New instruments - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-09-2015 Thread Starter

New instruments

Hello, Im Julio from Argentina.

Im selling my boat (a 1987 30 foot sailboat) in which I had an old bidata, ST 4000 autopilot, garmin GPS integrated with an ipad through a multiplexer. I had the boat for almost 20 years and Im changing it for a newer one. Actually it is a 1997 design that is still being produced.

Now Im searching for new instruments. I70 from raymarine looks great and I would buy a Display unit and Ev100 autopilot and a speed, depth and wind package.
https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/1...AYCT70226.html

The problem is that Ive read that nmea2000 is not good for masts larger than 20 foot (Ill have aprox. 50 feet). Is it correct? It seem incorrect since the instrument comes with 30 and 50 meters cables.
Boat Projects: NMEA 2000; Some Limitations and Cautions

Would you buy the package or the display and traducers separately? (a different traducer)

I plan to integrate everything with an Ipad and I cant find a multiplexer with avility to use nmea2000 data. So I found that there are some nmea2000 to nmea0183 converters.
Boat Projects: Beginners guide to Nmea 2000, Nmea 0183, and bridging

Is there any multiplexer that can use nmea2000?

Julio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-09-2015

Re: New instruments

Quote:
"The problem is that Ive read that nmea2000 is not good for masts larger than 20 foot (Ill have aprox. 50 feet). Is it correct? It seem incorrect since the instrument comes with 30 and 50 meters cables.
Boat Projects: NMEA 2000; Some Limitations and Cautions"
You are correct that the maximum drop length is normally 20ft. The wind instruments get around this by having their own terminator, so the cable to the instrument is an extension of the backplane, not a drop.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Last edited by Faster; 10-07-2015 at 02:27 PM. Reason: fixed quote
post #3 of 6 Old 09-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
"The problem is that Ive read that nmea2000 is not good for masts larger than 20 foot (Ill have aprox. 50 feet). Is it correct? It seem incorrect since the instrument comes with 30 and 50 meters cables.
Boat Projects: NMEA 2000; Some Limitations and Cautions"

You are correct that the maximum drop length is normally 20ft. The wind instruments get around this by having their own terminator, so the cable to the instrument is an extension of the backplane, not a drop.
Exactly.. The wind instruments are part of the backbone. My mast is 53 feet and is no problem.

Here is a package that is a SMOKIN deal right now..
B&G T41 Triton Speed / Wind / Depth / GPS Package

As to multiplexers for NMEA2000. You have a couple of options. Actisense NGT-1 is a NMEA2000 to USB. Another option is to buy a Vesper XB-8000 and send the NMEA2000 data over WIFI (no usb cable required). With the Vesper you also get an AIS transponder.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-09-2015
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Darn where was THAT last year? I'd have jumped on it.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #5 of 6 Old 10-07-2015

Ok So the deal(s) are on at Defender for the B&G T41 and the Raymarine I70 instrument systems and I have to decide which one to buy.

I have old autohelm st 50 instruments that will be replaced, a 2yrold Garmin 545 chart plotter and an old JRC radar that I don't really use.

I like the idea of the two displays in the T41 package but know nothing about B&G. Raymarine always struck me as once you go to the "dark side" you're stuck with there products. Not really a bad thing IMO. So which is the better package setting aside the $300 price diff?

Little help please

John
post #6 of 6 Old 12-06-2015

I just purchased the B&G instrument pack from defender. Can't wait to install it. I'm also considering the Low Current auto pilot pack to replace my ST4000. I have another thread on that.

I am replacing the existing (old), raymarine instruments.

I am also going to replace my Garmin 441s w/ a Zeus2 or Vulcan.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in