Starting Circuit Mystery (why won't my engine crank?) - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 50 Old 08-15-2019
Master Mariner

Re: Starting Circuit Mystery (why won't my engine crank?)

A solenoid allows a high amperage circuit to be energized by a low amperage circuit, nothing more. Take out the solenoid in an engine start circuit and you would need to run the battery cables to the starter button. Instead, you have a couple of #12 wires running from the switch to the solenoid, which has the battery cables attached for the starter. Push the start button and an electromagnet closes a circuit and the power can then flow through the battery cables.
SanderO likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (08-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 Old 08-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
When I manually jump the wire at the button, the result is the same as if I pushed the button (i.e. nothing happens)
so I'd say you can eliminate the start button as the culprit.

and I'd say that your previous test seems to confirm that you can eliminate the starter/solenoid.

Quote:
Testing the amp draw on the solenoid and the starter is tough to do without help, so I haven't managed to do that yet.
understand.

for the solenoid circuit you can measure the amp draw at the push button ... it would be fairly easy solo and the values would be the same as "at the solenoid".

Do I understand correctly that when you push start nothing at all happens? no click, no slow crank?

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
The Following User Says Thank You to bristol299bob For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (08-15-2019)
post #13 of 50 Old 08-15-2019
Master Mariner

Another thing in this line of discussion. Each of us should carry a remote start switch as pictured below to start the engine should the starting circuit fail. This can happen off the dock and if you have the remote start switch, it's less than a minute to hook it up and get the engine going!
Attached Thumbnails
remote.jpg  

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 08-15-2019 at 12:03 PM.

post #14 of 50 Old 08-15-2019

Forget ohms, if you hot wire the solenoid and it works then it is in the switch or switch wiring. Study up on using a voltage drop test. it allows you test every wire, connection or component with out removing any wires. it is simply reading the voltage drop at any point in the active circuit by placing the volt meter leads in parallel with the section that you want to test. tells you the voltage drop of the tested section.
https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/v...drop-test.html
Attached Thumbnails
voltage_drop_diagram_annotated_d22bd620cbf52c27d49c885946be9dbadb9ab4a6.jpg  
SanderO likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 08-15-2019 at 12:15 PM.
post #15 of 50 Old 08-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
Do I understand correctly that when you push start nothing at all happens? no click, no slow crank?
To be very specific: nothing happens as far as I can tell ...

It's possible that the solenoid tries to close or something, but any noise that it makes is too quiet for me to hear from the cockpit.
post #16 of 50 Old 08-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Forget ohms, if you hot wire the solenoid and it works then it is in the switch or switch wiring. Study up on using a voltage drop test. it allows you test every wire, connection or component with out removing any wires. it is simply reading the voltage drop at any point in the active circuit by placing the volt meter leads in parallel with the section that you want to test. tells you the voltage drop of the tested section.
https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/v...drop-test.html
I understand how to do that ... the problem is that it's really difficult to do single-handed.
post #17 of 50 Old 08-15-2019

Quote:
I understand how to do that ... the problem is that it's really difficult to do single-handed.
Very easy to do with long test leads and very hard to do the trouble shooting with out them. make a log test lead with a piece of wire

"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #18 of 50 Old 08-15-2019
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
Forget Ohm for a bit. What do you have at the solenoid when the start button is pushed? If it is less than about 12.6 start cleaning contacts.
Bingo!! I have seen many dirty contacts and bad switches that can pass a 0A voltage test easily but the minute they try to pass amperage, they fizzle out.

You can't test for this with the Ω setting of your DVM.... A volt-drop test on both the positive side and negative side of the circuit, under load, will give you the best information
contrarian likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #19 of 50 Old 08-15-2019

Relax ,trouble shooting this would be more difficult while dragging on a lee shore. If you don't have a fused button mounted in the engine area or the extendable wire unit Capta suggests . ???
post #20 of 50 Old 08-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Another thing in this line of discussion. Each of us should carry a remote start switch as pictured below to start the engine should the starting circuit fail. This can happen off the dock and if you have the remote start switch, it's less than a minute to hook it up and get the engine going!
you are carrying a remote switch to be able to start the engine in a hurry why not just wire in the remote switch so you don't have to spend the time to connect it in a hurry. I was thinking of buying a second boat to tow behind so I would have a spare part for every thing on the boat with me.
BillMoran likes this.

"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in