All in one? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-30-2015 Thread Starter
Less Senior Senior Member

All in one?

Is anyone aware of a GPS/RADAR/AIS display that does it all in one (ie- a single overlay full screen)? Preferably with iOS wireless so I can use my iPad as a second screen? I've been looking at stuff on line to try to figure it out, but it seems that most of them have a a RADAR/GPS/depth/fishfinder, but the AIS interfaces either are a separate screen or add on that doesn't really look like it's integrated. Already have wind/depth/speed via old systems that don't really need to be replaced. It seems like this SHOULD be something that is out there.
And couldn't find this via multiple google searches over the last few months, so sorry if someone else finds it fast for me.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-30-2015

Re: All in one?

I'd assume most modern MFDs can do this (maybe not the iPad part). My Raymarine plotters can do this (e7 and a-something). There are a bunch of options but you can show AIS/chart/Radar all overlaid as a single fullscreen display. I often prefer to use split screen though: Radar/AIS on one half (oriented with my heading) and AIS/chart (oriented north up) on the other. My AIS module doesn't have it's own display.

The iPad thing is nice but it's not a true second screen, it shows the same thing as the plotter but you can carry it around and control the plotter with it. The only thing that doesn't work is autopilot control through the iPad app.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChristinaM For This Useful Post:
seaner97 (07-30-2015)
post #3 of 14 Old 07-30-2015 Thread Starter

I was looking at the Raymarine and the Garmins, but it just wasn't clear from their literature. And my time off this summer I'm trying to spend as little time in Hamilton Marine as possible and as much on the water as I can.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-01-2015
Remember you're a womble

Pretty sure the B&G Zeus can manage it as well, probably the most sail-focussed MFD/plotters out there.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-01-2015

On a small powerboat we recently setup the simplest one screen solution we could.

If you are putting an MFD on a boat, you probably are also putting a VHF radio. We combined a Raymarine MFD with an ICOM VHF which had built in AIS and connected them NEMA 2000. Simple, 2 boxes you need anyway. No extra box for AIS.

I believe you could do this with virtually any new MFD, and VHF with AIS.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
seaner97 (08-02-2015)
post #6 of 14 Old 08-01-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
On a small powerboat we recently setup the simplest one screen solution we could.

If you are putting an MFD on a boat, you probably are also putting a VHF radio. We combined a Raymarine MFD with an ICOM VHF which had built in AIS and connected them NEMA 2000. Simple, 2 boxes you need anyway. No extra box for AIS.

I believe you could do this with virtually any new MFD, and VHF with AIS.
Thanks, that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking to do, but was hoping to find one that had the wifi/iOS packaged as well, same box. I guess it's not critical, just would be nice. And really seems like something not just I would be looking for, but I guess I'm asking for too much. I actually thought I had seen a garmin package for sale once that did this, but can't find it or anything like it now.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
Thanks, that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking to do, but was hoping to find one that had the wifi/iOS packaged as well, same box. I guess it's not critical, just would be nice. And really seems like something not just I would be looking for, but I guess I'm asking for too much. I actually thought I had seen a garmin package for sale once that did this, but can't find it or anything like it now.
Actually this new Raymarine MFD has WiFi and will allow you to see the display from an iPhone or iPAD. I haven't had much occasion to use it, but I know of one guy who saved putting a nav station MFD in, only put the MFD in the cockpit, and uses a iPAD at the Nav station and likes this very much. Also, saves some $$$.

Also, we didn't put an external GPS antenna on the MFD, works just fine in the wheelhouse of a small Downeast style boat. So there ain't a lot of wires!

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
seaner97 (08-02-2015)
post #8 of 14 Old 08-01-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
Actually this new Raymarine MFD has WiFi and will allow you to see the display from an iPhone or iPAD. I haven't had much occasion to use it, but I know of one guy who saved putting a nav station MFD in, only put the MFD in the cockpit, and uses a iPAD at the Nav station and likes this very much. Also, saves some $$$.

Also, we didn't put an external GPS antenna on the MFD, works just fine in the wheelhouse of a small Downeast style boat. So there ain't a lot of wires!

Good luck
Thanks. Any idea what model?
post #9 of 14 Old 08-02-2015

Hey,

ALL the new models from Navico (which includes Lowrance, Simrad, and B&G), Garmin, and Raymarine include Charts, AIS, SONAR, and RADAR displays on one screen. They all do wireless to phone / tablet.

Not all will send RADAR to the phone / tablet, you will have to do additional checking for that.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #10 of 14 Old 08-02-2015 Thread Starter

Looks like Garmin, Lowrance and furuno all have capability. Not clear about B&g, still.
Anyone actually use the iPad and have comments?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in