Do we need a chart plotter at all? Will 2 iPads suffice? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 245 Old 06-26-2016

Re: Do we need a chart plotter at all? Will 2 iPads suffice?

Redundancy includes paper, not just more electronics. Buy the paper charts as backup. If GPS bites the dust, becomes unreliable, then what? Paper charts are not dead. Neither is traditional navigation, tailored for a small platform. And by the way, practice traditional navigation. It does no good to wait until SHTF. Like any other seamanship skill, practice results in confidence. Then, if you lose GPS, it's just a seamless transition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 245 Old 06-26-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellemark32 View Post
Redundancy includes paper, not just more electronics. Buy the paper charts as backup. If GPS bites the dust, becomes unreliable, then what? Paper charts are not dead. Neither is traditional navigation, tailored for a small platform. And by the way, practice traditional navigation. It does no good to wait until SHTF. Like any other seamanship skill, practice results in confidence. Then, if you lose GPS, it's just a seamless transition.
We have paper as well. But I'm honestly not too worried about the GPS system going down. Even so, where we're sailing, as long as the magnetic poles don't go down as well, we should be able to find our way toward a land mass pretty easily.
post #33 of 245 Old 08-07-2016
Banned

We just did 1K miles with an iPad chartplotter in all kinds of conditions including 45 knot squalls with heavy rain. Don't fall for the BS. These things are one of the best solutions out there. Period.

post #34 of 245 Old 08-07-2016

Smackdaddy, can you get the ipad with a non-glare screen?
post #35 of 245 Old 08-07-2016

Quote:
If GPS bites the dust, becomes unreliable, then what?
Electronic charts still work with traditional navigation techniques.

Formally noelex77, but I cannot access that account.
post #36 of 245 Old 08-07-2016
Banned

Quote:
Smackdaddy, can you get the ipad with a non-glare screen?
We have the standard iPad2 in a LifeProof case and glare wasn't a problem at all.
post #37 of 245 Old 08-07-2016

I have and continue to go everywhere using nothing but paper charts and a GPS that gives me lat/long. The problem with all of these electronic plotters is you can either view a small area in good detail or a large area with no detail. Open up a paper chart or even a chart kit and you have both good detail and large area--very useful on the coast of Maine, or anywhere you want to see more than a mile or two in any direction. Plus, I think plotting your position occasionally, etc., keeps the old brain cells working for when you need them. It is way too easy to let the chart plotter do all the work and then suddenly the fog closes in or the batteries die and you have no idea where you are. Sailed down to the Caribbean with several laptops running various charting programs and they were useful, but they all died at one time or another--usually while on passage. iPads are probably more reliable, and I would consider a laptop with a SSD for a down-below plotting station, but you do need something you can use during a total whiteout rain situation where you are drenched inside your foul weather gear it is blowing so hard--probably could seal an iPad inside some big zip locs to achieve that, but I don't think you could use the touch screen very effectively then. Depending on where you are going in the world you don't want any major piece of electronics mounted in the cockpit or it will be unmounted soon enough by quiet hands in the middle of the night.

Last edited by 413761; 08-07-2016 at 10:12 AM.
post #38 of 245 Old 08-07-2016

Because you shouldn't need a chart plotter at all you certainly do not need an iPad or two or any number. If you want an iPad, or a chart plotter, fine.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #39 of 245 Old 08-07-2016

Lets see now, I'm moving at the breakneck speed of 7 MPH and I need to see details of what is 40 miles ahead. Hmmm! Think I'll just zoom in on my GPS/Plotter and see what is a quarter mile ahead in high resolution, and if it's nighttime, I'll fire up the 3G Radar that overlays the GPS/Plotter and make sure I'm not gonna run over something, or something is gonna run over me. Oh, and if it fails, I have two more of them on the boat, one handheld and one backup. However, I don't believe I'll ever need them - I've never had a GPS/Plotter failure in nearly two decades, and never had my Loran-C fail in all the years prior to GPS.

Yeah, I know, sextants don't usually fail either, unless you happen to drop them and bend something, or break the mirrors. And, the closest I could come in actual position with a sextant was within 9 miles of my actual position. Not good, especially when sailing up Delaware or Chesapeake Bay at night.

Oh, my GPS/Plotter also displays my depth on the screen, the actual depth, not the depth on a chart that was last updated in 1947. It also displays the time, date, battery voltage, lat/lon, distance to destination, time to destination, bearing, bearing to destination, COG, SOG, course deviation, and anything else that I wish to display to make the trip safer. I can change the display intensity in increments of 10 percent at a time as the surrounding light grows dimmer, thereby maintaining my night vision, and switch to an all red display if I wish to make nighttime reading easier.

My engine instruments are not lighted, therefore I cannot see them at night unless I fire up my red flashlight, however, they too can be interfaced with the GPS/Plotter and at the touch of a page button, I can place them along side my chart.

Today's GPS/Plotters are incredible devices that not only make navigating much, much easier, but they also should be considered as a multi-function, marine, safety device. They can monitor so many things at the same time, provide visual and audible alarms for those devices or functions, and do this in microseconds while you prop up your feet and sail for some distant destination just over the horizon, or across the oceans. And, it does all this efficiently and reliably, day and night, rain or shine. The beauty of this is it's all in one, relatively small, package.

Nuff said,

Gary

Last edited by travlin-easy; 08-07-2016 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling
post #40 of 245 Old 08-07-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
We just did 1K miles with an iPad chartplotter in all kinds of conditions including 45 knot squalls with heavy rain. Don't fall for the BS. These things are one of the best solutions out there. Period.
Do you get real time radar to display on the I pad?
Enough said

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in