Does anyone have false alarms on Standard Horizon GX2000 (and possibly other GX2xxx)? - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 04-13-2015 Thread Starter

Angry Does anyone have false alarms on Standard Horizon GX2000 (and possibly other GX2xxx)?

There is a long thread in this forum about my search for the perfect AIS (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electr...d-i-buy-2.html). Thanks to the helpful contributions of several members, I found exactly that, the perfect solution (for me): Vesper Marine black box AIS combined with Standard Horizon GX2000 for display. See the thread for details.

Here is the problem: while in theory this does everything I need, in practice there is a severe problem with false alarms with the GX2000. It generates several false alarms PER HOUR. They all seem to be TCPA alarms. This makes the alarm function useless. Which is a shame since this is exactly why I bought the whole darn thing.

I have three instances on video (which I sent to Yaesu). One example, this is the 'Info' I get for one specific alarm:

Vessel name (or MMSI number)
Distance (DST) 7.7nm
CPA 7.7nm
TCPA 00:00
SOG 12.2 knt

Clearly the TCPA is wrong and this leads to the alarm. TCPA alarm was set to 1minute and CPA to 1nm.

I have reset the radio (by instruction from SH). Did not make a difference. Then SH asked me to send the radio to them (a bit of a pain since it was soldered into the boat, with something like a dozen connections that I had to hack apart). Now they have it for more than 2 weeks and they say that they have observed so far 2 false alarms. They say they will replace the radio but, honestly, I am not optimistic that will solve the problem. This does not smell like a hardware problem to me, and if it is a software issue, replacing the hardware will not do anything.

When I discussed this in the other thread (see above), there was another poster (Take Five) who said that his GX2150 may have the same problem. He decided to just give up on the alarm function. I mentioned to Yaesu/SH that this may be wider problem and they said they had never heard of it.

So, here is my question: Does anyone else have false TCPA alarms with the GX2000, or another type in this series?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 04-13-2015

Re: Does anyone have false alarms on Standard Horizon GX2000 (and possibly other GX2x

Hello,

On my last boat I had installed a GX2100 back in 2011 or so. I interfaced it with my Lowrance plotter and it worked fine. No false alarms, accurate display of AIS information. I also connected it to a laptop running seaclear and that worked fine too.

I bet you just got a defective radio.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 51 Old 04-15-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Does anyone have false alarms on Standard Horizon GX2000 (and possibly other GX2x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hello,

On my last boat I had installed a GX2100 back in 2011 or so. I interfaced it with my Lowrance plotter and it worked fine. No false alarms, accurate display of AIS information. I also connected it to a laptop running seaclear and that worked fine too.

I bet you just got a defective radio.

Barry
That would definitely be the preferred outcome, that they send me a new radio and everything works. But I cannot think of a hardware problem that would result in a wrong computation. I can think of MANY ways to get that in software

Did you use the alarm function on the radio or on the plotter? The AIS information shown on the radio display seems to be correct (when I compare with OpenCPN), as are values like distance and CPA. What is wrong is the computed TCPA.

Also, of course, if we are comparing a GX2100 from 2011 to a GX2000 in 2015, they differ probably by several generations/threads of software. Many opportunities to screw it up

post #4 of 51 Old 04-15-2015

Hey,

I connected my plotter (Lowrance LMS 337 or something like that) to the SH Radio so the plotter could send GPS information. My plotter was not able to display AIS information (the next gen Lowrance unit could do that) so I relied on the radio (the RAM MIC specifically) for alarms. It's been awhile since I used that setup but I don't recall any phantom alarms. I was able to track AIS targets such as the ferries that run between Port Jeff and Bridgeport, as well as other vessels. I did get alarms, but only when appropriate.

On my new boat I have all NMEA 2000 networking, so I bought a Simrad VHF / AIS unit from them. No problems with that unit (connected to a Garmin 740S).

Good luck,
Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
That would definitely be the preferred outcome, that they send me a new radio and everything works. But I cannot think of a hardware problem that would result in a wrong computation. I can think of MANY ways to get that in software

Did you use the alarm function on the radio or on the plotter? The AIS information shown on the radio display seems to be correct (when I compare with OpenCPN), as are values like distance and CPA. What is wrong is the computed TCPA.

Also, of course, if we are comparing a GX2100 from 2011 to a GX2000 in 2015, they differ probably by several generations/threads of software. Many opportunities to screw it up

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 51 Old 04-15-2015
Closet Powerboater

Following with interest as your setup is exactly what I want to buy.... if it works.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
post #6 of 51 Old 04-16-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Following with interest as your setup is exactly what I want to buy.... if it works.

MedSailor
Well, given the (absence of) response, there does not seem to be an epidemic of false alarms. Perhaps Barry is right and I got an outlier. Hopefully the replacement will work flawlessly.

I certainly will come back here and update everybody.
MedSailor likes this.
post #7 of 51 Old 06-29-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Well, given the (absence of) response, there does not seem to be an epidemic of false alarms. Perhaps Barry is right and I got an outlier. Hopefully the replacement will work flawlessly.

I certainly will come back here and update everybody.
It''s been a while and I promised an update. So, here we go.

Much has happened since the last post. When Standard Horizon hooked up my radio in their office (apparently not too far away from L.A. harbor), theh found a few instances of false alarms but nowhere close to as many as I did.

After some hemming and hawing they sent me a replacement radio some time in April. It turned out it did not have the wires for AIS! It was apparently an older version that they had lying around. Took a bit of back and forth until that was resolved.

So, another radio was sent to me, this time with all wires in place. Unfortunately, the problem exists unchanged, tons of false alarms (typically a ship something like 10 miles away, with a speed of 5 knots, CPA set to one mile, and the radio then computes that TCPA is 3 seconds or so).

At this point, SH seems to think it is some incompatibility between my AIS box (Vespermarine XB8000) and the radio. I sent them a bunch of files with captured NEMA messages and am waiting for what they find.

It is really too bad, this configuration is absolutely perfect for what I need, except that it does not work. I also have to say that I am disappointed with customer support at Standard Horizon. They are friendly but everything takes forever! I documented the problem first in early December 2014, with photos and videos clearly showing the problem and it is STILL not resolved. Some of the elapsed time was not their fault since because of the long winter here I could not do some of the tests until they asked me to perform until end of February but come on, we are nearly in August!

For example: All their shipping is by ground (cheap). When I returned the radio they had sent me by their mistake (missing wire), I sent it by priority mail (on my dime, as I had done for the first radio) but they shipped ground . They would not send the replacement until the other one had arrived, even though I offered to pay them full retail for the radio and have them reimburse me when the shipment arrived.

I could go on with similar stories, it is just like pulling teeth. I thought they would have some interest if a serious (and safety-relevant) problem is discovered in one of their flagship radios but that does not seem to be the case.

I will let everybody know how this develops.
post #8 of 51 Old 07-01-2015
Closet Powerboater

Uck. Sorry to hear that you found the impossible bug. Your setup does sound ideal in theory but not if thete are ghosts in tbe machine. Good luck getting it resolved and I owe you a beer for saving me from this same issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
post #9 of 51 Old 07-01-2015

Did SH suggest an AIS unit that would work properly? Thought the Vesper stuff was pretty good.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #10 of 51 Old 07-01-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Uck. Sorry to hear that you found the impossible bug. Your setup does sound ideal in theory but not if thete are ghosts in tbe machine. Good luck getting it resolved and I owe you a beer for saving me from this same issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
I still hope this can be resolved with a firmware upgrade at some time.

Tags
ais , false alarm , standard horizon gx2000 , tcpa

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in