yet. So my thinking is just to buy a cheaper 3rd battery now and make due with what I have. The flooded batteries are only 18 months old and have quite a bit of life in them. Doubling my house capacity and adding a small bit of solar will take me a long way for now.

Thanks. FWIW, I plan on ordering the Sterling from Maine Sailís website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Unread 07-14-2019

Re: Charging 2 different battery types

Better to get proper deep cycling batteries for House, not recycle the G-24s. What are they?

GEL is too different, look at the spec sheets if there is no V setpoint that suits both, might want a B2B.

Or choose your batteries according to their profile specs.

What are your other inputs besides shore power?
post #3 of 19 Unread 07-14-2019 Thread Starter

My understanding is that Group 24 is the size. The batteries are marine deep cycle. 75ah. Some northeast batter company called “The Best battery co.”

I can always just get another flooded I reckon. I’m just looking at options. If I were to replace the two I have, I’d probably go with all lithium’s, the new Trojans, and size up to the 31’s. I’m just not ready to do that right now, and I likely get by with just the two flooded 75ah’s for quite a while.

Other charge input will be 100-150w solar, likely the Victron controller.

post #4 of 19 Unread 07-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemurray View Post
My understanding is that Group 24 is the size. The batteries are marine deep cycle. 75ah. Some northeast batter company called ďThe Best battery co.Ē

I can always just get another flooded I reckon. Iím just looking at options. If I were to replace the two I have, Iíd probably go with all lithiumís, the new Trojans, and size up to the 31ís. Iím just not ready to do that right now, and I likely get by with just the two flooded 75ahís for quite a while.

Other charge input will be 100-150w solar, likely the Victron controller.
Yes the BCI numbers are the physical size.

As I said, you want true deep cycle batteries, there are only a handful og good brands left, and few are sold in consumer or automotive retail outlets.

"Marine deep cycle" from those channels in 12V and automotive sizes are 99.9999% crap, fraudulently labeled.
https://marinehowto.com/what-is-a-deep-cycle-battery/

____
Can you fit a pair of 6V GCs?

The best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH @12V pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club. Deka labeled same batts also sold at Lowes.
post #5 of 19 Unread 07-15-2019

And sticking with FLA lets you use any of the dozens of voltage-following combiner gadgets, no need to worry about radically different charge profiles.
post #6 of 19 Unread 07-15-2019
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemurray View Post
Iím fixing to purchase a new Sterling Pro charger, and expand my batter bank. Currently i have two flooded group 24ís. 1 house, and 1 starter.

Iím going to add a 3rd battery, a group 24 for a starter, and place both the exiting group 24ís in parallel for the house.

My question is this, would it be ok to buy a gel or AGM for the starter for now and charge off the Sterling, without the add on thing that does different charge profiles? Iíve read that you typically don't want to mix battery types on a charger, just didnít know if the flooded and gelís were close enough for the time being.

Just looking at options. Eventually I want to go all lithium, but Iím not ready yet. So my thinking is just to buy a cheaper 3rd battery now and make due with what I have. The flooded batteries are only 18 months old and have quite a bit of life in them. Doubling my house capacity and adding a small bit of solar will take me a long way for now.

Thanks. FWIW, I plan on ordering the Sterling from Maine Sailís website.
It is pretty tough to mix GEL and AGM or Flooded on the same charger. GEL's need a low absorption and AGM and Flooded need higher. You can mix AGM and Flooded, provided the charge voltages are all within the right range, but a battery chemistry module or a Battery to Battery charger would be the better choice when mixing chemistries on the same charger.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #7 of 19 Unread 07-15-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Get a p air of 6volt golf carts. Same footprint as most group 24, with twice the power. Bigger plates, more cups.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #8 of 19 Unread 07-15-2019

If you are changing your batt system within the next 2ish years, just go to walmart and find one. They used to offer free replacement for 2 yrs on some batts, and may still do so.
You dont care about it beyond your change.
One and done....off your mind
post #9 of 19 Unread 07-15-2019

There are no batteries at Walmart suitable for true deep cycling usage
post #10 of 19 Unread 07-15-2019 Thread Starter

Good feedback. The Golf cart batteries would be a no brainer if I wanted to stay with flooded long term. The drawbacks there for me is that my battery bank (and the only place to really put it) is in the port side lazerette, and I already have a weight problem on that side of the boat, in addition to the short term cost.

Another concern I have on flooded is that the current fiberglassed in battery box arrangement seems to have the batteries in the wrong orientation for healing over. Seems I read somewhere about the orientation batteries facing port or starboard was not ideal.

Long term, I think lithium is where I want to be, from a weight perspective and from a usable capacity perspective. 3 grand is just a lot to drop right now when I don't have the rest of the charging system to support them. My thought is to upgrade to a good short power charger, add solar, evaluate needs on an ongoing basis, and eventually swap to all lithium. That will solve several problems for me. Weíre trying to be very minimal on our power needs, so the most bang for the least amount of space and weight is appealing.

i think just spending $150 on a cheap flooded battery and making due with my pseudo deep cycles will hold me for a while. I probably wont go more than another year on the current batteries.

Iíve got a lot of other high dollar projects/upgrades going on right now (new sails, deck hardware upgrades, etc..).

Maines article posted above was great. Very enlightening.
chef2sail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in