Corrosion probs w/aa, aaa, 18650, etc batt chargers - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By colemj

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-15-2020 Thread Starter

Corrosion probs w/aa, aaa, 18650, etc batt chargers

Ive gone thru 3 chargers in the past 2 years.
Now on my 4th
After about 6 months, i need to prep/sand the contacts.
This becomes worse over time.
Have others experienced this

Are there any chargers made for this environment
Create a different enviro/container for them...

?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-15-2020

Re: Corrosion probs w/aa, aaa, 18650, etc batt chargers

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking about, but if they are devices that batteries fit into that have a spring on one end and a tab on the other - then yes, these suck big time in the marine environment.

It isn't just chargers. The devices that use them also have issues. It seems that the springs and tabs are cheap and corrode easily.

I stave it off as much as I can by putting dielectric grease on them. The worse thing is when a battery goes off inside and the electrolyte leaks out. This happens randomly for us. For sure it is guaranteed to happen if batteries are left in a device unused for a longish time, but it happens randomly to fresher batteries in devices being used.

The negative terminals always seem to get hit the worse.

Doesn't seem to matter if the device is a $1 dimestore flashlight or $1000 stabilized binoculars - the cheap battery box and connectors are the exact same on all of them.

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #3 of 9 Old 01-15-2020 Thread Starter

Yes, my prob seems to be exaclty the same
Scrub pad on the both tha batt surface and charger neg ends

post #4 of 9 Old 01-15-2020 Thread Starter

My current thoughts are to either build a special 'box' for the chargers...or just have a good supply onboard
Ive not found any thst are made for what we do
post #5 of 9 Old 01-15-2020

I don't know how to prevent the problem but a Dremmel tool with a small grinding wheel works pretty good for cleaning them up.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-16-2020

Use electrical contact grease on the contact points it will prevent corrosion and no need for sanding. i use it on the hand held vhf radio charger base and have never had a corrosion problem and it is 15 years old. works good on trailer plugs also and almost any electrical connection

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #7 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Im now leaning towards a supply of cheaper 2 bay units, well attended rather than 4 bays used casually.
My experience..7ish years.. is getting about 1 year from a regulary used18650
Ive made a few mistakes in the past of tossing batteries when the real problem was the charger
Everything has always been inside the cabin

Last edited by RegisteredUser; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:23 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dremel with Grinding wheel is over kill, and will damage the contact if done incorrectly.

The key to corrosion removal is to use the least abrasive method possible.

The method I have used for decades is remove all crud with a basic solution, baking soda and water works, I use an acid brush and long q-tip applicators to gently remove the crud, rinse with Distilled Dionized water if you have it, if not skip, flush with a solvent to remove water and any remaining residue in the battery compartment.

Let dry, lp air can assist in this, Really make sure it is dry While most solvents will falsh off quickly and Distilled Deionized water is non conductive, the corrosive salts are not and if you did not remove all of it your in for quite a surprise when the equipment is energized, i.e. as we like to say "let out the magic smoke" or could be shocking to you personally.

If the contacts are still a bit dark or show signs of discoloration using a ruby red eraser by hand will clean them up, again remove all the erasure debris. Yep them old things on the end of wooden pencils and larger ones found at office supply locations. Cleans but leaves very little to no residue on the contacts, Clean up the red stuff, as needed, I tend to do this with the contacts facing down so gravity cleans up for me when possible.

Finally use a corrosion inhibitor suitable for electrical contacts, i.e. dielectric grease or CPC, this helps prevent corrosion from starting, but does not prevent it if ignored. In other words you need to check the contacts if they are subject to salt air, duh they are, and reapply dielectric grease or CPC on a regular basis, how regular depends on how often it is exposed and for battery charger how often it is used and the grease or CPC is wiped away.

Remember corrosion never sleeps as I was taught so diligence is your main tool.

Is this method a pain you betcha, but IMHO it is the least abrasive to your contact, NAVAIR seemed to think so too as this is how it was taught "back in the day." Best way to avoid this treat the contacts before you first use them with dielectric grease or other electrical approved CPC, (Corrosion Preventive Compound) there are several out there and relatively cheap compared to the alternative i.e. replacing the hole thing due to severe corrosion. An ounce of prevention is definitely better than a pound of cure with corrosion.

Sorry for the length. Also ensure you have removed the item you want to clean from all power sources, I hope this goes without sayin but there are too many people out there trying to win a Darwin award.

Use your head for something other than a hat rest.

Last edited by CVAT; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:19 AM. Reason: spelling and style
post #9 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Interesting that one would clean up an alkaline mess with more alkaline (baking soda). Wonder if vinegar would be the way to go. Neutralize the fuzzy mess and will clean too.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in