Odd Seatalk error with Autohelm - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-26-2015 Thread Starter

Odd Seatalk error with Autohelm

Hi guys,

I spent all weekend on the boat I bought, trying to figure out what's going on with the Raymarine equipment.

One problem I'm having is with the depth gauge. Depth shows up on the tridata, but won't transmit to the depth gauge. Even when plugged directly into the sounder, it still won't register on the gauge. Not sure if I want to even replace it at the moment, since the tridata works just fine.

The other weird issue is with the autohelm.

Works great on it's own. Works great when it's plugged into any other component in the system. As soon as I plug it into the tridata, I get a seatalk error.

No other device throws an error when connected to the network. It's only when both the autohelm and the tridata are connected that it causes issues. Both devices work fine on their own.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-26-2015

Re: Odd Seatalk error with Autohelm

Bad depth display?

Is the tridata the same vintage Seatalk as the AP?

Atlantis
Hylas 44
Annapolis
post #3 of 9 Old 05-26-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Bad depth display?

Is the tridata the same vintage Seatalk as the AP?
Yep. They are all the same era (60). I was told they were all installed at the same time, which makes sense.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-26-2015

Sounds like the Sea Talk circuitry in the tri-data is bad. You can have instruments such as depth, wind, speed that work, but have bad sea talk circuits. When you plug that instrument into something like the autopilot, it knocks out (temporarily) the ST circuit in the autopilot so it will no longer function.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-28-2015 Thread Starter

OK. Is this something I can get parts for, or do I have to pay someone else to fix it?

I'm capable of fixing electronics, given the parts.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-29-2015

Dock

I cannot help... but I did have (still do) a Raymarine xxx? where the chartplotter at the wheel stopped working, only radar, when firing it up one spring launch... No one could figure out why - hence, no solution... Bought new...
post #7 of 9 Old 06-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
OK. Is this something I can get parts for, or do I have to pay someone else to fix it?

I'm capable of fixing electronics, given the parts.
You could debug the seatalk circuitry. In old Autohelm units, it was build from discreet components, newer units (like ST60) uses a ASIC for interfacing the CPU to the Seatalk line.

Some time ago there was a quite bad scan of the ST50 shematics posted on the Raymarine support site, here: ST 50 instrument repair - Raymarine Technical Forum
You can work from this. It the CPU transmit, recive lines work, there is a chance you can fix.

Its quite simple, the CPU transmit nad receive lines are combined into a one wire type circuit, where any device is able to pull the line down to low. Otherwise it is 4800 baud communication in a binary protocol. You get seatalk error, when the transmitting instrument cannot 'hear' it own transmit, that is, the line is permanently shorted to high or low.

See here: Thomas Knauf ****SeaTalk Technical Reference
post #8 of 9 Old 08-12-2015

Hi Captain Canuck

I see you've been active in other threads regarding Raytheon St 4000 plus autopilot. My unit is in "low battery" about 30 seconds after the auto and an alarm goes. I've checked all cable and all look fine without poor contact. I see you helped others to repair this. Can you please help me. Please contact me at [email protected]
post #9 of 9 Old 12-06-2015

One installation recommendation from Raymarine is to put the AP control head on its own Seatalk bus (the 400 Course Computer has two Seatalk ports).

I rewired mine that way after an ST60 Wind instrument jammed the Stk bus (then replaced the failed instrument and had the original repaired as a spare). Bit of a pain but good insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Norman
s/y "Redline"
1998 Jeanneau SO45.2

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in