What's up with PERKO? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 Old 08-23-2019
One of None

Re: What's up with PERKO?

Been retired for almost 10 years I'm 71 now

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 Old 08-23-2019
Super Moderator

I know they said it had been "over loaded" but more likely, and we see this more than one would suspect, was a high resistance connection.

If a connection on the back of the switch was loose, dirty or had incorrect lug stacking it is possible to create enough heat to physically melt the switch. You can do this without ever being close to the max continuous or max intermittent rating of the switch & without actually "over-loading" it...
RegisteredUser likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #23 of 40 Old 08-23-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlicotraveler View Post
I have lots of Perko stuff on my boat. Recently I had an on/off battery switch go bad after 3 years. It was not a financial issue, the thing costs about $40, but it was inconvenient and perplexing as to why it would fail so soon. All it controls is the power to a V-Berth battery that runs a deck washdown pump, and the switch is rated for >300 amps.

Anyway, at the urging of an electrician friend I boxed it up and returned it to Perko for analysis. I kind of was expecting they would thank me and possibly replace the failed switch - after all it was a $40 part and I had gone to the trouble and expense of returning it to them. I received no reply, and then 2 months later they returned the failed part with a one line letter from "Gail Mally - Inside Sails."

I was shocked. I hadn't asked for a free replacement, in fact I had already bought a new one, but I expected more from their customer service than a "blame the customer" one line reply.

I will keep my Perko strainers and lights, and I'll keep the replacement on Perko off switch I bought to replace the one that failed, but when it is time to replace these items in the future I will definitely choose a competitor (Groco, Blue Sea, Marinco, etc.)

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this kind of experience, and report on my customer service dissatisfaction with Perko. Please, no electrical advice needed. I can think of 100 reasons a switch might fail prematurely. That is not the point. This is just poor customer service by a marine company.
I have reread this a few times and read others responses. Clearly by you own admission you had expectations they would “thank you and replace the switch”. Clearly they looked at what you sent them and analyzed it and stated it was overloaded to the point of failure.

You could look at it two ways. 1- it was a defective switch or 2 - their analysis is correct and it was overloaded. You chose to look at your explanation as correct and completely ignore what their experts said. Have you even looked into that there may be an issue with your system which caused the failure.

To say you were “shocked” at their response does make sense as it was you who put the expectations on them. You were shocked they didn’t agree with you. Shocked that they responded to you in a professional way. Shocked that they “ blamed the customer” even though there professionals though it was operator area. I guess they should have lied to you. I guess you expect that they should say the customer is right.....even though they aren’t. But that wasn’t enough.

You felt it necessary to go on a public forum really trying to show them up hoping to enlist others to support your cause and act like you and not use this company. All because they didn’t agree with you and give you a free switch.

This points out one of the negative issues I see concerning social media. You intended on using it essentially to “ out” Perko and get your way, by having others boycott them. You couldn’t get it one way....so now you want to extract revenge.

It’s refreshing to see others didn’t swallow Hook line and sinker the scenario and have asked questions.

I for one have quite a number of Perko products on my boat and quite frankly feel their quality control is better than most. I had an issue with a Perko bow light and the company was very forthcoming and replaced it no charge. Their customer service was excellent. It was in fact defective.

I will continue to use Perko as an alternative company to equipment I buy and advise others to take COMPLAINTS on the internet with a grain of salt.
CVAT likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #24 of 40 Old 08-23-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I have reread this a few times and read others responses. Clearly by you own admission you had expectations they would “thank you and replace the switch”. Clearly they looked at what you sent them and analyzed it and stated it was overloaded
Wow Chef,
You have a lot of time on your hands. Go sailing friend.

"Tell 'em I'm busy. I'm on a sails call."
post #25 of 40 Old 08-23-2019

Lol....I do plenty of sailing. We just passed the 2400 nm mark helped by our 3 week trip to Long Island which was a 800 nm round trip.

Normally you posts are right on. In this case we just have to disagree. That’s why there is many ice cream flavors🎃🎃
CVAT likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #26 of 40 Old 08-24-2019

Dock

Gently folks!

Can we all be a bit more gentle with each other in this thread?

Thank you muchly.

chef2sail likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #27 of 40 Old 08-24-2019

Seems to me instead of a pissing war it’s time for some independent forensics. Take the d-mn thing to a skilled boat electrician (mainesail you around?). Have them look at it. There’s only two possibilities. The device was faulty and arced internally or was of extremely high resistance due to a defect in construction. Or the thing arced due to high resistance from poor installation or corrosion. The pattern of the melting and perhaps some deconstruction of the device should tell the story.
It is what it is. This discussion isn’t telling you or me what it is. A third astute unbiased third party could tell us. If you choose not to pursue this course of action there’s nothing further to be gained by the heat without light of this thread. You are good guys. There’s some learning that could be done from getting a forensic opinion. Please let us know the result.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 08-24-2019 at 06:54 AM.
post #28 of 40 Old 08-24-2019

We are all friends here. Point taken. Sorry if I was a little obtuse
I lust after that 43 Shannon. One of my favorite boats

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
Pamlicotraveler (08-24-2019)
post #29 of 40 Old 08-24-2019

28 replies to get from exasperation to lust....

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #30 of 40 Old 08-24-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Take the d-mn thing to a skilled boat electrician (mainesail you around?). Have them look at it. There’s only two possibilities. T...
I would like to know the real cause, and am perplexed that my 30 AMP fuse in the circuit hasn't blown, but really, again, that isn't the issue. This post is feedback on customer service - Having someone explain the issue by examining it as suggested is what I hoped to get from Perko. My complaint is that they didn't do that. It took 2 months to look at it, no phone call, no real explanation or help with diagnosis of what Gail says is my problem, and then having them box up and ship the failed part back with their one line sentence. Apple wouldn't handle a complaint this way, and they are Apple.

Chef2Sail, re social media: One of the things social media allows is the ability to discuss customer service issues. Years ago you had no real avenue to do that - no way to share your experience, and now you do. I don't go out of my way to complain, and when I am making decisions I always read and evaluate the feedback of others, good and bad. Personally I make sure to balance my own reviews and feedback and when I give negative feedback, as with Gail Mally and Perko, I do it after thinking whether it is appropriate. If others think Perko's handling of the situation was perfectly appropriate, that is fine too. I didn't lie or make up things, I just relayed my experience.

If anyone wants my positive feedback on Raritan, Defender, National Sail Supply, Rolly Tasker, Schaeffer, Wichard, New England Ropes.... please let me know. Take good and bad feedback that I give with a grain of salt - it's just one person's opinion, but I believe feedback is a good thing.

Happy sailing today. Cheers everybody!

"Tell 'em I'm busy. I'm on a sails call."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in