Does anyone really know what time it is? - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-24-2015 Thread Starter
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Exclamation Does anyone really know what time it is?

And interesting and potentially dangerous situation with my Raymarine GPS. See post:

Sailing - Reboot (USA 60493): Do you really know what time it is?

Fair winds and following seas

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-24-2015

Re: Does anyone really know what time it is?

I saw your post and immediately thought of the song by Chicago. However in all seriousness is can be a dangerous situation in a hurry. I have no idea how to fix it however the rest of us should pay more attention to the details on the chartplotte and laptop AND at the same time look outside and trust the old MK1 eyeball. You caught a gross error on the date, probably most of us would have missed that initially. Good job.

Part time PADI instructor, part time sailor. Full time having a blast.

S/V TEMPTATION
Islander 44

post #3 of 14 Old 07-24-2015

Just how old is that Raymarine GPS unit?

I think this is a good indication, for those who think of their chartplotter as their primary navigation device (as opposed to the MkI eyeball), that if you are going to rely on electronics then you have to keep them up to date.
jerryrlitton likes this.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-24-2015
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Interesting and useful observation. When it came time to replace our old Autohelm below deck autopilot, which we do use all that much since we have a Monitor vane we considered our options. A replacement below deck unit for a 20 ton boat was more than a little costly. We went with a CPT unit that interfaces only with the finger that turns it on/off and adjusts the course. I think that marine electronics manufacturers want to network everything because a) they can, b) it makes their products look 'sexy', and c) they can justify charging more.

BTW, our Raymarine chart plotter will sometimes show the date out by one day. It eventually corrects itself.
mbianka likes this.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-24-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
And interesting and potentially dangerous situation with my Raymarine GPS. See post:

Sailing - Reboot (USA 60493): Do you really know what time it is?

Fair winds and following seas
How old is the unit that has the GPS in it? Did the correct date come up after a power cycle? I'm sure Raymarine just reads a data interface from the GPS unit that they procure from another source. So, either Raymarine's SW didn't interpret the year correctly for display or the GPS unit output the wrong value. It would be useful to know if this issue is repeatable or if it is a one time anomaly. Could you let us know more characteristics of this issue?
post #6 of 14 Old 07-24-2015

I was thinking that since my Garmin is able to be updated online, when was your unit last updated? Is it possible?

Part time PADI instructor, part time sailor. Full time having a blast.

S/V TEMPTATION
Islander 44

post #7 of 14 Old 07-24-2015 Thread Starter
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

The GPS Mushroom and the control head are both circa 1995. I am guessing but Reboot had ST50 instruments when I purchased her. Yes, it happens every time now that I know where to look. An no, I have not gotten an answer back from the Raymarine folks yet. Will keep you all posted.

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
The Following User Says Thank You to svzephyr44 For This Useful Post:
gbgreen59 (07-27-2015)
post #8 of 14 Old 07-26-2015

My Raytheon C90W had a brain freeze a few years back. It was only a few years old. The result was loss of electronic charting, including the feed to my autopilot. So it was back to the handheld GPS chartplotter and hand steering for the next 35 miles.

When I contacted Raytheon via phone, they suggested a "factory reset", which is easy enough if you had the instructions. That worked, but I didn't read "the fine print" and didn't realize that the time defaulted to Greenwich Mean Time--a 5 hour difference from our area. As a result, my tide and current data were significantly off. My wife knew better: she had checked the printed tide chart and told me my impression of the tide was way off!

There were 2 lessons learned from that Raytheon brain freeze. (1) You need to maintain and crosscheck paper data with your electronic data when in doubt. (2) You need to consider failure modes when you network your electronics.

Regarding point #2, my primary chartplotter (the one that froze) was the pass through for my GPS data (which comes from a "mushroom" unit via the autopilot computer.) When it froze, I lost position and instrument data to my secondary chartplotter, so it was generally useless until the master unit was reset.

Having learned my lesson, when I changed my VHF, I opted for a unit that had a built-in GPS antenna. My intention was to always have a GPS input for the DSC function, but I also have lat/lon displayed, even on the RAM unit in the cockpit. The only downside is that the VHF base unit down below can take 5 minutes or more to get a fix.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
The GPS Mushroom and the control head are both circa 1995. I am guessing but Reboot had ST50 instruments when I purchased her. Yes, it happens every time now that I know where to look. An no, I have not gotten an answer back from the Raymarine folks yet. Will keep you all posted.
Have you posted your issue on the Raymarine forum. I received an answer to a question there. It took about a week though. Probably a phone call would be better though.

Here is my guess on your issue. This is just a guess for fun. I'm guessing that the date is provided in the form of an integer. The integer was not large enough to count further than whatever the start time was (maybe in 1983) and it has now started rolling over. Next year you will see 1996 if I'm correct. GPS derives the year by counting weeks since 1983. I'll bet the week is rolling over. This may yet be a GPS receiver issue and not a Raymarine SW issue (but still a Raymarine issue). Just my guess for fun. Can't wait to hear what Raymarine says.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-27-2015

Here is an interesting fact. 2015 - 1983 = 32. So, it has been 32 years since time began for GPS. 32 is a 5 bit integer. If the GPS receiver used a 5 bit integer to provide the year to Raymarine, then it just started rolling over this year. Hence, no reset will fix this issue. Sort of a built in "end of life" feature.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in