SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   Odd Battery setup (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/331486-odd-battery-setup.html)

davidpm 09-30-2019 12:52 AM

Odd Battery setup

3 Attachment(s)
Hunter 34 with an odd battery setup.

As you can see someone messed up the battery wiring, didn't even use the right colors.

Any guesses as to what the PO was thinking.

As you can see from my crude drawing a negative wire from the battery is going through the bulkhead and one battery's negative terminal is not even attached to anything.

Any guess as to what the idea was.

I'm guessing that the two red positives go the switch. the negative goes back to a negative bus bar or alternator. On the other side of the switch where I can't see is a red wire to the positive switch panel I suspect.

I'm assuming that it was originally a two battery setup and someone added the third battery and never finished the install.

JimsCAL 09-30-2019 08:34 AM

Re: Odd Battery setup

I'm guessing it's a 2 bank setup with 2 batteries connected in parallel for a house bank. I see all the negatives connected. Looks like the two on the right are in parallel.

CVAT 09-30-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 2051628630)
I'm guessing it's a 2 bank setup with 2 batteries connected in parallel for a house bank. I see all the negatives connected. Looks like the two on the right are in parallel.

If the drawing is correct than none of these batteries are connected in parallel or series for that matter, the two that share the negative bus provide two independent 12vdc buses, assuming these are 12vdc batteries. The third with only the positive connected to other other battery is floating, not a good situation as it is neither totally connected nor totally isolated, IMHO.

davidpm 09-30-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CVAT (Post 2051628646)
If the drawing is correct than none of these batteries are connected in parallel or series for that matter, the two that share the negative bus provide two independent 12vdc buses, assuming these are 12vdc batteries. The third with only the positive connected to other other battery is floating, not a good situation as it is neither totally connected nor totally isolated, IMHO.

I'm thinking that for now, I should just disconnect the positive on the third until we figure out how to do this right.

SanderO 09-30-2019 11:04 AM

Why not re wire it properly?

BarryL 09-30-2019 11:11 AM

Hey,

My guess: A two bank setup. Bank 1 is a single 12VDC battery. Bank 2 is 2 6VDC batteries in series to total 12V.

Barry

CVAT 09-30-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanderO (Post 2051628662)
Why not re wire it properly?

Disconnecting the third and it would be connected correctly if the goal was 2 separate 12 vdc buses, with a common ground bus.

eowin 09-30-2019 11:53 AM

all three look like 12v batteries according to the labels. on your schematic, where do the red cables go? if they are connected, then that bank is parallel.

CVAT 09-30-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eowin (Post 2051628678)
all three look like 12v batteries according to the labels. on your schematic, where do the red cables go? if they are connected, then that bank is parallel.

Could be parallel yes, if they do go to the same point but that is not what the diagram shows. If they are connected later on this would not be in the best practices for connecting batteries in parallel as it is best to keep the cables connecting the two batteries as short as possible, the added inherent resistance of the cables and connections, as well as the parasitic inductance and capacitance of them also can lead to the batteries to become unbalanced and affect the life of the batteries is connected as such.

JimsCAL 09-30-2019 12:37 PM

Just to be clear, I don't think your wiring sketch is correct. If I look at the second pic that shows all three batteries, I see connections on all three negatives.