NMEA 2000 - Two devices - Question - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

NMEA 2000 - Two devices - Question

I have a plotter and a new speed/depth/temp transducer as the only two NMEA 2000 devices on board.

Do I need a "backbone", T fittings and terminators to connect the two together, or can I simply run the cable from the sounder direct into the NMEA2000 connection on my plotter?

Not planning to add any other instruments any time soon.

Appreciate the help.

Thx,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Learning the HARD way...

Re: NMEA 2000 - Two devices - Question

Short answer: yes.

If you provide additional details (brand model) there may be ways around it, but N2K REQUIRES a backbone, taps, and termination.
CVAT likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago

A lot of options. Here is a set that fits your purposes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does everything you need, and is expandable if you decide to add more devices. I happen to like Ancor but there are others too.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC

post #4 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. It's a Garmin Airmar DST800 and a Garmin GPSMap 721. That amazon kit isn't expensive, but if I can keep it simple, that would be preferred. All my other connectivity is NMEA 0183, which is working fine. (AIS data to plotter from VHF, waypoint headings to autopilot from plotter.)
post #5 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Assuming your DST800 cable reaches to your Garmin, you need 3 Tee's, two resistors, and a NMEA 2000 cable that you can cut one end off and connect the other end to 12V power. The Tees would be connected together in series with a resistor on each end of the string, the power cable would go on one Tee, and the garmin and DST on the other two Tees.

It kind of sucks having to build such a small network because the companies really rip you off on prices for these small things. On average, every bit will cost $10 - which will total ~$60 just to get the minimum you need.

Check around with others - many might have a handful of Tee's and an extra cable laying around from an install. These are usually included in every piece of electronics, but not always needed. The plug-in terminating resistors are more rare to find extras of, but they are only regular 120 ohm resistors installed between the data pair of wires on both ends. Any 10 cent 120 ohm resistor will do for this.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #6 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeaston View Post
T... but if I can keep it simple, that would be preferred. All my other connectivity is NMEA 0183, which is working fine.
Think about it this way: essentially every future electronics upgrade you will do will require a NMEA 2000 backbone and/or hub. So you might as well do it right from the beginning, and save yourself the pain of having to rip out something slapped together to make the two instruments talk to each other.
post #7 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I planned an N2K upgrade for B&G Zeus and Trintons. I am attaching a PDF to show the planning. Drops (D) are T'd off the backbone (B). I estimated lengths and included service loops as needed. There are 2 terminators and numerous Ts and ond NMEA to N2K converter for the wind instrument.
Attached Thumbnails
N2K -B&G WIRING r3_page1.jpg  

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #8 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Learning the HARD way...

To the OP: you can buy a Multi Function Display (MFD) that is a chartplotter AND a depth sounder (one unit). All you would need to do is install the transducer and supply power. Garmin and Raymarine are two brands with this capability that I have installed for clients. I am sure there are others.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #9 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
To the OP: you can buy a Multi Function Display (MFD) that is a chartplotter AND a depth sounder (one unit). All you would need to do is install the transducer and supply power. Garmin and Raymarine are two brands with this capability that I have installed for clients. I am sure there are others.
Not really. Even if he did have the xs version of his plotter, it doesn't include the depth transducer itself, which would be purchased separately. He also wants speed, so that is another transducer, and would require a NMEA2000 network anyway.

Furuno and Simrad/B&G plotters are the same way with built-in sounders, but no transducer. I don't know about Raymarine. Not including a transducer makes sense because every boat and use requirement is different (in-hull, thru-hull, transducer lengths, tilt down angles, CHIRP vs regular, plastic or metal, etc).

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #10 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks all, I think I have my answer. I'll get a basic kit to build the network out. I agree that any hypothetical future devices are likely to be N2K, so may as well set it up right. Was just kinda hoping for a shortcut to get depth/speed/temp working, and make the "future devices" a problem for "future me"!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in