Pete

What are you paying for the panels?

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 Old 01-13-2012 Thread Starter
Beneteau 411

I'd be interested in recommendations for MPPT charge controllers. At the moment, I'm comparing Blue Sky SB3024iL with Morningstar TS-MPPT-45. The Morningstar has a standard RS232 interface to control and monitor operation via a PC. The Morningstar claims a 99% efficiency vs 97% claimed for the Blue Sky. I'm sure there are many more significant differences, but overall the Morningstar seems to have a greater range of Voltages and current with more flexibility. For example, the Morningstar works with nominal PV voltages of 12, 24, and 48 with maximum current output of 45 Amps. The Blue Sky works with nominal PV voltages of 12 and 24 with max currents of 32 and 12 Amps respectively.
Pete
post #13 of 60 Old 01-13-2012

You should read the data sheets carefully. The nominal voltages of 12 and 24 refer to nominal battery voltage, not solar voltages. The Blue Sky 3024iL will output 40 amps @ on a nominal 12 volt system. Its maximum input voltage is 57 volts max with a recommended max 45.6 volts from the panels.

see next post

Brian

Last edited by mitiempo; 01-13-2012 at 10:58 AM.

post #14 of 60 Old 01-13-2012

3024iL data sheet
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to mitiempo For This Useful Post:
scgator2001 (06-25-2014)
post #15 of 60 Old 01-13-2012 Thread Starter
Beneteau 411

We just order two 24 Volt / ~200 Watt panels from SolarBlvd to supply our four golf cart batteries. They are "B grade" panels which should have met a spec of 210 Watts, but didn't. The cost was $200 each ie, $1.00/watt. We also purchased the Morningstar TS-MPPT-45 controller for $370. We splurged on the controller, but really like it's flexibility which will come in handy if we ever have to change out the panels for something else down the road; they handle nominal 12-48 volt panels.
Pete
post #16 of 60 Old 01-13-2012

Are they the Kyocera panels?

Brian
post #17 of 60 Old 01-13-2012 Thread Starter
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Are they the Kyocera panels?
Nope, SolarBlvd private labels them with their own name. They won't disclose the name of the original manufacturer.
Pete
Mystic1 likes this.
post #18 of 60 Old 01-14-2012 Thread Starter
Beneteau 411

Having bought my panels and controller, I'm now turning my attention to the design of a mount to be placed on top of my existing dinghy davits. My thoughts so far are:
- construct an aluminum frame from 1-1/2 X 2 inch angle such that two panels drop into it oriented end-to-end and placed athwartship on top of dinghy davits. Overall size will be 116" X 39"
- build a support structure from 1" OD stainless tubing that creates a horizontal tube 67" long in the athwart ship direction and approximately 20" above the dinghy davits. The shape will be that of an inverted 'U' with right angle corners to maximize width. This height will minimize shading from bimini and provide clearance to raise and lower outboard from its mount.
- attach the frame to the tube using 2 or 3 of those plastic rail clamps available from West Marine (can't find them anywhere else). This allows panels to be tilted in the fore and aft direction and isolates aluminum frame from stainless tube.
- weld a perforated aluminum semi-circle to underside of frame just outside the 1" stainless support structure. A tab on stainless tube will allow the panel to be locked at the desired angle. Use a stainless aircraft pin to lock.

My concerns at this point is:
1. the amount of overhand of the panels which amounts to 24-1/2 inches on either end. The frame will have to be stiff enough to support this. If the boat is pitching in heavy seas this could cause considerable flexing.
2. I'm hoping that the simple tilt lock mechanism will be stiff enough.

I've attached a crude hand-drawn sketch which hopefully will be worth a 1000 words! Comments and suggestions appreciated.
Pete
Attached Thumbnails
SolarMnt1.jpg  

Last edited by prroots; 01-14-2012 at 08:04 AM.
post #19 of 60 Old 01-15-2012 Thread Starter
Beneteau 411

The mount will include an aluminum frame made from angle. Can anyone recommend the type of aluminum for best strength and corrosion resistance? I'm wondering if it should be anodized. I want to be sure to include the type in the spec for the fabricator.
Pete
post #20 of 60 Old 01-15-2012
1982 Skye 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
You won't go wrong in buying Kyocera solar panels. had them on my boat for 12 years...still putting out lots of clean power.
agreed, I love mine and would buy them again. Also, my SolarBoost 2000e (blue sky) charge controller is amazing. My Kyocera 130W panels are rated to 7.44 amps but with the SolarBoost 200e are putting many more amps into the batteries. they claim their design improves performance by 20% and I was skeptical too until I saw the amps the solar panel was putting out and compared it to the amps the batteries were receiving. MAGIC!
scgator2001 likes this.

"The notion of life implies a certain absoluteness of self-enjoyment." -Alfred North Whitehead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in