Does anyone really know what time it is? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 07-29-2015 Thread Starter
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: Does anyone really know what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgreen59 View Post
Sort of a built in "end of life" feature.
Interesting concept. Of course I despise Raymarine equipment. They have gone bankrupt more times then I have been married + the number of my children (a 3 bit integer!) I don't understand why builders like Catalina still put their crap on boats.

I did some playing around and discovered that:

1) This particular "mushroom" came in both a Seatalk (tm) and NMEA version.

2) When I disconnected the Seatalk (tm) lead from the autopilot computer the control head at the helm started reading out the correct date and other data. So Raymarine at least bridged the Seatalk (tm) and NMEA data in the autopilot computer for GPS data. They have a habit of dropping NMEA sentences between NMEA "In" and "Out", one of the reasons I hate them.

3) The autopilot control display immediately started displaying the same information that appeared on the Garmin Multifunction displays (5212 & 5012.) They had always been slightly out of sync. I had just written it off to a network interfacing issue. Now I know that the autopilot computer was getting the wrong data from the GPS mushroom. Obviously it was using that data as the "preferred" data. Since the Seatalk (tm) bus was powered by the autopilot computer I never saw the condition without the GPS mushroom until I actually disconnected ti electrically.

4) I have posted this on the Raymarine web site. We will see what they say.

Fair winds and following seas

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 07-29-2015

Wow, how interesting is that? Pretty cool experiment, and gave insightful results.

If I'm right about the roll-over issue, then you will probably just have to toss the mushroom GPS. The issue isn't uncommon for really old GPS. Always seemed short sighted from a SW design point of view. On the other hand, memory and processor speed were much less capable back then. SW designers were doing all they could to save on storage and throughput. Not so tough now.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-29-2015

I think perhaps you have the right idea, but are missing the problem. Most likely, the GPS mushroom or the nema converter does not provide date. Virtually all 183 sentences that need it only have time. Position is dependent on time differences, not absolute time. So they didn't require date.

So more than likely, your MFD just simply used its date it had stored. Perhaps it's build date.

Any thoughts?
Bryce

Last edited by BryceGTX; 07-30-2015 at 12:41 AM.

post #14 of 14 Old 08-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceGTX View Post
I think perhaps you have the right idea, but are missing the problem. Most likely, the GPS mushroom or the nema converter does not provide date. Virtually all 183 sentences that need it only have time. Position is dependent on time differences, not absolute time. So they didn't require date.

So more than likely, your MFD just simply used its date it had stored. Perhaps it's build date.

Any thoughts?
Bryce
Are you saying that date/time isn't needed, computed or output from a GPS receiver?

Last edited by gbgreen59; 08-03-2015 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added "date" to sentence

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in