VHF & AIS OPTIONS: Garmin vhf 200 w Garmin AIS 600 trxcvr vs Standard Horiz GX2200... - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 08-16-2016 Thread Starter

Question VHF & AIS OPTIONS: Garmin vhf 200 w Garmin AIS 600 trxcvr vs Standard Horiz GX2200...

VHF & AIS OPTIONS: Garmin vhf 200 w Garmin AIS 600 transceiver (share the vhf antenna) versus Standard Horizon GX2200 vhf(has its own AIS receiver only) with no additional AIS transceiver. (or maybe another transceiver if I can shut off the SH AIS receiver so we don't have to listen to a collision alarm 24/7)
There will be a new Garmin gps chartplotter which will be very cooperative with the Garmin vhf and AIS unit.

The old Standard Horizon gasfet technology Titan+ vhf is still working well (after 20 years!!) but we think its time to get a new vhf that has new technology - like a DSC button for one thing. This old vhf has been way better than awesome!

Please respond with opinions and experiences; I am especially interested in comments on the Garmin vhf 200 as Garmin states that they make this radio themselves and do not sub it out to major manufacturers. I am very comfortable with SH and Icom vhfs.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 08-16-2016

Re: VHF & AIS OPTIONS: Garmin vhf 200 w Garmin AIS 600 trxcvr vs Standard Horiz GX220

Hello,

I don't think you are making a valid comparison here. Do you want to broadcast and receive AIS info or just receive it? If it's just receive then you have a number of possible products:
SH 2200
Garmin VHF 300 AIS
B&G V50
Lowrance Link8
Raymarine Ray 70
Others too?

The SH radio uses NMEA0183 while the others can use NMEA 2000 or 0183.

If you want to broadcast AIS then each vendor also has a transceiver.

I have the B&G and I'm happy with it. When I bought it there were a few bugs but the latest firmware seems to have solved those problems.

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryL For This Useful Post:
NadiaonCatalina34 (08-18-2016)
post #3 of 56 Old 08-16-2016
HANUMAN

Re: VHF & AIS OPTIONS: Garmin vhf 200 w Garmin AIS 600 trxcvr vs Standard Horiz GX220

4 years ago I upgraded to a Standard Horizon VHF with AIS receiver (no transmitter). I got it for one reason only, to see commercial traffic in the fog when it rolls in unexpectedly on Long Island/Block Island Sound.

I have two things to note:

1. I wish I had spend a few more dollars and purchased the model with integrated GPS. I like redundancy. It does not send information to my old chart plotter so it was just a lot of extra wiring and labor to get the GPS signal to the radio.

2. It works remarkably well as a fog elimination system. I have not gotten stuck in the pea soup one single time since installing it! I'm seriously afraid that if I install radar the sun would not set.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
The Following User Says Thank You to RobGallagher For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 56 Old 08-16-2016

I did a Youtube review on the SH GX2200 about a year ago. I should warn you, I am not SV Delos or Peter Jackson, the video is poorly lit, unscripted with bad sound. But- it does show a GX2200 in operation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 56 Old 08-16-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hello,

I don't think you are making a valid comparison here. Do you want to broadcast and receive AIS info or just receive it? If it's just receive then you have a number of possible products:
SH 2200
Garmin VHF 300 AIS
B&G V50
Lowrance Link8
Raymarine Ray 70
Others too?

The SH radio uses NMEA0183 while the others can use NMEA 2000 or 0183.

If you want to broadcast AIS then each vendor also has a transceiver.

I have the B&G and I'm happy with it. When I bought it there were a few bugs but the latest firmware seems to have solved those problems.

Good luck,
Barry
Thanks!
We originally thought receive AIS only, but have moved on to transceive for the AIS.
I won't consider Raymarine or Navico for this situation (Lowrance, B&G, and Simard are all Navico.)
This is mostly because if I am not going to take advantage of the smooth communication and added features of using the Garmin units with a Garmin gps, then I'll make my choice based upon the vhf manufacturer, quality and reliability.

I think the real question might be, is there any reason to choose the Standard Horizon gx2200 over the Garmin vhf 200? I don't want a lower model unit than the gx2200 because we want automatic fog signals to use with the hailer speaker.
I have not found any comments any where about the Garmin vhf 200.
post #6 of 56 Old 08-16-2016

Hello Again,

I have a Garmin 740S plotter, B&G VHF 50, Raymarine EVO 100 AP, and older ST60 wind/speed/depth.

All are networked together using a NMEA 2000 network.

Regarding AIS, the B&G is receiving the AIS data and the Garmin plotter displays it. I can touch a target on the display and get all of the relevant information. The garmin plotter is calcuating Time to CPA, distance to CPS, etc. I can then use the DSC functions of the VHF to initiate a call, etc. The B&G radio is getting the GPS information from the Garmin unit, and it can display speed, course, distance to waypoint, etc,

I don't know what a garmin VHF would do that the B&G unit doesn't do. Perhaps answer a DSC call on the plotter?

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 56 Old 08-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
I have a Garmin 740S plotter, B&G VHF 50, Raymarine EVO 100 AP, and older ST60 wind/speed/depth.
Just to clarify, the VHF 50 does not have built in GPS receiver, correct? So it gets your GPS position from your chartplotter to display AIS info on its own screen, or do you not even bother with that connection?

Hailey, Idaho & Bellingham, WA
Sailing blog:
post #8 of 56 Old 08-16-2016

Whatever you get, try to make sure its NMEA2000.

Also, if you get a transponder I'd really use a separate antenna for it mounted on the spread or the rear rail. It's great redundancy, as your VHF can use the AIS one and vice versa - my VHF and AIS units are next to each other for this reason.

I've got the Simrad RS35 which is the same as the B&G 50 unit, and no it doesn't have internal GPS, though it's NMEA2000 so easy to hook up. It had a ton of bugs at first but the new firmware seems to have fixed all the issues. I also have a separate digital yachts AIS transponder/receiver, so the AIS function on the radio is disabled, so I can't tell you how well that works.

I have an NSS8 and I can't make a DSC call from the plotter unfortunately - though I can see and display target info from the MFP display. How does yours work Barry?

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

The Following User Says Thank You to alctel For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 56 Old 08-16-2016

Hello,

I am not able to make a DSC call from the Garmin 740. I have a hand held Standard Horizon VHF with DSC. I have configured both the hand held and the B&G V50 with MMSI info for each so I can make DSC calls from one to the other but not with the Garmin Plotter.

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I have an NSS8 and I can't make a DSC call from the plotter unfortunately - though I can see and display target info from the MFP display. How does yours work Barry?

Barry Lenoble
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #10 of 56 Old 08-16-2016

Dock

You are getting a new Garmin chart plotter?

Then it would seem to ve the better idea to have all your other units Garmin too. Then if something doesnt talk to another bit you can lump it all on a Garmin tech. They can't say 'email SH, its their fault'.

Mark
RobGallagher likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:

Tags
ais , garmin 200 , standard horizon , transceiver , vhf

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in