Masthead Wind Transducer Compatibility - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By knuterikt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-21-2016 Thread Starter

Thumbs down Masthead Wind Transducer Compatibility

Hi All

I am upgrading the electronics on my Scanmar 35 and am awaiting the arrival of the B & G Vulcan V7 chartplotter/MFD I recently purchased. I would like to incorporate the wind speed/direction functionality of the device but currently lack a masthead vane/transducer. My question is, will any 2000nmea masthead transducer communicate with this device through a network or are only certain ones compatible, Taking it a bit further, will my current speed/depth transducers work in network with this device? While I am mechanically inclined and comfortable with general handyman projects this is my first stab at messing about with the electronics end of the boat so consider me a rote beginner. Any insights or help greatly appreciated.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-21-2016

Re: Masthead Wind Transducer Compatibility

Any N2K transducer will work,,but you need a unit of same Måke to calibrate the transducer.
The old sensors might be something else NMEA 0183 or ... Do you know what it is.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-21-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
Any N2K transducer will work,,but you need a unit of same Måke to calibrate the transducer.
The old sensors might be something else NMEA 0183 or ... Do you know what it is.
Thank you for your response.

So, if I understand correctly, I will need a B & G or Simrad wind unit for this to function properly?

As for the other equipment, I can only make it to my boat on the weekends, so I will have to check on the speed and depth while I am there. I think they are raymarine or garmin so guessing those sensors won't network either?

I have a lot to learn. . .

Thanks again!

post #4 of 6 Old 07-21-2016
SFBay Sailor

Dock

No, you won't need a Navico transducer, but you will need to have one that is NMEA2000 to have it work over the NMEA 2000 network. Some older transducers are NMEA0183, or even analogue. (B&G spelling...) The difficulty is that the raw NMEA2000 sentences will not be calibrated, and you will need some means to doing so, which is why a display that matches the transducer may be a help.

The Triton instruments/displays can be calibrated in the Triton processor/display to account for misalignment, but the Vulcan Operating manual does not mention calibration as far as a quick search shows.

Current B&G high end stuff such as VMHU is 3 phase analogue, and most/all of the paddlewheels/anemometers are simple pulse rate, as they update faster than a Network transducer, and can be calibrated in the H5000/WTP3 p

Last edited by nhsail; 07-21-2016 at 06:59 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-22-2016

We have a system with stuff from different makes.
The old Raymarine sensors (wind, depth, speed) all connects to the N2K (NMEA 2000) using a Raymarine ITC-5.
I have two Raymarine i70 displays that can show all my sensor data including AIS.
The i70 can be used to calibrate the Raymarine sensors.

The Furuno nn3d more (plotter) can also display and use the sensor data.
Note: Raymarine call their N2K Seatalk ng, using different plugs but there are adapter cables so you can build a heterogeneous network.
baywater likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-29-2016
not so Junior Member....

hi Mike, Im getting ready to go for the B&G Vulcan 5 (or 7) unit and had similar questions because I'll need to get depth temp speed sensors and a wind array. Was hoping to ease the pain abit by purchasing a non B&G nmea 2000 wind unit and eventually go for the B&G Forward Scan depth sensor which has received some great notices. Any suggestions on ways to shave overall cost on all the sensors in a way which will not compromise the usefullness of the plotter and SailSteer functions?????
Any others with experience with the Vulcan and its merits ?
tia

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in