USB Interface GPS G-Mouse VK-162 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2016 Thread Starter

USB Interface GPS G-Mouse VK-162

I'm always looking for inexpensive redundancy. What am I missing, if anything, by buying this Chinese made GPS on the cheap. Will it work for my laptop?

VK-162 GMOUSE G-MOUSE GP

Amazon.com: New GPS Engine Board Module Antenna USB Interface G-Mouse VK-162 by Bcn: Automotive

"Tell 'em I'm busy. I'm on a sails call."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2016

Re: USB Interface GPS G-Mouse VK-162

US GlobalSat BU-353-S4 SiRF Star IV USB Cable GPS

No ties to this place, never even shopped there. Found mine by chance in a computer store knew what it was so I bought it.

The chipset in the one in the link has been documented to work with a number of different systems. It worked for me easily on a old toshiba laptop running linux and opencpn.
I checked the specs on the one you listed, it uses a different chipset, it should work. But hey these are computers, nothing is promised!
That is a Canadian store so I bet you can find one for much cheaper in the States.
Old 03-22-2016

My concern right now would be what kind of a serial to USB adapter they use. There are basically two types that are most common: FTDI and Prolific. In general you won't have any problems with the FTDI chipset. Prolific is a different matter. Some of the cheap Chinese manufacturers pirated the Prolific code a few years back. As a result Prolific changed their drivers. As a result of that, many of the cheaper adapters quit working with Windows 8 and beyond. Not sure about how these will work on any of the various flavors of Linux.

So, bottom line is that you want to be certain that any device like this will work with the operating system that you are using.

Old 03-22-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"So, bottom line is that you want to be certain that any device like this will work with the operating system that you are using"
To really be sure, you need to look for a Windows logo on the product package. The problem is, submitting a product to be logo-certified by Microsoft used to cost 5 figures, and that's one certification for just one OS, so most of the lower-priced vendors just skip it. But if it is logo certified, a product has gone through extensive testing and is reasonably certain to work.
Old 03-22-2016

I've used this one (no info on the OP's original choice) for 5+ years with no issues, has worked well on Windows XP and Windows 7 no problem.

-- Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanski View Post

No ties to this place, never even shopped there. Found mine by chance in a computer store knew what it was so I bought it.

The chipset in the one in the link has been documented to work with a number of different systems. It worked for me easily on a old toshiba laptop running linux and opencpn.
I checked the specs on the one you listed, it uses a different chipset, it should work. But hey these are computers, nothing is promised!
That is a Canadian store so I bet you can find one for much cheaper in the States.
Old 03-22-2016

+2 for the Globalsat USB GPS. Works well with Windows 7 64-bit. It's cheaper on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-3.../dp/B008200LHW
Old 03-22-2016 Thread Starter

Sounds like the Globalsat USB GPS is the way to go....

"Tell 'em I'm busy. I'm on a sails call."
Old 09-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanski View Post

Can I ask how you managed to read data off the vk-162 g-mouse usb gps ?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in