SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

LiFePO4 Cell Sourcing

3K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  Don L 
#1 ·
Even though I don't think I am going to get to a cost/benefit point I continue to do my homework on consideration of changing from my FLA to LFP. Cost of course is a major consideration and I see posts on other sites of 3.2V cells a lot lower than I have found on a web search.

So this thread is for providing sources for the cells with suppliers, websites, links, etc.

I figure there are already budget people who went down this path and have answers.

#7 ·
I was about to thread drift, Well Ok I will: this "package" is using Perferred Batteries. I don't know what or who that is and maybe the batteries aren't as good as those of other good brand names I don't know either. If they really only only have 90% of stated capacity does that matter to me? It doesn't really as that is still 400 x 0.8 x0.9 = 288AH, which is still more than my current 220AH at 50% FLA.

But this being supplied by The Electric Car Parts Comapany and they are one of the suppliesr who get spoken about as a good seller.

Now back on topic: if you can live with a 6 weeks delivery time that 400AH complete set in an alum box, with BMS, is $1700.

#5 · (Edited)
Go to that CALB list from the other thread, I already reco' my top picks there, make some calls or emails, post their quotes delivered.

Bring everything back to $ per kWh, or do Ah @12V for apples to apples.

big enough cells ideally no more than two paralleled strings, or put all the paralleling in the "bottom level" grouping for Ah, then series for voltage.

BMS is its own whole thread, just focus on the cells.

Personally I'd only go with cells from sub-par / unknown makers if they were well below 60% of the top-tier pricing, delivered.

Besides CALB, GBS Winston & Sinopoly

#6 ·
Go to that CALB list from the other thread, I already reco' my top picks there, make some calls or emails, post their quotes delivered.

Bring everything back to $ per kWh, or do Ah @12V for apples to apples.

big enough cells ideally sono more than two paralleled strings, or put all the paralleling in the "bottom level" grouping for Ah, then series for voltage.

BMS is its own whole thread, just focus on the cells.

Personally I'd only go with cells from sub-par / unknown makers if they were well below 60% of the top-tier pricing, delivered.

Besides CALB, GBS Winston & Sinopoly
I have built my own portable LifePo battery box system. I struggle to understand a single sentence in your post.

#12 ·
everything about these LFP battery systems appear to be a crapshoot, chosing a long term piece of equipment is only good if ones assumptions work out

#14 ·
Can't speak for his current thinking, but he has stated he will not be in that consumer level business wrt LFP systems, consulting / advising / selling banks to semi-DIY cost-conscious non-expert prospects.

I'm sure if you know exactly what component you want he can get it for you and he always gives appropriate support for what he sells.

A turn-key Victron, EPS, or OPE-Li3 (Lithionics/Ocean Planet) system is really the way to go if you want a "just pay no worries" LFP setup.

Not to mention when insurance survey time comes around, the ABYC working group has not yet released their standards documentation.

#18 ·
Both pouches and the hard-shell case enclosed units are often referred to as "prismatics".

I believe the casing is just enclosing those pouch type cells.

A123 is one of the industry's top quality makers of LFP cells, in fact I believe foundational to the industry when the US was still involved. Many say Winston Chung moved the center of gravity to Asia, there is a mess of lawsuits and buyouts with the other leading Chinese firms.

Lithium Werks took over A123's IP and Chinese factories, along with Valence and Super B.

My point is you can still buy A123 20+Ah pouches, just check LiFePO4 you don't want NMC chemistry

and just do a DIY enclosure

and you will have a top-notch bank at relatively low cost.

Just a bit more DIY work than most sailors want to do.

#19 ·
I took "complete build pack with box and BMS (not a "drop in")" to mean that you must assemble the battery. It arrives in pieces and the owner assembles the battery. Isn't that why it is $200.00 cheaper?

#21 · (Edited)
It comes completely assembled. The $200 price drop is because I can wait 6-7 weeks for delivery.

A little research shows this pouch construction to have been around 15 years. But the tabs can not be soldered together and have to be welded, so that pretty much rules out DIY.

Reactions: capta
#23 ·
Thousands of DIYers and small "professional" shops build packs from that style of pouch.

Small spotwelders specifically designed for such projects are not expensive.

Many just use solid bussbars the right size and through-bolting.

But the world of ebikes, DIY electric car conversions and RC hobbyists has largely moved away from LFP due to the desire for ever increasing higher energy density, and especially high C-rates power output.

The LI chemistries they use, often LiPo type cells physically, are much too fire-risky to consider using as House banks on boats.

#25 ·
But you have very limited if any choice really.

In the end I got the owner of The Electric Car Part Company, who has been in business since 1976, to guarantee honoring the warranty of the pack I ordered today.

Reactions: capta
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.