VHF picks up weather on 16 - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By aloof
  • 1 Post By SVAuspicious

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2016 Thread Starter

VHF picks up weather on 16

My VHF is suddenly picking up weather on channel 16 and other non WX channels. It is scrambled in with the regular transmission on those channels. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-24-2016

Re: VHF picks up weather on 16

Your VHF is busted.
MarkofSeaLife and Zarathu like this.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #3 of 9 Old 06-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloof View Post
Your VHF is busted.
Or it has an electronic brain virus, like when humans can taste colors.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-25-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillenme View Post
My VHF is suddenly picking up weather on channel 16 and other non WX channels. It is scrambled in with the regular transmission on those channels. Any ideas?
There are lots of reasons this could happen. Some are internal in which case fixing is too expensive to be worth while. Some are external--usually mixing of signals--that are localized. Go sailing. If it happens 10 miles away it is your radio. If it doesn't happen when you move a significant distance it is geography.
Zarathu likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-26-2016
Cruiser

Our B&G V50 started randomly doing that a couple of years ago. A firmware update took care of that bug...

If you have one of those similar VHF models from Navico/Simrad/Lawrence, that may be all that is necessary...

In case this is helpful.

Cheers!

Bill

post #6 of 9 Old 06-26-2016

Depending on the vintage, especially if it's an older VHF with push button band selection, you are likely experiencing the buildup of salt air crystals on the PC board that houses all those push button switches.

If this is the problem, the solution is fairly simple, but it does involve the disassembly of the radio and access to the PC board, which then can be lightly rinsed with fresh water, then dried with a hair dryer and reinstalled. The switches themselves are not hermetically sealed, which means they must be thoroughly dried before reinstalling the PC board. This process will take several hours at best, therefore, if I were in your shoes, I would replace the VHF with one of the newer ones with AIS. Yes, it's a bit costly, but I'm not leaving a dime to the kids anyway, so cost is not a problem when it comes to my personal safety while cruising.

Good luck,

Gary
post #7 of 9 Old 06-27-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for the posts! Sounds like replacing is probably my best option. It's not a very old radio, but race safety regulations now require GPS DSC capabilities (currently a NMEA 183 connection to the chart plotter, which means both plotter and radio must be on) and I'm sure it's only a matter time until they add AIS to that requirement, so might as well do it now...
post #8 of 9 Old 06-27-2016

Dock

Wait!

Do not replace it yet untill you have done the most obvious fault in anything electrical: Connections!

I dont know much about radios specifically, but i would redo the electrical and antenna connections because couldnt a bad one cause the problem?

If not, a new vhf is quite cheap.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #9 of 9 Old 06-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillenme View Post
Might be helpful or might be completely off base here... Our work radios, and my marine VHF as well, have "scan" modes where it will monitor more than 1 channel at a time. Could it be set to WX scan so it's finding the WX forecast and sounding it off even though your primary transmit selected channel is 16?

Again, it's a total shot in the dark, but I know my work radio I always scan 15 (emergency on our restricted band) and talk on 44, so even while the radio display is showing "on 44" I hear 15 sqawk through if someone is transmitting on it.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in