Morningstar controller showing 15.3v? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Morningstar controller showing 15.3v?

I just caught my charge controller showing 5a input from solar and batteries (4x grp 27 lead acid deep cycles) at 15.3v. That seems high to me...

I have a shunt style monitor and it confirmed 15.3v. Is my charge controller at the end of its life? It has no shut off switch and I had to disconnect the pos lead from the panel to stop it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Morningstar controller showing 15.3v?

Does it have a temperature sensor? If so, is it cold where you are?

15.3V would be normal for a temperature sensed controller on flooded lead batteries at 40-45*F.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #3 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Interesting. It IS cold today (35deg). The controller has a temp hookup but nothing connected. 2 of the 4 batteries are near my engine and are showing 66deg F. My other 2 would be colder.

post #4 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

My shunt has a temp probe is where I got the 66deg temp. I've hooked up the panel again and I'm watching where it climbs to.
post #5 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
Interesting. It IS cold today (35deg). The controller has a temp hookup but nothing connected. 2 of the 4 batteries are near my engine and are showing 66deg F. My other 2 would be colder.
Also, my morningstar controller has a 'floating' stage. Every 8 weeks (or something) it increases the voltage to 15.x V (don't know the exact voltage) for 8 hours or so. Perhaps you caught it in this stage?
post #6 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Do you have AGM batteries? If so, 15.3 volts is going to make them outgas, and drastically reduce their life. There's no way to stuff the electrolyte genie back in the bottle.

With flooded batteries, you'll just need a large quantity of distilled water to place the boiled-away electrolyte.
post #7 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

This does not hold true for Lifeline AGM batteries
They can / should be equalized for long life so they don’t get sulfated. Just like wet cells.

Our last bank (6-6volt) lasted 10 years, so the premium you pay for the batteries Over the long run more than pays for their cost. The caveat is that you take care of battery’s. This includes the charging methods ( alternator, shore power three stage charger, solar, and wind if applicable) being lined up with the bank capacity size. Once functional, maintenence is easier than wet cells.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #8 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
This does not hold true for Lifeline AGM batteries
They can / should be equalized for long life so they don’t get sulfated. Just like wet cells.

Our last bank (6-6volt) lasted 10 years, so the premium you pay for the batteries Over the long run more than pays for their cost. The caveat is that you take care of battery’s. This includes the charging methods ( alternator, shore power three stage charger, solar, and wind if applicable) being lined up with the bank capacity size. Once functional, maintenence is easier than wet cells.
True. I have two 100 AH Lifelines on board myself. But you shouldn't equalize them once every day. The manual says to equalize: "only when the battery is showing symptoms of capacity loss" caused by being stored in a partial state of charge. Section 5.5: (http://lifelinebatteries.com/wp-cont...cal-Manual.pdf)

They only need to be equalized after they have been abused. My Lifeline bats are now 8.5 years old and I have never needed to equalized them. They still test above 90% capacity.

Which means, so far, they cost me less than $50 per year. "Only rich people can afford cheap batteries."

Last edited by patrickbryant; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:03 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I equalize during the 8 months I use Haleakula about every other month.
With my master volt 3 stage charger i throw 15.5 in it for 6 hours.
Good preventative medicine.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #10 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. I've struggled with my batteries this whole trip. Currently at a marina plugged into shore power and on the charger. My shunt has been at 94% charged for hours now (14.27v reading). Not sure if they are doing ok or not. Had alot of bad luck with batteries over the years.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in