locating 110V fuse? / outlets not working - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-22-2020 Thread Starter

locating 110V fuse? / outlets not working

I made the mistake of plugging an electric heater that draws 950 watts (pic attached) and now my outlets aren't functioning under 110V power. I'm very green with electrical and hoping someone can provide some guidance.

I've reset the GFCI on both outlets that have the button. None of the outlets on the boat work, whether I am connected to shore power or running the engine. I've attached a pic of the inside of the breaker panel. Not sure if there's something I need to replace?

That said, I see two signs that seem to indicate it's not a systemic issue with the 110V system:

1) The battery charger has been working fine (as far as I can tell, have had no issues)
2) When I flip on the water heater, the amps on the gauge (pic attached) do jump up to ~10 amps.

If I'm missing any details that would be helpful to know, just let me know.

Thanks!
j0llygreen
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4134.jpg   IMG_4135.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-22-2020

Re: locating 110V fuse? / outlets not working

From your description should be either the circuit breaker labeled "outlets" or the first GFCI outlet in your wiring, try resetting both.
BTW running the engine only charges batteries at 12 volts, no connection to 110 system unless an inverter is involved.

"Just call me TB"

Last edited by capttb; 03-22-2020 at 12:46 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-22-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0llygreen View Post

I made the mistake of plugging an electric heater that draws 950 watts (pic attached) and now my outlets aren't functioning under 110V power. I'm very green with electrical and hoping someone can provide some guidance.

I've reset the GFCI on both outlets that have the button. None of the outlets on the boat work, whether I am connected to shore power or running the engine. I've attached a pic of the inside of the breaker panel. Not sure if there's something I need to replace?

That said, I see two signs that seem to indicate it's not a systemic issue with the 110V system:

1) The battery charger has been working fine (as far as I can tell, have had no issues)
2) When I flip on the water heater, the amps on the gauge (pic attached) do jump up to ~10 amps.

If I'm missing any details that would be helpful to know, just let me know.

Thanks!
j0llygreen
Look for another GFCI. When they are wired in series, if one trips, none of them work.. My house is like that, I had to look all over to find the GFCI that we didn't know about tripped in the garage...

post #4 of 13 Old 03-23-2020 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
From your description should be either the circuit breaker labeled "outlets" or the first GFCI outlet in your wiring, try resetting both.
BTW running the engine only charges batteries at 12 volts, no connection to 110 system unless an inverter is involved.
Thanks for your response and sorry for the dumb question, but when you say 'reset the breaker', I'm assuming that's not turning off/on on the panel itself. Is there a way to reset it from the back?
post #5 of 13 Old 03-23-2020
Master Mariner

There should be a breaker on the A/C side of your electrical panel labelled "outlets". It would be near the stove and whatever else runs on household current, not something like bilge pump, running (nav) lights or such. They are two entirely different systems and have separate panels within your main breaker panel.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (03-23-2020)
post #6 of 13 Old 03-23-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0llygreen View Post
Thanks for your response and sorry for the dumb question, but when you say 'reset the breaker', I'm assuming that's not turning off/on on the panel itself. Is there a way to reset it from the back?
Yeah, just turn them off and back on, those aren't really switches they are breakers the white ones are 110 vac and the red ones are 12 vdc. Since you indicate that the charger and other 110 volt circuits are working the failure should be restricted to the "outlets" circuit.
CVAT likes this.

"Just call me TB"
post #7 of 13 Old 03-23-2020 Thread Starter

OK, I figured those were the breaker switches. I've toggled between on/off multiple times with no luck. Per another suggestion I'll see if there's another strangely hidden GFCI switch but it's unlikely.

If not, does anyone else have another suggestion/troubleshooting tip?
post #8 of 13 Old 03-23-2020

try the GFCI again some brands take a bit of force to reset. I had on that we though we were reseting but it was not and had to push the button in harder with the tip of a small screw driver

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #9 of 13 Old 03-23-2020
Administrator

There are a range of possibilities here, you may need to track the system to find them. Here are my thoughts:
1) Starting from the power connection make sure the cable is properly connected at the dock and the boat. It is possible that you may be missing one leg of a three-phase service.
2) Depending on when your boat was built, or the electrical system was updated last, there is supposed to be a master cut off switch within a wire length of 6 feet from the point that power enters the boat. This is usually a breaker or fuse. In my case this breaker is physically located in a lazarette a couple feet from the power connection but the actual cut off switch that turns it on and off is on the the other side of the bulkhead at the foot of the quarter berth.
3) Often boats will have a polarity sensor and in recent years, these include a cut off when the polarity is reveresed. While a 110 volt hot water heater might not be expected to have a polarity, if wired with reverse polarity it could trip the polarity sensor.
4) One or more of the breakers are bad.
5) Since none of the breakers are labeled 'house', 'receptacles', or 'outlet', it is possible that there is a sub-panel somewhere for the receptacles. It is also possible that the breakers labeled 'spare' are for the receptacles, in which case those are currently turned off.
6)Wired properly, it is unlikely that the ground fault receptacles are daisy-chained in the same way that they are in homes so one blown ground fault is not likely to impact another receptable.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #10 of 13 Old 03-23-2020

Given that all your other A/C circuits are working there is a good chance that the circuit breaker is not resetting.

Assuming you are comfortable using a volt meter your next step should be to check the breaker. Open up your panel and check voltage between the load and the line terminal of your "outlets" breaker. If you are not comfortable testing it with the power on, you can also check it with the power off.

For a live circuit you should read near zero volts with the switch on, and you should read 110v with the switch off when measuring across the breaker.

With the power off, switch your meter to Ohms or continuity. You should read "O/L" or "open" with the switch off, and very low resistance, eg 0.2ohms with the switch on.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
CVAT likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Tags
110v , outlet , pacific seacraft 34

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in