What's up with PERKO? - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

What's up with PERKO?

I have lots of Perko stuff on my boat. Recently I had an on/off battery switch go bad after 3 years. It was not a financial issue, the thing costs about $40, but it was inconvenient and perplexing as to why it would fail so soon. All it controls is the power to a V-Berth battery that runs a deck washdown pump, and the switch is rated for >300 amps.

Anyway, at the urging of an electrician friend I boxed it up and returned it to Perko for analysis. I kind of was expecting they would thank me and possibly replace the failed switch - after all it was a $40 part and I had gone to the trouble and expense of returning it to them. I received no reply, and then 2 months later they returned the failed part with a one line letter from "Gail Mally - Inside Sails."

Quote:
Dear Mr. XXXX:
I am returning the switch as-is. The switch was overloaded and melted the terminal
Sincerely,
PERKO, Inc.
Gail Mally-Inside Sales Department
I was shocked. I hadn't asked for a free replacement, in fact I had already bought a new one, but I expected more from their customer service than a "blame the customer" one line reply.

I will keep my Perko strainers and lights, and I'll keep the replacement on Perko off switch I bought to replace the one that failed, but when it is time to replace these items in the future I will definitely choose a competitor (Groco, Blue Sea, Marinco, etc.)

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this kind of experience, and report on my customer service dissatisfaction with Perko. Please, no electrical advice needed. I can think of 100 reasons a switch might fail prematurely. That is not the point. This is just poor customer service by a marine company.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

"Tell 'em I'm busy. I'm on a sails call."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Re: What's up with PERKO?

I'm sorry, but I'd be a lot more concerned with why a 300 amp switch failed on a circuit that has only a deck wash pump on it, than a response you weren't pleased with, especially since it had some pretty important information for you.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I'm sorry, but I'd be a lot more concerned with why a 300 amp switch failed on a circuit that has only a deck wash pump on it, than a response you weren't pleased with, especially since it had some pretty important information for you.
faulty connections can get very hot.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #4 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago

No experience with Perko customer service, but FWIW I had two recent customer service experiences

Nikon: I bought a pair of Nikon OceanPro binoculars 13 years ago. I have no receipt and I never registered it. I couldn't even find the serial number (which was supposed to be on the unit itself). The metal focusing mechanism started to show signs of corrosion a few years ago, and this year it finally failed and broke. I sent them back to Nikon, They replaced them, no questions asked. Nikon has a customer for life.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...l-compass.html

B&G: I have a V50 base unit and H50 handheld installed 4 years ago. The handheld started to act up. the buttons became intermittent, and the rubber shield was starting to fail. I sent it in, no receipt, it's outside of the 2 year replacement warranty. The rep was extremely polite and professional on the phone. He was sorry that he could not do a free replacement, but he did replace it for ~$100. I think it's reasonable and I was satisfied with that. Although I'll confess to mild irritation that this failed after only 3 yrs. The VHF that it replaced was 25 yrs old and still doing everything it was designed to do .... I know, I know, they dont make them like they used to ...

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #5 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
No experience with Perko customer service, but FWIW I had two recent customer service experiences

Nikon: I bought a pair of Nikon OceanPro binoculars 13 years ago. I have no receipt and I never registered it. I couldn't even find the serial number (which was supposed to be on the unit itself). The metal focusing mechanism started to show signs of corrosion a few years ago, and this year it finally failed and broke. I sent them back to Nikon, They replaced them, no questions asked. Nikon has a customer for life.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...l-compass.html

B&G: I have a V50 base unit and H50 handheld installed 4 years ago. The handheld started to act up. the buttons became intermittent, and the rubber shield was starting to fail. I sent it in, no receipt, it's outside of the 2 year replacement warranty. The rep was extremely polite and professional on the phone. He was sorry that he could not do a free replacement, but he did replace it for ~$100. I think it's reasonable and I was satisfied with that. Although I'll confess to mild irritation that this failed after only 3 yrs. The VHF that it replaced was 25 yrs old and still doing everything it was designed to do .... I know, I know, they dont make them like they used to ...
That's the point of this post - it wasn't to receive amateur electrical advice which was what I stated in the original post. It sounds like Nikon and B&G have great customer service. I will remember that.

post #6 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Thanks for the electrical advice, and as originally stated, that isn't the point. The point is to illustrate how poorly this company dealt with a formerly loyal customer. It took 2 months, they didn't call or email, they didn't offer a solution etc.

post #7 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
faulty connections can get very hot.
Even after I have gotten something fixed by replacing a part, I can never relax until I've found the cause of the original failure.
300 plus amps might be a whole lotta heat! lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlicotraveler View Post
Thanks for the electrical advice, and as originally stated, that isn't the point. The point is to illustrate how poorly this company dealt with a formerly loyal customer. It took 2 months, they didn't call or email, they didn't offer a solution etc.
I didn't miss that, I just thought I'd throw in another angle.

post #9 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Level of customer service is 10x greater than 20 years ago.

Business is a battlefield
- Pat Benatar

...or something like that
post #10 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago

wanna see how how 12v can be? short out a house or start battery.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in