Garmin vs Tacktick/Raymarine - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 02-15-2018

Re: Garmin vs Tacktick/Raymarine

p.s. I will be a huge win if inReach ever gets the ability to download a grib file. Text limited Iím told, but canít believe is has to be that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 02-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
p.s. I will be a huge win if inReach ever gets the ability to download a grib file. Text limited Iím told, but canít believe is has to be that way.
These are MASSIVE data files. I can't see that happening anytime soon with that device. But who knows...

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #13 of 20 Old 02-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
These are MASSIVE data files. I can't see that happening anytime soon with that device. But who knows...
Would you say a few kilobytes on average, depending on scale? The inReach downloads weather now, I can't see why it couldn't be modified to do this too. Of course, I would expect it to be a premium fee, but could be so simple and much less expensive than a full service sat phone, with data.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 20 Old 02-16-2018

They are about 15 kB for 1 degree area coverage. A text file is about 1 byte per character.

Plato
post #15 of 20 Old 02-17-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
They are about 15 kB for 1 degree area coverage. A text file is about 1 byte per character.
Please explain "1 degree area coverage". Do you mean an area roughly 60 miles by 60 miles?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #16 of 20 Old 02-17-2018

Quote:
That didn't sound right, so I had to go look it up. Here's a random source that refers to 1 degree of spacing, not coverage. 15kB would provide all grib data for 8 separate time periods over a coverage of nearly 1,000 square miles. At least according to these folks.

What are GRIB files? - Franks-Weather - The Weather Window

Quote:
If you are using a satellite phone then files sizes can be critical. A file of GRIB data at a 1 degree latitude/longitude spacing covering the area 30N to 45N, 10W to 15E, giving wind arrows for eight times ie 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, 96, 120 hours ahead (12 hourly to 3 days and 24 hourly to 5 days) would be 15x25x3x8 ie 9000 values.

The file containing these data is less than 15 kb. Output for half the area would be half as much ie less than 8 kb. If only winds had been requested, then file sizes would be 2/3 of these values.
When making a huge offshore passage, a file of this size would be useful. Often substantially less will do.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #17 of 20 Old 02-17-2018

Let's say it is the size of a few thousand text messages. Still seems it could be done on an inReach, just as effectively as on a satellite phone. Even if it took a minute to download, it would be terrific. The device already has the capability to receive data. It just occurred to me that it will receive programming updates via satellite, so it has to have the ability to download files of this size. Even bigger I would think.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #18 of 20 Old 02-17-2018

Yes, my bad. 15 kB grib file covers about 15 degrees surface data both ways with 1 degree 'resolution' interval. Still, when it comes to a true satellite data transfer, it is a pretty large file, potentially 'gumming up' the communication bandwidth if lots of users chose such a service. I would think that inReach is capable of receiving such large files now, but it is maybe the format that is not part of the current programming in that device. I'm curious about what their current 'detailed' weather forecast looks like. I would be happy if grib files were automatically sent to the unit just once every 12 hours as part of the service plan.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Plato
post #19 of 20 Old 02-17-2018

I don't recall the area covered by the current inReach weather, but it's more like 25 or 50 miles. Virtually useless for offshore planning a day or two ahead. I would also love to get a synoptic chart along with the grib. That would be a winner.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #20 of 20 Old 02-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndimpression View Post
What im trying to get to is wind, speed, depth and compass.
If people are looking to do wireless wind, came across this at the Boston boat show last weekend.
I don't know much about them but they are waterproof. He had the units soaking in a 5 gallon bucket of water. They seems to be geared towards people that are using tablets/smart phones as a chart plotter with GPS capability. I thought they pretty neat & for $350.00...

SailTimer Wind Instrument?

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in