SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Which setting to use to charge flooded batteries?

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  MastUndSchotbruch 
#1 ·
Another battery question:

I have flooded lead-acid batteries, so-called "Marine" dual-use (starter + deep-cyle) type (current generation is from Costco). For 99% of the time they are being charged entirely by solar. However, I do have a ProNautic P series battery charger installed and I occasionally use it, when I do have a land power connection.

Now this is definitely not a life-or-death question but I since I have the fancy charger, I want to use it right. It has 2 Profiles for flooded batteries (plus profiles for all kinds of other battery chemistries). They are as follows:

Profile 1: 14.8 VDC 12.8-13.6 VDC
Profile 2: 14.7 VDC 12.8-13.4 VDC

where the first number is the 'Conditioning VDC' and the second is the 'Auto Maintain VDC Range'

The differences are not huge but which is the better one for my batteries? And what is the other profile for?

tx

See less See more
#2 ·
The right profile to use is determined by the battery manufacturer, but the Costco batteries probably don't have that information available. I'll take a stab at your question by guessing that the two profiles are for traction FLA and "regular" FLA. Traction batteries have thicker plates and more electrolyte needing stirring, so they generally use higher charge voltages.

However, the two profiles presented aren't really much different, and either could be used. I'd pick profile 2 for your batteries.

Mark

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply. But I believe that, although the labels say just "Flooded" for both of these profiles, they actually mean open flooded cells, for both. Reason is that there are two additional (separate) profiles for "Sealed" cells. Plus AGM, GEL, even Li and Ca have separate profiles. As I said, this is the fancy model (too bad I barely use it...)

#6 · (Edited)
I am sure that is true. But if they are sealed maintenance free fla i would use the lower settings

That's my answer and they are your batteries. You know what to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.