Corrosion protection, electrical components - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maine Sail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-08-2015 Thread Starter
Puget Sound Pounder

Corrosion protection, electrical components

Hello,

I am about to mount my solar charge controller and windgen charge controller/rectifier in my back storage locker. There seems to be many ways for moisture to gain access to the boards in the controllers, not hermetically sealed. I was thinking about spraying down the boards with CRC corrosion protection spray. Upon second thought, I am not sure that is prudent. I plan to use dielectric grease on the connectors but not sure about how to protect the boards themselves.

Thoughts?

-craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-08-2015

Re: Corrosion protection, electrical components

The boards should already be conformal coated. However if you want to take extra steps you can use CorrosionX. Here is a video of how well it works..

https://youtu.be/s4z8QMgTEA4
post #3 of 10 Old 09-08-2015

Unless the boards are protected from salt and water, they will not last long. Is there any way to move these components inside? It is much easier to protect connectors and wires. Personally, I like military grade Cosmoline for such applications.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #4 of 10 Old 09-09-2015

CRC works great, use it all the time on my RC boats. Saved many a speed controller. Couple of them are pushing 200 amps at 14 volts.
Another option is MGChemicals spray on conformal coating.
All of these will probably void any warrenty though.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-09-2015
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
Hello,

I am about to mount my solar charge controller and windgen charge controller/rectifier in my back storage locker. There seems to be many ways for moisture to gain access to the boards in the controllers, not hermetically sealed. I was thinking about spraying down the boards with CRC corrosion protection spray. Upon second thought, I am not sure that is prudent. I plan to use dielectric grease on the connectors but not sure about how to protect the boards themselves.

Thoughts?

-craig

Both controllers should be mounted as close to the batteries as possible and in a relatively dry area... If these controllers are both quality products, then the board should already be conformally coated. If they are cheap Chinese eBay products, good luck..
CVAT likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #6 of 10 Old 09-09-2015 Thread Starter
Puget Sound Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Both controllers should be mounted as close to the batteries as possible and in a relatively dry area... If these controllers are both quality products, then the board should already be conformally coated. If they are cheap Chinese eBay products, good luck..
The controllers are quality products
Morningstar Tristar 45 (with wire knockout ports that need to be sealed)
Kiss rectifier (box with on/off switch)
BlueSky Solar controller (mounted in a sealed enclosure)

The locker is dry, an occasional damp fender will also be in there. The Kiss rectifier is open at both ends of the enclosure, odd. The other controllers can be sealed quite well.

I built the whole thing on a piece of Marine Plywood. Now I am trying to figure out how to reduce the flow of moisture into the controllers.

Charger Board photo IMG_0631_zpshmolqqps.jpg
post #7 of 10 Old 09-10-2015
Señor Member

One problem with mounting near the batteries (unless somehow sealed) - from the Blue Sky manual

This unit employs components that tend to produce arcs or sparks. NEVER install in battery compartment or in the presence of explosive gases.

To the OP, I had originally thought that you could box up your assembly, leaving heat sinks external, but it looks like both boxes need ventilation. Neither is marine rated, correct?
post #8 of 10 Old 09-10-2015

For what it's worth, I've had a Morningstar controller mounted in my laz for ten years of offshore cruising without any failure.. I had a smaller controller mounted next to it for 5 years before and it is still going as well...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-10-2015 Thread Starter
Puget Sound Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottos View Post
(snip)

To the OP, I had originally thought that you could box up your assembly, leaving heat sinks external, but it looks like both boxes need ventilation. Neither is marine rated, correct?
Thanks for the input!
I assume that you mean some type of ABYC rating? I will dig through the manuals tonight.

Ventilation, good point. The Morningstar has huge heat sink fins but the BlueSky heat sink is on the board itself. I need to research that more, it very well may need ventilation.

From the mounting board to the batteries (13 feet away) I am running 0/2 cable. I verified that that voltage drop is less than 2%. I am already running #6 cable to the mc4 connectors for the two panels. #6 is the largest cable that mc4 will accept. So I can't have a longer cable run for the panels to the controller, if so it would create a +3% voltage drop. After calculating all the cable runs my options for where to mount the charge controllers was somewhat limited.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-17-2015
Señor Member

Sorry for the delay...

That is kind of in-line with what I was thinking. Electronics are usually made for low humidity environs, unless they are specifically designed for something else, IE marine electronics, ABYC, IPxx ratings, whatever. Circuit boards could absorb more humidity, circuit traces could corrode more easily, etc.

Some of the respondents above suggested spray-on conformal coat.... probably not a bad idea. just keep it off heat sinks and other areas that wouldn't be compatible.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in