Struggling to get a good image with in hulk transducer mount - SailNet Community
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By doggerel
  • 2 Post By travlin-easy
  • 1 Post By doggerel
  • 1 Post By JimsCAL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-28-2016 Thread Starter

Struggling to get a good image with in hulk transducer mount

Thanks autocorrect for changing hull to hulk....

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to put my new garmin 44dv to use. The old autohelm unit was epoxied to the hull under the sink. I tried filling a ziplok with water and putting it on the floor on its side and put the transducer ontop of it but couldn't get a signal. Am I doing it wrong? Should the transducer be INSIDE the bag of water to "test" properly?

I am using it right beside the old transducer so the hull spot should be good. Is there a chance this type of transducer doesn't want to shoot through? I sometimes got a reading of 2ft (should be 7ft depth) but it would flicker and go back to no reading. I just need to confirm a good spot for a reading so I can epoxy it down.

At least stepping the mast went well!

Any help would be great

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-28-2016

Re: Struggling to get a good image with in hulk transducer mount

The first time I tried to do this with my Garmin I had the same kind of spotty result. Then I found the auto gain setting for the sounder. When I took the sounder off auto and instead manually set the gain I got consistent and accurate readings.
Guyfromthenorth likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-28-2016

The problem with the plastic bag technique is that it's impossible to eliminate the air beneath the bag, thus making transmission through the hull quite difficult, especially on auto-gain. As stated above, set the unit to manual gain, crank it up and you may get better results. Additionally, moisten the hull and the plastic bag, which should help some with the transmission of the signal.

The correct transducer has no method of attaching it to a kick-up bracket, or any other kind of bracket. It's just a round transducer with a wire coming out near the top.

Good luck,

Gary

post #4 of 10 Old 05-28-2016 Thread Starter

Great info guys thanks. I'll try the gain trick and see if it changes things. It IS a transducer made for an exterior bracket but I'm hoping to make it work anyways in hull. I dont understand it but they all come with bracket mount transducers and to buy the through hull or in hull transducers cost the same as the entire unit did in the first place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-28-2016

I think the transducer made to mount in the hull is more powerful (is that the right word?) But I used the transom mount with bracket that came with my gpsmap545s shooting through the hull of my 1984 thick hulled classic plastic bedded in plumbers putty and I can see fish and weeds. Adequate for me.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-28-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggerel View Post
I think the transducer made to mount in the hull is more powerful (is that the right word?) But I used the transom mount with bracket that came with my gpsmap545s shooting through the hull of my 1984 thick hulled classic plastic bedded in plumbers putty and I can see fish and weeds. Adequate for me.
Good to hear, I bought some putty and was going to use it to make a pool for the gflex epoxy. Maybe I can use it to build a pool and fill it with water to test it too.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-29-2016

I just had to top up mine with a bit more water, wasn't getting much of a reading just lots of noise.
Must have been a very small amount of air in there but it did cause me to lose depth.
Come to the conclusion that any bubbles must make a huge difference, couldn't have taken much more than a half oz to fix.
It's in an awkward location under a holding tank, have to use a turkey baster to fill...Can see it but forearms are too big to reach it.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-29-2016

Never tried the water bag trick, but instructions I've read said put it in the bag. I had good luck putting some grease on the bottom of the transducer and then pushing it lightly into the proposed spot on the hull, twisting back and forth to make a good connection. I then epoxied the transducer in place.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

I went back to the boat today. I tried the ziplok again to no avail. What I did was used a tub of plumbers putty and built a "pool" and filled it with water then plunked the transducer in it. The "downvu" setting pinged 6ft (the actual slip depth! ) then lost signal and went back to flashing 6ft over and over. I tried finding gain options but didn't see any. Just by chance I tried "traditional sonar" from the menu and bingo 6ft and scanning bottom nicely.

I mixed a kit of gflex, scrubbed the transducer and the hull with sandpaper, wiped with acetone, and epoxied the transducer in place and filled the "dam" with the leftover epoxy. All appears well (as long as the epoxy cures right! ) and was getting consistent readings when I left for the night.

The "downvu" style sonar from garmin may not like shooting through the hull but I will tinker with depth and settings. The important part is the other frequencies appear to work just fine!

post #10 of 10 Old 06-01-2016

Have done this install on two different boats. Cleaned the hull and transducer. Made a cone shaped pile of silicone and pressed the transducer down into it and let dry. The cone shape allows for less air trapped between hull and transducer. Both times the sensor worked perfect. And if or when it does have to be removed in future, very easy to pull apart without damaging anything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in