Looking for a Used Datamarine S200DL Digital Depth Sounder Display - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-29-2017 Thread Starter

Looking for a Used Datamarine S200DL Digital Depth Sounder Display

Hi,

Just bought my first used sailboat and need to replace a few items. The first is the Datamarine S200DL Digital Depth Sounder Display. LCD display flickers on/off. The transducer seems OK since the occasional correct display I see seems to match the depth I expect in the area.

I would first like to just replace the display unit with the same model if I can find it. Later, I will look to upgrade to a newer brand / unit.

Does anyone have a known source for used Datamarine equipment? DMI Marine, the company that purchased the inventory for Datamarine do not have replacement parts for this unit.

If no S200DL's are around, does anyone know a compatible unit (form factor and transducer input)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-29-2017

Re: Looking for a Used Datamarine S200DL Digital Depth Sounder Display

Surprised that DMI doesn't have parts and can't fix the display. I don't think there's anything special about it. Won't be cheap however.

FWIW the Datamarine transducer is a standard 200kHz unit and will work with any display that used a transducer of the same frequency. I had my Datamarine transducer go bad several years ago and bought a Norcross Hawkeye refurbished depth system (cost about $65) and used the glue-in transducer with the Datamarine display. Last year the display died, so I mounted the 2 inch Hawkeye display in the Datamarine housing. This will work until I decide it's time to replace all the instruments. Right now the Datamarine Wind and Speed/Log instruments are working just fine. Not bad for 30+ year old electronics.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #3 of 18 Old 08-29-2017

Long shot here. Sometimes in the display, the polarizing strip wears out/fades? and can read part or as you say looks as if its flickering.
If it is the problem put on polarized sunglasses and see if problem goes away.
Thinking?? these polarized strips can be purchased inexpensively and replaced.
Otherwise, check out of wire to display has been compromised or has connections that have to be cleaned up.

Last edited by HUGOSALT; 08-29-2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: left out point

post #4 of 18 Old 08-30-2017 Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick replies HUGOSALT and JimsCAL.

I had been looking for the full display unit electronics from DMI. That is the part they do not have as a whole unit. I sent them a request to get an idea of the services cost to repair the LCD-related parts. Looking at their website, I agree, it will not be cheap.

Thanks for the summary of the work you did to fix it with the Hawkeye.

I pulled the unit out so I can check on the LCD display connections and will grab my daughter's Disney Moana 3-D glasses and give that a shot!

eBay seems to be light on Datamarine units / parts. Any other sources out there?

Thanks again!
post #5 of 18 Old 08-30-2017
Sailor

I had the same issue and it turned out to be a loose connection on an inline fuse. After fixing several times I removed the fuse and no longer have the issue. The circuit is protected at the panel so the fuse seemed redundant anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gladrags1 For This Useful Post:
jprjpr (08-30-2017)
post #6 of 18 Old 08-30-2017

I may have one that I think was damaged by lightning. (I don't throw much away)

Not sure what inside it is good or bad.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-30-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks ggray.

I disconnected the transponder today and powered up the display. Surprisingly, I actually got the expected "MSG" code on a very crisp LCD display, no flickering. So I think the issue may be in the connection to the transponder similar to Gladrags1's comment. I am going to look in that direction first. And will let you know if I might need the damaged display for parts.

Thank you!
post #8 of 18 Old 08-30-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
I had the same issue and it turned out to be a loose connection on an inline fuse. After fixing several times I removed the fuse and no longer have the issue. The circuit is protected at the panel so the fuse seemed redundant anyway.

Careful doing this. The fuse at the circuit panel is there to protect the wiring. If the current exceeds the fuses limit it will blow before the wire heats up and causes a fire. The fuse inline leading to a piece of electronics is there to protect the instrument. The panel fuse might be 15 amps and the inline fuel would likely be 5 amps, 2 amps or possibly less. Removing an inline fuse puts the instrument at risk. Better off replacing the inline fuse with a newer/better one. If it continues to blow a fuse, look for problems or shorts in the wiring.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-30-2017
Sailor

Looking for a Used Datamarine S200DL Digital Depth Sounder Display

True. The fuse wasn't blowing. The connection inside the fuse container kept failing. The container wasn't air or water tight really and corrosion really took its toll. Fuse was ok.

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
post #10 of 18 Old 10-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprjpr View Post
Hi,

Just bought my first used sailboat and need to replace a few items. The first is the Datamarine S200DL Digital Depth Sounder Display. LCD display flickers on/off. The transducer seems OK since the occasional correct display I see seems to match the depth I expect in the area.

I would first like to just replace the display unit with the same model if I can find it. Later, I will look to upgrade to a newer brand / unit.

Does anyone have a known source for used Datamarine equipment? DMI Marine, the company that purchased the inventory for Datamarine do not have replacement parts for this unit.

If no S200DL's are around, does anyone know a compatible unit (form factor and transducer input)?

Thanks!
If you are still looking for this depth sounder, I have a complete unit removed from my Hunter 34. I just put in on craigslist for 75.00 if interested.
John.
tlosman likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in