SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   What to do with an I-Pad? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/207081-what-do-i-pad.html)

budvar 06-18-2015 05:03 AM

What to do with an I-Pad?

I have a US Yacht 25 on the Columbia River. Wife has a 4 yr old IPAD in good condition, wants to donate to the boat.

I'm wondering what others would do. I'm kind of landlocked. Getting to know the river pretty well. A few shallow spots. Chinook is rewired completely. Has VHF,
a depth sounder, and mechanical windvane. No other electronics. No knotmeter.

Would this be a reasonable way to get gps or river chart setup? I'm kind of a minimalist anyway. Halfway through Andrew Evan's book (single handed sailing). Like his
philosophy regarding simplicity. I wouldn't need this. Don't want t spend hundreds or more on something I wouldn't use. However, if I could get a basic GPS, or boat speed,
or water depth without too much effort, that would be very nice. Or would it be better to have her get credit for a return to Apple, or donate to the women's shelter?

Thanks!
Chris
Kennewick, Wa.

aloof 06-18-2015 05:10 AM

Re: What to do with an I-Pad?

If it has GPS, not all do, it is very handy with iNavX. Free charts. Very easy to use.

MarkofSeaLife 06-18-2015 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I dont think iNavX gives you the free charts. But Navionics fkr iPad is free and gives the free USA charts.

wfish11 06-18-2015 09:13 AM

Your iPad maybe old enough that you can't run the latest version of the OS. If so many of the programs won't run. We had one of about the same vintage and that was the case. Also Apple wouldn't give us anything for a trade in. They offered to dispose of it for free.

MarkSF 06-18-2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budvar (Post 2857961)
I have a US Yacht 25 on the Columbia River. Wife has a 4 yr old IPAD in good condition, wants to donate to the boat.

I'm wondering what others would do. I'm kind of landlocked. Getting to know the river pretty well. A few shallow spots. Chinook is rewired completely. Has VHF,

Would this be a reasonable way to get gps or river chart setup? I'm kind of a minimalist anyway. Halfway through Andrew Evan's book (single handed sailing). Like his
philosophy regarding simplicity. I wouldn't need this. Don't want t spend hundreds or more on something I wouldn't use. However, if I could get a basic GPS, or boat speed,
or water depth without too much effort, that would be very nice. Or would it be better to have her get credit for a return to Apple, or donate to the women's shelter?

Thanks!
Chris
Kennewick, Wa.

Real Racing 3 is pretty good.

nccouple 06-18-2015 05:11 PM

Navtronics is an awesome app. It's a $10 download but worth every penny. Maps, charts, gps, speed and etc. have it on my iPhone. It's my backup chart plotter.

cerwin 06-18-2015 05:57 PM

My I phone App Store search returns Navionics - Is this the same as Navitronics?

nccouple 06-18-2015 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerwin (Post 2859297)
My I phone App Store search returns Navionics - Is this the same as Navitronics?

That's it. It's my best boating app.

Classic30 06-19-2015 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budvar (Post 2857961)

What I'd do?? Load some games on it - perhaps there's some already - to keep the kids (or friend's kids) stuck down below out of the way from getting bored whilst the adults enjoy a nice day out on the water. :grin

Minnewaska 06-19-2015 04:41 PM

Does it have a 3G wireless cell data plan? Real time weather radar from the internet is pretty useful.