What to do with an I-Pad? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 06-19-2015
HANUMAN

Re: What to do with an I-Pad?

Makes for a relaxing way to plan a trip. I use INAVX. I also have Navionics, looks prettier but I don't like it as much. I also use Active Captain to look for good anchorages, town docks, and mooring fields you might not find other places.

I used to use the ipad to watch movies but I confiscated a small flat screen when I bought my Mom a new TV. I now use my phone with unlimited 3G to play the movies on the TV through the Apple - HDMI adapter.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 06-20-2015

Generally the ipads that have a cellular capability (ie can install a sim card) also have GPS. The one's that don't have cellular would proably not have a built in GPS.

I use my ipad for route planning plus use it whilst I am sailing. Plus itts also handy for keeping the kids amused

A waterproof cover would probably be a good idea.

Ilenart
post #13 of 23 Old 06-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilenart View Post
Generally the ipads that have a cellular capability (ie can install a sim card) also have GPS. The one's that don't have cellular would proably not have a built in GPS.
You are right. The internal GPS receiver was sold as a package along with the cellular data capability. This is not to be confused with the GPS receiver requiring cellular reception or even an activated plan, it does not. The two antennas just come in the same bundle.

However, if you have a non-GPS ipad, they make relatively inexpensive accessory receivers. One that plugs into the power port and another than connects via bluetooth. They work just as well as the internal model.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 23 Old 06-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfish11 View Post
Your iPad maybe old enough that you can't run the latest version of the OS. If so many of the programs won't run. We had one of about the same vintage and that was the case. Also Apple wouldn't give us anything for a trade in. They offered to dispose of it for free.
It's one of the reasons why I stay away from Apple products. My girlfriend is on her second I Pad and may have to buy another not because they stop working but, because they can't be upgraded. While I'm not a follower of nerd Jesus (Steve Jobs) IMO Bill Gates should also spend some time in purgatory equal to the time people have wasted in those unexpected Microsoft updates!

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 23 Old 07-07-2015

I'd say download one of the electronic charting apps. I use Navionics and really like the different map options with the paid version -- I think for the iPad, it will run you about $50 but you can get just the NOAA charts for free. Even if your iPad doesn't have the GPS feature, it's still great to use the electronic charts like paper charts for spotting landmarks or marinas, etc on the chart.
post #16 of 23 Old 07-07-2015
Crealock 37

Dock

I'll be using my iPad with an Iridium Go to download Grib files and do email while "off grid".

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

post #17 of 23 Old 07-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
It's one of the reasons why I stay away from Apple products. My girlfriend is on her second I Pad and may have to buy another not because they stop working but, because they can't be upgraded. While I'm not a follower of nerd Jesus (Steve Jobs) IMO Bill Gates should also spend some time in purgatory equal to the time people have wasted in those unexpected Microsoft updates!

Gotcha....so Apple should allow you to keep a 6 year old iPad current...lol...Thats why you don't buy Apple products? ok....

S/V Cuajota - 1975 WD Schock Santana 30

post #18 of 23 Old 07-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Gotcha....so Apple should allow you to keep a 6 year old iPad current...lol...Thats why you don't buy Apple products? ok....
That's part of it. My eight plus year old HP laptop is still doing what it is supposed to do and I have even updated a number of programs (apps) and not met any roadblocks like my girlfriend has met with her IPads over the years. I also purchased an Apple Shuffle to carry my I tunes collection on board. First one died. Ok it can happen so bought a second that died too! Since then purchased a Sansa Clips and have had them for several years with no problems. Except that Apple's ITunes won't allow the several hundred dollars of my downloaded music to load onto the device! That's why I now use Amazon to down load my music. Then there are the Apple people camped out against the walls at airports with their Apple products pluged into the wall outlets. How's that battery life working out for them? It's not just one thing that makes me stay away from Apple products but, a combination of experiences and observations.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #19 of 23 Old 07-08-2015

Lol battery life. It's the best in the industry on Apple devices. Don't believe the advertising lol. There's a reason the company has more cash than the govt. that original iPad can do EVERYTHING it did the day it was purchased. Do you want to upgrade the operating system? Sorry the processor can't run it. This wasn't a secret. Apple clearly announced that iOS 7 or newer wouldn't run on the original iPad. iPad 2nd gen or newer can be updated to latest software. Oh I still have an iPod mini circa 2005 on my boat running music and it still connects and loads like the day I bought it. To each their own. I find Apple products above average when it comes to quality, reliability and usability. They do have the best consumer satisfaction rating of ANY electronics company. Oh and when something doesn't work they have hundreds of places you can walk into for FREE tech support. That's something no other tech company has. I'm waiting for my wife's 3rd gen iPad to die so we can get a new one...just keeps ticking.

S/V Cuajota - 1975 WD Schock Santana 30

post #20 of 23 Old 07-08-2015
Tripper 17

There's a lot of great free literature available on the iBooks site. Just glancing at my free stuff I see Tarzan of the Apes, A Christmas Carol, The Tempest, War & Peace, The Three Musketeers, The Last of the Mohicans, The Count of Monte Christo, Legend of Sleepy Hollow, MacBeth, Hamlet, A Midsummer Night's Dream, White Fang, Huckleberry Finn, Heart of Darkness, Around the World in 80 Days, Gulliver's Travels, Call of the Wild, MOBY DICK, TREASURE ISLAND, United States Constitution; various biography/technical histories: Leonardo da Vinci, Steven Spielberg, Spanish & French primers; philosophy: Plato, Locke, DuBois, Thomas Jefferson... We used to longline off an old wooden halibut schooner out of La Push & would be stuck in port about 3 weeks out of 4 from October to April. We'd all read the same paperbacks, and got a lot of entertainment & education telling each other about our books while baiting or snapping on hooks.

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." - Yogi Berra

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in